Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese Car Insurance

Portuguese Car Insurance

Old May 10th 2017, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese Car Insurance

Originally Posted by mfesharne
This has no relevance whatsoever but you won't be pleased to hear my 5.9 litre V8 classic car costs me just €36 per year to insure.

And is also exempt from road tax. (snigger)

Gotta love Portugal!
You 'orrible man, Steve! Dave - with the Jaguar XKR, now written off, we think AAAAAAAAAaaaarrrrrggghhhh. Going to get another, but this will delay our relocation to PT. Front crumple zones work really well!
Old May 10th 2017, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
You 'orrible man, Steve! Dave - with the Jaguar XKR, now written off, we think AAAAAAAAAaaaarrrrrggghhhh. Going to get another, but this will delay our relocation to PT. Front crumple zones work really well!
Eish.. so sorry to hear the bad news! - You guys must be heartbroken.
Old May 10th 2017, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

It didn't make my day, yesterday! I drove into another car which was slow getting away at a roundabout....the Jaguar driver's fault. Front destroyed up to the engine compartment, with the bonnet having a big fold in it. The crumple zones worked really well, which accounts for the extensive damage. Since this thread is about insurance, am I right to believe that, since it is the car that is covered in Portugal rather than the driver, it should make no difference to premiums once in the country?
Old May 10th 2017, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not 100% sure on that but would think your assumption is correct....... and even more so if it's insured as a classic car.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Cracked-Concrete is an unknown quantity at this point

May I pick up on this thread? I'm puzzled by classic car insurance. I see cars for sale where the seller claims they only pay circa 50 odd Euros. One was for a Renault same year as mine, but I was quoted 140 & told I need "club approval" otherwise it's just an old car. I'm assuming I must be going to the wrong agent? Enlightenment sought
Old Aug 26th 2017, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cracked-Concrete
May I pick up on this thread? I'm puzzled by classic car insurance. I see cars for sale where the seller claims they only pay circa 50 odd Euros. One was for a Renault same year as mine, but I was quoted 140 & told I need "club approval" otherwise it's just an old car. I'm assuming I must be going to the wrong agent? Enlightenment sought
not sure if you mean tax or insurance so I'll address both issues & the classic car issue so apologies for making it complicated.

The ACP is the Portuguese version of the AA & the ACP Classicos is the classic car & motorcycle branch of the ACP.

For a car or motorcycle to be a classic, it has to be at least 25 years old & usually pretty much standard & insurance cover for classic cars can often be had from ordinary insurance brokers.

However, if you can get it registered as a car of historical interest to Portugal it then becomes exempt from road tax (mine would otherwise be €776 per year) & also insurance becomes extremely cheap....... I pay about €36 per year for a 5.9 litre engined car.......... That cover however, is extremely limited mileage (in theory at least.)

I personally don't do anything like my mileage limit because I only drive it a few times a year & usually not very far but in the 6 years I've had the exemption, I've never had the mileage checked & I'm sure some people could find ways over that if they felt the need..... but I don't do it & I don't condone it.

To get your car classified as a car of historical interest to Portugal, you need to join ACP AND ACP classicos & submit the car for inspection after which (assuming it passes) you get an FIVA passport for the vehicle (Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens (FIVA) – Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens (FIVA)) and you then get an exemption letter from the ACP classicos every year that you then submit to your local fiscal office instead of paying the tax.

In fairness I should say the cost of ACP/ACP classicos is an additional expense but you get full breakdown service including at home & recovery & I'd probably be a member anyway.

One thing I do wonder about is the ACP Classicos ask me to enter the round Portugal rally every year (which I decline to do because of fuel costs) but that wold take me well & truly over the mileage limit so I have no idea quite how that would work........ I'd love to do the rally but the costs would be horrendous!

'Praps I should ask Jeep to sponsor me! lol
Old Aug 27th 2017, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Cracked-Concrete is an unknown quantity at this point

Thxs for the extensive 'package' mfe!
I doubt an 80s Renault will be of historical interest !! - but it's good to be reminded of how tough, and easy to work on they are after modern offerings.
A gent I met earlier this year told me that further north there were agents who would insure it for circa fifty euros without all the fuss that is made down here. He was paying that for his well used W124 Mercedes. Guess who lost the paper he gave me with the details on it
I hope your insurance is fully comp. & agreed value on such a valuable beast!?
Thxs again.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Sadly, fully comp cover on cars older than 5 years or so is VERY hard to get & mine is no different but I drive her carefully & only on high days & holidays.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that we're back on topic can I suggest that you try Medal who are brokers in Portimao. If you're an AFPOP member (and if not, why not) then they have a very good deal to offer. They can also quote you if not a member.

I speak as someone who is an AFPOP member and - full disclosure - married to an AFPOP Area Event Organiser - but I am a client of 10 years during which time I have also had one "prang-ette" and a total write-off and their claims service was excellent. Both cars over 10 years old and fully comp. cover.

Give 'em a call or email.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat008; Sep 1st 2017 at 7:55 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GRC
Now that we're back on topic can I suggest that you try Medal who are brokers in Portimao. If you're an AFPOP member (and if not, why not) then they have a very good deal to offer. They can also quote you if not a member.
:
Afpop recommends you do an insurance with one of their directors, how much is this servcie per year?
Old Sep 4th 2017, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I have my health, car, and tractor insured with them; I really don't give a toss about the theoretical conflict of interest, because the service and costs are both good.

I'm going to insure my house with them too.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I have my health, car, and tractor insured with them; I really don't give a toss about the theoretical conflict of interest, because the service and costs are both good.

I'm going to insure my house with them too.
I'm happy that you're happy!
Old Sep 5th 2017, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Portuguese Car Insurance

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Afpop recommends you do an insurance with one of their directors, how much is this servcie per year?
Tsk! Tsk! Not sure what you were trying to achieve with that comment.

I think you'll find that Medal was an AFPOP Alliance Partner long before Henrique took up an "official" position and I don't see a particular problem.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that AFPOP members get a higher-than-normal level of service as a result of the "relationship".

Instead of sniping, just let the OP get a quote and compare with anyone else.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GRC
Tsk! Tsk! Not sure what you were trying to achieve with that comment.

I think you'll find that Medal was an AFPOP Alliance Partner long before Henrique took up an "official" position and I don't see a particular problem.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that AFPOP members get a higher-than-normal level of service as a result of the "relationship".

Instead of sniping, just let the OP get a quote and compare with anyone else.
Fair enough, I was being a bit of a tit and if people want to pay for that, good luck to them!
Old Apr 29th 2018, 9:53 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
This has no relevance whatsoever but you won't be pleased to hear my 5.9 litre V8 classic car costs me just €36 per year to insure.

And is also exempt from road tax. (snigger)

Gotta love Portugal!
Can ANY car be a classic ? I e does it depend just on age ? If so, what is that age ?

I have a ( v. reliable ) Hilux Surf in uk now 22 yrs old - will I be able to import it as a Classic and if so when ? Anything else one needs to know ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.