Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese Driving Licences

Portuguese Driving Licences

Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of
Default Portuguese Driving Licences

I don't know how many of you took notice of an article in the newspapers this week, but it would seem that as of 1st January 2008 those of you who hold a Portuguese driving licence and will reach the grand age of 50 that year must apply (6 months before you reach 50) to renew your licence. It does not matter if your licence expires at a later date. This renewal has to be accompanied by a doctors certificate when you apply. You also have to renew the licence again at the ages of 60, 65 and 70 - applying 6 months in advance of reaching that age. After 70 years of age you have to renew every 2 years.
So if you hold a Portugues licence and are 50, 60, 65 or 70 in January 2008 then be prepared to be fined, as you are too late in applying, you should have done it 6 months ago!!! The fact that this information as only just come out is unfortunate, but quite normal for Portugal. How they love their fines.
If you think this is bad then if you are a lorry or goods vehicle driver you have to carry out these renewals at the age of 40 and every 5 years afterwards to the age of 65 then every 2 years!!
Joao
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:04 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Portuguese Driving Licences

Thanks for the info!!!
Ive still got my Uk one,GNR always accept it,but I know I should have that paper to go with it,from the Port dvla equivalent just havent got round to it yet.
This info puts me off changing it for a Port one
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:04 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

As if this will stop them from being the insane maniacs that they are
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Redlippie
As if this will stop them from being the insane maniacs that they are
no chance
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

The EU law states that you do not have to change your National Driving Licence. There was a big debate on this a couple of years ago. Go to one of the EU web sites on Google and check it out. If you give a bit of time I can find out the link, in the meantime I carry this info in my car just incase I get stopped.
Joao
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Portuguese Driving Licences

I got a friend of mine who is a member of AFPOP to email me a registration letter they have on their site, you fill in all the details, send 2 photocopies of the form, your driving licence ( front and back, ) Passport and Residencia to the Portuguese DVLA in Faro, they keep one copy and send the other back to you with their official stamp on it.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
I got a friend of mine who is a member of AFPOP to email me a registration letter they have on their site, you fill in all the details, send 2 photocopies of the form, your driving licence ( front and back, ) Passport and Residencia to the Portuguese DVLA in Faro, they keep one copy and send the other back to you with their official stamp on it.
Thanks chopper,
thats what I keep meaning to do,Ive got the form
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

And where are you registered in England? Not you personally, but it's my understanding that it's illegal in England not to have the correct address on it, anyone know any thing about that?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:59 am

As Joao says there has been huge debate about this.
Mine still has my old Uk address,which,yes is illegal should I use it over there.
It is technically illegal over here too,but due to the EU laws,thats why they have introduced this form to keep with the licence over here.I do not want to change mine for a Port one,because I dont want to give up the Uk one.
If you look on other forums,there are pages and pages of debate,also here on the Spain forum.
I have never had a problem when Ive been stopped here,but a friend of mine was recently fined for having a Uk address,think its the luck of the draw,I MUST get this form sorted out
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all

Yes, the DVLA will only renew your licence if you have a UK address on it, recently made an enquiry to them on behalf of a relative who was coming up to 70, explained to them that he stays in Portugal but when he comes to the UK he stays with his brother and that is his contact address in the UK, they did not say no, Applied for the renewal and got it within 10 days.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

When this debate about changing a licence from UK to Portuguese came about a couple of years ago there was no form available to fill in so I just wrote to DGV in Faro, sent them a copy of my UK licence (by registered post) and have heard northing more from them. I have not had a problem with the Police.
Joao
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

So if I go back to an english licence I don't have to renew it every few years, is that right? I'm considering swapping my Portuguese one as I'll be 60 in a few months. I have an address in UK but live here, but there seem to be advantages in going back to an English one. Would I have to take another test at 70 in UK?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

NO, you do not have to resit any tests, over 70 you have to reapply for your licence every 3 years.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unhappy Re: Portuguese Driving Licences

Thanks, I'll have to think about the ins and outs of this and I HATE thinking about these sorts of things.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

I think you have to provide DVLA with report from your GP to say you are fit to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.