Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese Passport Through Marriage

Portuguese Passport Through Marriage

Old Jul 19th 2017, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese Passport Through Marriage

Julie F
I have not followed this up as I am going to Portugal for the winter and am going tp start my application there.(hopefully avoiding the consulate).
I maybe wrong but i don't think you have to pass a language test if you are married to a Portuguese citizen.Perhaps someone can correct me if that's wrong.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Julie F
I have not followed this up as I am going to Portugal for the winter and am going tp start my application there.(hopefully avoiding the consulate).
I maybe wrong but i don't think you have to pass a language test if you are married to a Portuguese citizen.Perhaps someone can correct me if that's wrong.
No, you are correct, if you're married you don't need to do the language test, you do have to have been married for at least 3 years.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ukkram
I think you may mean PT citizenship. One does not need to speak a word of Portuguese to hold a PT passport.
That's incorrect unless you are married or in a civil partnership with a Portuguese.
Instituto dos Registos e Notariado: Aquisição da Nacionalidade

The Portuguese exam required is called "CIPLE", costs around 80€ I believe.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

JulieF is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks TS for the update -- and boa sorte!

The latest version of the law seems to be placing a greater emphasis on language (at least for those of us who don’t currently live in Portugal). If you don’t have the language, you have to prove your connection to the country, and some of the criteria are a little vague (how many visits would be enough?).

PRESUNÇÕES DE EXISTÊNCIA DE LIGAÇÃO EFETIVA À COMUNIDADE
NACIONAL

Conheça a língua portuguesa e esteja casado ou viva em união de facto com português originário, há 5 anos…

Quais os documentos que o requerente pode apresentar para ajudar a fundamentar a ligação efetiva � comunidade nacional?
• Residência legal em Portugal;
• Deslocações regulares a Portugal;
• Propriedade ou arrendamento de imóvel em Portugal há mais de 3 anos;
• Residência ou ligação a uma comunidade portuguesa do país onde reside;
• Certificado do conhecimento da língua portuguesa.
Source: http://www.portugal.gov.pt/media/303...ionalidade.pdf
Old Jul 19th 2017, 10:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
I think you may mean PT citizenship. One does not need to speak a word of Portuguese to hold a PT passport.
Originally Posted by sherbert
No, I don't. If you check the requirements for getting a PT Passport:
Actually you do. The only prerequisite for a Portuguese passport is Portuguese citizenship. You will need to became a Portuguese citizen before you can obtain a Portuguese passport.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 11:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JulieF
Thanks TS for the update -- and boa sorte!

The latest version of the law seems to be placing a greater emphasis on language (at least for those of us who don’t currently live in Portugal). If you don’t have the language, you have to prove your connection to the country, and some of the criteria are a little vague (how many visits would be enough?).

PRESUNÇÕES DE EXISTÊNCIA DE LIGAÇÃO EFETIVA À COMUNIDADE
NACIONAL

Conheça a língua portuguesa e esteja casado ou viva em união de facto com português originário, há 5 anos…

Quais os documentos que o requerente pode apresentar para ajudar a fundamentar a ligação efetiva � comunidade nacional?
• Residência legal em Portugal;
• Deslocações regulares a Portugal;
• Propriedade ou arrendamento de imóvel em Portugal há mais de 3 anos;
• Residência ou ligação a uma comunidade portuguesa do país onde reside;
• Certificado do conhecimento da língua portuguesa.
Source: http://www.portugal.gov.pt/media/303...ionalidade.pdf
This was in the mod queue because of the link and language.

I have approved the post but if someone would kindly come along and translate into English please, that would be helpful all round.

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:02 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
This was in the mod queue because of the link and language.

I have approved the post but if someone would kindly come along and translate into English please, that would be helpful all round.

Thanks
REQUIREMENTS FOR EFFECTIVE CONNECTION WITH THE NATIONAL COMMUNITY
Know the Portuguese language and be married or live in union with a Portuguese national for 5 years...

