Reload this Page >

portugal or spain cant decide.

portugal or spain cant decide.

Old May 19th 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

davyrowy is on a distinguished road
Default portugal or spain cant decide.

hi folks
just looking for some advice realy ,interested to know why you picked portugal over spain.
we have been looking to purchase a property in spain (costa blanca nrth) for some time,but after finding out about , land grab laws,black money purchasing,and high crime.
we are considering portugal now.does portugal have the same problems when
buying a property please help.
thanks.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:30 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: portugal or spain cant decide.

We recently bought in Tavira, PT, after much consideration. We have friends and family in Spain (Alicante area) and have visited them and other parts of Spain on and off for the last twenty odd years. What has put us off Spain is that, basically, it is not-so-little England in the sun. If you want to be surrounded by English bars, restaurants and shops then it's the place for you.

Some areas of Portugal are well inhabited by Brit expat communities but most seem to have made some effort to integrate themselves into the Portuguese way of life rather than making it adapt to them.

Also, we feel the people themselves are friendlier and more helpful in Portugal than Spain.

I think you either get your property cheaper in Portugal or get more for the same money. But that could change. And we think that the build quality is better in Portugal

Hope that helps a bit
Old May 20th 2007, 12:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: portugal or spain cant decide.

Originally Posted by davyrowy
hi folks
just looking for some advice realy ,interested to know why you picked portugal over spain.
we have been looking to purchase a property in spain (costa blanca nrth) for some time,but after finding out about , land grab laws,black money purchasing,and high crime.
we are considering portugal now.does portugal have the same problems when
buying a property please help.
thanks.
I never considered Portugal, but what I can do is comment on the reasons you state for not purchasing in CB North.

A Crime rates: I've been here in Oliva since last October. I'm not saying there is no crime, but I haven't seen any. I note with amusement how three or four Police can come out to a minor traffic accident, as if its the highlight of their day. There will always be crime wherever you go.

B Land Grab:
Yes there have been instances of LG in the past. and some horrendous stories. However if you are careful where you buy then you should not be effected. I wouldn't buy a villa on its own with land on the coastal strip. However in the towns villages & the urbs you are relatively safe. There are further representations at the moment with the EU as there are threats of funding being withdrawn.

C Black money: Part of the historical culture here and is being slowly clamped down on although a poster in the property industry stated that ots legal to have 20% black on a property purchase.
At the end of the day if you don't want to do it then don't do it. If the seller wants to sell then they will either have to accept or not. Its a buyers market in Spain at the moment.

Old May 20th 2007, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

thanks very much to both of you for your great advice,very useful indeed thanks alot.
Old May 20th 2007, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

COKOLISO is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Portugal is the place to go. I have been several times in both countries, I also lived in Spain for four months, and I will say that Portugal is so welcoming, so quiet. The towns are less touristy and more accomodating to everyday people. ALso, I think it is a country more geared to family with children. Spain, including the islands are over populated, lots of bars, many unnecessary distractions... Viva Portugal

Last edited by COKOLISO; May 20th 2007 at 2:56 pm.
Old May 20th 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

i think portugal is definitely worth a look now,ive always been a bit disappointed with spain in the past,im going to take a look at both places again this summer and decide then.will keep you posted whatever we decide .
feedback much appreciated thanks .
Old May 20th 2007, 3:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COKOLISO
I think Portugal is the place to go. I have been several times in both countries, I also lived in Spain for four months, and I will say that Portugal is so welcoming, so quiet. The towns are less touristy and more accomodating to everyday people. ALso, I think it is a country more geared to family with children. Spain, including the islands are over populated, lots of bars, many unnecessary distractions... Viva Portugal
Yeah, but you didn`t know how warm the sea was in Portugal ;-)
Old May 20th 2007, 4:38 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

There is also black money in Portugal, I have friends that have lost properties because they would not pay it....
Old May 20th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Hi there

We have always liked northern Costa Blanca and about ten years ago nearly bought an apartment there but the black money issue which we had never heard of before put us off - and then the people would not budge on that. We ended up buying a holiday home in the UK which we have recently sold to buy a place abroad. In the past ten years we have holidayed regularly on the Algarve and we love it - we even bought a timeshare in Vilamoura. When we started looking for a place to buy we thought the Tavira area the best but in fact we have ended up buying in Spain just across the border at Ayamonte - on the new Costa Esuri area. There is a strand on the Spanish site just for this new build. This area is a mass of cranes at the moment but it has lots of character - masses of potential and the best of both Spain (Seville in just over an hour) and you can get to most of the Algarve's best bits in an hour - Atlantic in less than two). It might be worth a visit. There could however be different tax rules about Portugal that I do not know about, but we are not unhappy about the Spanish choice after all - and are beginning to get to grips with the language - not sure about Portuguese!

Carol
Old May 20th 2007, 5:44 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Go check out the Western Algarve - Atlantic coast - Largos and north. Sure you will like what you find. Visit Vale Da Telha - it has 2 fantastic beaches good value Villa's a mix of locals and Brits.
Good Luck
Old May 20th 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Marbella guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by COKOLISO
Problem with Portugal is its full of wierdos and peadophiles.

Just check some of the posts on the Missing girl
Old May 20th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

what a stupid comment to make( marbella guy).i dont think you can generalize on a country ,there are weirdos everywhere.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Marbella guy
Problem with Portugal is its full of wierdos and peadophiles.

Just check some of the posts on the Missing girl
I agree. All those foreigners who come to our shores with their criminal ways.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davyrowy
there are weirdos everywhere.

and more than our fair share on here
Old May 20th 2007, 9:50 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Well said every one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.