Please help!

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

AndyJohnson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help!

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Yes 1000 for the both of us,blimey I think I was paying about 100 quid a month just for me before i left Uk.
He has hardly any probs with his knee now,if he does its excessive golf that causes it
We have had crap weather for the last couple of weeks (but thats by my standards!) its been pretty cloudy and wet,but at least its warmed up a bit especially at night.
It was partly sunny today,hot when it came out
Yesterday was beautiful,probably 75 degrees!
I would NEVER come back to the Uk out of choice!,I have only been back 3 times and that was for 2 funerals and a wedding (wheres hugh grant?) which I could not get out of.
At first I missed my friends very very much,but they all come out to see us,and I have got over that now,and have made new friends,both english and portuguese.
I would add that the Portuguese people are lovely lovely people,so warm and welcoming and hospitable.
You have probably read on previous posts,the one thing that sticks in my mind is when you are in a bar (which I often am hic) EVERYONE going in or out says hello and goodbye and everything ok? even when they dont know you,when was the last time that happened to you in Uk ?
Sounds like a wonderful life! Good for you. We have to make the most of our life and if that means going where you think it will improve your life and make it better/happier it has to be done.

Yes, the 4 times we have been out there, the bars are always friendly with cheap cold beer in abundance! Sagres is to die for and no hangovers, LOL.

I guess it's all about adjusting and in time providing you make the effort you will find new friends etc.

One small irritant is mosquitoes?! Any tips to reduce getting bitten etc? My poor better half gets bitten very badly!

Thanks again.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyJohnson
Sounds like a wonderful life! Good for you. We have to make the most of our life and if that means going where you think it will improve your life and make it better/happier it has to be done.

Yes, the 4 times we have been out there, the bars are always friendly with cheap cold beer in abundance! Sagres is to die for and no hangovers, LOL.

I guess it's all about adjusting and in time providing you make the effort you will find new friends etc.

One small irritant is mosquitoes?! Any tips to reduce getting bitten etc? My poor better half gets bitten very badly!

Thanks again.
Mossies, read here
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:04 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again.
You will be ok,we eat so much garlic it puts them off
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Mossies, read here
Thanks a lot. Marmite and Citronella it is then thrown in with plenty of garlic!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:26 pm

Thanks a lot. Marmite and Citronella it is then thrown in with plenty of garlic!
Sounds like one of TTs recipes
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Sounds like one of TTs recipes
TT? forum member?

Must say the chicken piri piri is to die for and worth emigrating just for it. Even found a couple of Indian curryhouses last time we were there. Although the one in Villamoura wasn't the best, unless you like cockroach curry!!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:02 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Cockroach curry!!

I lived in Germany for a few years and my best mate was living in Belgium. We both love curries so the nearest curry house we could find was in Luxembourg believe it or not!). So we both drove from our respective houses and meet up literally in another country just for a curry

Sadly though, it was cack!

Anyway, Mrs F is taking me to the Prince of India tonight which is the dogs you know whats!! Chicken Chili Tikka Masala with loads of Kingfisher A decent curry was all I ever missed whenever I lived overseas.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Cockroach curry!!

I lived in Germany for a few years and my best mate was living in Belgium. We both love curries so the nearest curry house we could find was in Luxembourg believe it or not!). So we both drove from our respective houses and meet up literally in another country just for a curry

Sadly though, it was cack!

Anyway, Mrs F is taking me to the Prince of India tonight which is the dogs you know whats!! Chicken Chili Tikka Masala with loads of Kingfisher A decent curry was all I ever missed whenever I lived overseas.
LOL. Great story, distance is no object when curry is concerned! My nickname on another forum is 'curryman'.

Enjoy. Plenty of poppadoms, or pompadoms as a friend calls them. Us Brits certainly have a weakness for our ruby murrays.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:09 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Damn right mate Can't live without the stuff. Popps are a must with lots of chutney, cucumber and mint raita and onion salad
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Damn right mate Can't live without the stuff. Popps are a must with lots of chutney, cucumber and mint raita and onion salad
Speaking our language! our local has 6 in the dip dept, mint sauce, mango, lime, chillis, onions, and the green stuff! Worth going there just for that! After several beers, the chillis are to die for, and boy do you suffer next day!

Hhhmmmm, worms are biting, may have to get a take away tonight.

Ever tried Encona West Indian sauce? Tis the dogs doofers. Not seen it in Portugal. YET!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:23 pm
ex-squaddie

Yup! The Econa range is great. Particularly the West Indian sauce. I'll have to pack a bucket load before leaving the UK

Your takeaway awaits................ you know it makes sense It's what you've worked for all week!

BTW, where in PT do you intend to settle - have you made any decisions yet?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

LOL. Great story, distance is no object when curry is concerned! My nickname on another forum is 'curryman'.

Enjoy. Plenty of poppadoms, or pompadoms as a friend calls them. Us Brits certainly have a weakness for our ruby murrays.
Not only Brits - us South African/Zimbabweans are the same!! Can't do without eating it at least once a week. Unfortunately for me, I have to make mine..no decent curry houses in this curry-forsaken land that is Florida

clerigo, I've not tried citronella in my peri-peri chicken, but will do it just for you - pm me your address so I can send it over and you can tell us how it tastes
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Not only Brits - us South African/Zimbabweans are the same!! Can't do without eating it at least once a week. Unfortunately for me, I have to make mine..no decent curry houses in this curry-forsaken land that is Florida

clerigo, I've not tried citronella in my peri-peri chicken, but will do it just for you - pm me your address so I can send it over and you can tell us how it tastes
Ola TT just joshin.........you know I love you really
well I consider myself an expert on local wine whattdya want to know???
Curries......humm I have tried ALL in Algarve (Im not kidding)
I resigned myself to making my own,BUT a revelation!!!!!!!!!!! We have found a curry house in Praia da luz which is fab,havent had a bad one yet!!!!! can really recommend it.Have to say tho that I enjoy making my own Bottie burners at home now,but its nice to get a take away as a treat!
Can we get together on one thread,its doing my head in with two...mind you I have been partaking of Sagres earlier
Cleri xx
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Please help!

We are in the process of selling up and moving out to PT. and I can qoute you from a lawyers fax I have in front of me " The residence is just a registration document, it is no longer like a work or stay permit. Now a days its just more for statistics than anything else " unqoute. I got advice on this forum to contact a financial advisor which I did and he has been a great help and we will set up a meeting with him as soon as we move out to resolve pension and tax issues.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:29 pm
ex-squaddie

Do you mean by that that your property is no proof of residence?

I'm not bothered myself like as ours woukd be a permanent residence for which I'd be happy to pay the appropriate PT taxes for.

Here's a question: I'll be getting a UK taxed pension when I arrive in PT. Will I be required to pay a subsequent PT tax on my already taxed (UK) pension?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.