What documents can the applicant present to help substantiate effective connection to the national community?
• A legal residence in Portugal;
• Regular trips to Portugal;
• Property or rental of property in Portugal for more than 3 years;
• Residence or connection to the Portuguese community in the country where you reside;
• Certificate of knowledge of the Portuguese language.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Harjot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JulieF
I too have struggled to find out what steps to follow -- many thanks to toot sweets for posting the info. It's about three months since your last post: what happened? Were you successful??

Has anyone reading this been successful in getting citizenship through this route? About how long did it take? Sherbert, any update? Has anyone been turned down because their "knowledge of the Portuguese language and integration into Portuguese society" was insufficient?

In case anyone is working on this, it's now possible to pay by credit card:
Instituto dos Registos e Notariado: Nova modalidade de pagamento para o pedido de Nacionalidade

While I wait for my police certificates to arrive, I hope to hear some encouraging updates!
Hi. I am about to apply for PT citizenship through marriage.Plz can you help me that where to apply , I meant can I apply Portuguese consulate Manchester plz? Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:09 am
Just Joined

JulieF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Harjot
Hi. I am about to apply for PT citizenship through marriage.Plz can you help me that where to apply , I meant can I apply Portuguese consulate Manchester plz? Thanks
It depends where you live. I tried contacting London but I was redirected to Manchester because I live in the north.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

hello,
Yes you can apply at manchester,but be prepared for a very long and frustrating time. You will probably need to visit personally and be prepared to be there all day and even then they may not be able to see you. I have posted previously
and there is a bit of info on what to do there,but it all boils down to being in the hands of the consulate.
Personally, I am spending a good part of the winter in Portugal and making my application there.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 9:27 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
hello,
Yes you can apply at manchester,but be prepared for a very long and frustrating time. You will probably need to visit personally and be prepared to be there all day and even then they may not be able to see you. I have posted previously
and there is a bit of info on what to do there,but it all boils down to being in the hands of the consulate.
Personally, I am spending a good part of the winter in Portugal and making my application there.
Probably a good idea - applying for anything at a consulate (TBF I only know the London one...) is an exercise in obfuscation if not downright unhelpfulness. I really think thay have a lotto going for the most frustrated clients each day..... Think of the worst bureaucracy you have experienced, times 10 - and that after waiting half a day to actually see someone.

My wife downright refused to approach them - getting her ID renewed etc., is a breeze in Portugal and for anyone who doesn't have oodles of spare time and live on top of a consulate, it's probably cheaper too!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Harjot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone � ����� ����� ����. Plz can u guys share some more information. I have my police certificate etc . Do I need to apply on SEF website first or can I go to consulate straight? is there any other documents to take plz? Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2018, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

nanookotn is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to add to this oldish thread... I put in my application for citizenship through marriage last autumn (Nov 2017). I have now, in September 2018 received the decision which is 'no'. The main reason given that I have not been married to my Portuguese wife for FIVE years or more. The IRN website still, on this date, says three years.
Pee'd off? You bet I am.
The law was apparently amended on 21/6/2017 but no-one in Portugal has thought to update the Central Register website, i.e. the website of the people who make the decisions. So I am sure there are many more like me working with out-of-date information provided by the Portuguese Ministry of Justice

So beware... Portuguese bureaucracy is as alive and as crap as ever.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 3:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nanookotn
I'd like to add to this oldish thread... I put in my application for citizenship through marriage last autumn (Nov 2017). I have now, in September 2018 received the decision which is 'no'. The main reason given that I have not been married to my Portuguese wife for FIVE years or more. The IRN website still, on this date, says three years.
Pee'd off? You bet I am.
The law was apparently amended on 21/6/2017 but no-one in Portugal has thought to update the Central Register website, i.e. the website of the people who make the decisions. So I am sure there are many more like me working with out-of-date information provided by the Portuguese Ministry of Justice

So beware... Portuguese bureaucracy is as alive and as crap as ever.
How irritating. Here's a good summary of the various changes.

https://www.plmj.com/xms/files/newsl...tuguesa_EN.pdf
Old Sep 14th 2018, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

nanookotn is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for that info... I wish I'd come across it last year. Perhaps I shall send the link to the IRN website team.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.