Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugal & Ilegal Drugs

Portugal & Ilegal Drugs

Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:37 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portugal & Ilegal Drugs

Originally Posted by EMR
It's an addiction to bigotry.
Better get some treatment.
I think bigotry is probably up there as a major killer, along with Drugs, Alcohol and Tobacco......
Old Mar 25th 2018, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Ozpretender is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I correct in saying all drugs are legal for personal use in Portugal?
I remember hearing something about how the situation with drug addicts (heroin?) has improved vastly due to the approach the government has taken to decriminalise drugs and give more support to users instead of incarcerating users.

Are these problems central to big cities, certain areas of big cities or can it be felt across the country? I know in the usa it’s often much more of a problem in the smaller cities due to the lack of opportunities for jobs etc.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

No, not legal; but decriminalized.
A drug user is considered a victim, sick, nuts, and is sent for rehabilitation. In theory at least.

The police love to arrest people, and will bust you for a pot plant. But you won't have a record, as it's not a crime [unless they think you intend to sell some of it].

As everywhere, there's a lot of visible drug users in the cities, less in the countryside.
My observation is that where / when people can pay for it, there are users.
Out here in farming country, any drug users keep a low profile.

The only place I've seen people smoking dope in public was the Barao monthly flea market, which is probably why the GNR came in force armed with automatic weapons, surrounded the whole event, searched everyone, confiscated and fined people for everything from parking to selling home made cakes. I don't think there were any arrests for drugs though.

That was the end of that, for a while at least.