Passport

Old Nov 12th 2017, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Sebnabais is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport

Hello folks I am new on here so please be gentle with me. I am looking to move to Portugal in the next few years and would like to take dual citizenship. My father is Portuguese with Portuguese passport and my mother British. I will be in Portugal again next year is it possible to get a passport? I currently hold a uk passport.
Thanks in Advance
Old Nov 12th 2017, 2:42 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport

Originally Posted by Sebnabais
Hello folks I am new on here so please be gentle with me. I am looking to move to Portugal in the next few years and would like to take dual citizenship. My father is Portuguese with Portuguese passport and my mother British. I will be in Portugal again next year is it possible to get a passport? I currently hold a uk passport.
Thanks in Advance
Maybe not the best forum for your particular question...... but AFAIK you will first need Portuguese citizenship and then you will be able to apply for a passport.

According to Wikipedia (not necessarily the best source.... but a start) you should qualify for citizenship as "Portuguese by origin". One of the qualifications for this is "Persons born abroad with, at least, one Portuguese ascendant in the second degree (grandparent) of the direct line who has not lost this citizenship." See Nationality Law

A better breakdown is Here

You can apply in the UK at the Portuguese Consulate or at certain Ministry of Justice offices in Lisbon - see IRN Offices

However, I'd suggest you do your own research and start setting the ducks in a line now - because anything official usually takes far longer than you expect and you will need to have all the correct documentation to prove your claim.... otherwise it will be a time-consuming and expensive business.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your father is a Portuguese citizen born in Portugal then you should already be a Portuguese citizen. In order for this to be recognised by the Portuguese authorities your birth should have been registered with the Portuguese consulate in London. Check with your parents to see whether this was done. If not you should apply for it now.

Registo
Old Nov 12th 2017, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

This may apply to you as well.
I am a Finnish citizen and my kids were born in South Africa. I registered them at the Finnish embassy and had to get them Finnish passports before the age of 18 or they will loose their Finnish citizenship.
All 3 of them have relocated to the UK.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If your father is a Portuguese citizen born in Portugal then you should already be a Portuguese citizen. In order for this to be recognised by the Portuguese authorities your birth should have been registered with the Portuguese consulate in London. Check with your parents to see whether this was done. If not you should apply for it now.

Registo
You better start the registration process now. It does take a long time - months, if not years. You will need to translate your birth certificate into Portuguese and your Portuguese father may need to go to the consulate with you to register your own birth with the consulate. Does your Portuguese father still holds a valid Portuguese ID card or Portuguese passport?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of Goan [India] people have been applying for Portuguese citizenship, as it allows them access to the EU [and the British have been complaining about it since they mostly go to the UK as soon as they get their Portuguese passports].
All they need is 1 grandparent who was a Portuguese citizen; since that territory was Portuguese until 1961, and everyone there was Portuguese, this is common.

So you don't need your parent[s] to be alive, and you don't have to be under 18. There is a lot of paperwork required of course, and I believe the process begins with registering your birth as Portuguese in Portugal, which is done through the Portuguese embassy in the country of your birth.
Start your inquiries there, and if they're difficult you may wish to hire an immigration expert who specializes in this.
I suspect you can manage by yourself, but as said above, patience will be required.