Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

PAYING IMI ONLINE

PAYING IMI ONLINE

Old Nov 30th 2015, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

swindon6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PAYING IMI ONLINE

Can anyone tell me the system for paying IMI tax online? I have an account, I can access the bills, (three years behind) but I can't get how to pay. Any advice appreciated.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice
Default Re: PAYING IMI ONLINE

You have to get the bill with the reference number then go to your online bank account and pay it there
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Campanula, I get that.

I've done that but it doesn't seem to work. As I say, I'm a bit behind with payments so maybe the documents are out of date?

I'm sure I've done it before but just don't seem to get it to work.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 9:43 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a numbered reference to pay through multibank or online, it normally expires at the close date of the invoice. So if you're behind, the online banking basically won't allow the payment. It's happened to me on a utility bill once or twice, we had to go and pay it direct at their office I think or in one case we got them to issue a new reference for us I think.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:33 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Three years' arrears is a long time and the Finanças may have escalated the matter by now. Have you not had any emails about it? Is anybody collecting or receiving mail in Portugal on your behalf?
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi Eric,

Yes we've had emails reminding us about it. We've been back regularly and not had anything in the mail.

We've been paying in arrears for a year or two now. I just seem to be going round in circles. They don't make it easy like the HMRC.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swindon6
... Yes we've had emails reminding us about it. We've been back regularly and not had anything in the mail. ...
AFAIK, if you get notified of the faturas through ViaCTT by email, there will be no bill sent by post. If you're only getting the last-minute email courtesy payment reminder directly from Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira (AT), you need to find out the payment references at the Portal das Finanças and act promptly.

If you're not resident in Portugal the bill, if posted, should be sent to where you are resident (or your fiscal rep, if you have one), so you shouldn't expect them at your Portuguese address.

It may not be the easiest payment system for someone new to the Portuguese way of doing things but paying using the given Multibanco-style payment reference while it's still valid is easier and probably cheaper than the alternative.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 6:41 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
AFAIK, if you get notified of the faturas through ViaCTT by email, there will be no bill sent by post.
True - but on the other hand, if proceedings were being instituted for recovery of the debt, notification of that might be sent by post rather than email. The absence of a letter or a card to say the postman tried and failed to deliver a recorded delivery item is probably a good thing as far as the OP is concerned but in his shoes I'd get in contact with the Finanças ASAP if I were still having problems paying online.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your input guys. I understood that you can raise a new payment note online which will give you a new reference to pay through online banking. I've done this but no note has yet appeared on my account. Do you know if there is a time lag before it's posted online. The problem calling financas is the language. I want to settle it asap.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not familiar with that process.

Is there anything relevant at https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...action?pai=918 when you follow the links to Dívidas Fiscais or Coimas?
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

[email protected]

I emalled here and requested my bill to be emailed to me
Old Dec 4th 2015, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks Campanula, I'll give that a go.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Dal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the rough

It can't only be me that wants to ask the obvious question.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Mmmm....looks like it might be.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not so sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.