Reload this Page >

Apartment Purchase

Apartment Purchase

Old May 9th 2018, 7:12 am
Just Joined

spiggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apartment Purchase

Hi All
Long time lurker but now a question arises and I would be grateful for some assistance.
We purchased our small apartment a few years ago after visiting the land registry equivalent with our lawyer.
Now the thought has just occurred to me as to whether I should be holding papers of some sort?
A bit naive but better late then never.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Spiggle
Old May 9th 2018, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Apartment Purchase

Hi Spiggle,

This is a question which I have also asked myself on occasions. I suspect you actually visited a Notary Public with your Lawyer, rather than the land registry. The NP oversees the sale and, following the signing of the sale agreement by all relevant parties, countersigns documents to make the sale legal. The original is kept with the Notary, and copies are given to the other parties.

Presumably, the Notary then files the transaction with the land registry body, but no other document seems to be forthcoming. We bought our place 4 years ago, and I am yet to receive anything else.
Old May 10th 2018, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spiggle
Hi All
Long time lurker but now a question arises and I would be grateful for some assistance.
We purchased our small apartment a few years ago after visiting the land registry equivalent with our lawyer.
Now the thought has just occurred to me as to whether I should be holding papers of some sort?
A bit naive but better late then never.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Spiggle

The lawyer holds the original .You should have received a copy from him/her...Land Registry has nothing to do with sales. You would have indeed visited a notary
Old May 10th 2018, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi Both
Thank you for your replies. Yes I think now on recollection it was the Notary Public.
Am reassured that the apartment won't be sold without my knowledge.

Spiggle
Old May 10th 2018, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I have reams of papers regarding our property; pre contract, sale contract, land registry paper [cardaneta], habitation license, copy of the actual check that paid the sale price.

You have NO paper????
Get some, get lots. Paper is good.
Old May 11th 2018, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I have reams of papers regarding our property; pre contract, sale contract, land registry paper [cardaneta], habitation license, copy of the actual check that paid the sale price.

You have NO paper????
Get some, get lots. Paper is good.
Hi Liveaboard
Very good advice.
The lawyer has sent me a copy of "Escritura Compra" which must be the sale document - need to run it through google translate.
So I imagine if in the future if I want to sell the apartment the Notary Public will refer to the original which they hold .

Spiggle