Olhao

Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

vdtfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Olhao

Am visiting Olhao soon and wonder is there anyting interesting happening?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:05 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Olhao

Originally Posted by vdtfan
Am visiting Olhao soon and wonder is there anyting interesting happening?
oo ek,why would you want to go there?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

violets'n'vanilla will become famous soon enough

Hi vdtfan,

Just saw your post and thought that I'd do a quick surf for you, I came up with this link: http://www.thealgarve.net/location/olhao.htm
It looks very charming and quaint and very characteristic.

What's the house pricing like there, if any?
Maybe for the millionaires only $£$£$£'s

Watched a program on tv the other day, this lady went to go and buy a house in Portugal, they had been visiting Portugal for years and were now going to settle by the sea, she wanted everything exact as per her dreams, the properties that the TV people took her to were out of this world, and within her budget, lucky lady, she had £1.5million to play with.... ah well I don't need an underground cinema, or a glass lift, or a billiard table, or a dance floor, or 5 bedrooms en suite, or the sound of crashing waves right outside my bedroom when I wake up.... oh no, its the simple life for me, running water, electricity, peace and quiet, ahhhhhh where's that straw?

Have a great adventure in Olhao.... please come back and tell... byeee
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:32 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

.... oh no, its the simple life for me, running water, electricity, peace and quiet, ahhhhhh where's that straw?

What about the loo at the bottom of the garden!
Old Jan 13th 2007, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi Nomad

That'll take us back to our youth,
when we had to straddle~ girls who were Girl Guides at camp may know exactly what I'm saying , and if it has to be for a short while then we can probably cope, but yes, you are absolutely right a loo is the all important requirement hahaha

priorities, priorities, I must make a list
Do you have a list of priorities on viewing properties In Portugal?
Old Jan 13th 2007, 9:46 am
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by violets'n'vanilla
Hi Nomad

That'll take us back to our youth,
when we had to straddle~ girls who were Girl Guides at camp may know exactly what I'm saying , and if it has to be for a short while then we can probably cope, but yes, you are absolutely right a loo is the all important requirement hahaha

priorities, priorities, I must make a list
Do you have a list of priorities on viewing properties In Portugal?
To be honest Vi, I would live in a field in Portugal rather than a penthouse here in UK.
Only one priority get out of UK.
Tells you something, doesnt it?
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:34 am
Just Joined

vdtfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi vdtfan,

Just saw your post and thought that I'd do a quick surf for you, I came up with this link: http://www.thealgarve.net/location/olhao.htm
It looks very charming and quaint and very characteristic.

What's the house pricing like there, if any?
Maybe for the millionaires only $£$£$£'s

Watched a program on tv the other day, this lady went to go and buy a house in Portugal, they had been visiting Portugal for years and were now going to settle by the sea, she wanted everything exact as per her dreams, the properties that the TV people took her to were out of this world, and within her budget, lucky lady, she had £1.5million to play with.... ah well I don't need an underground cinema, or a glass lift, or a billiard table, or a dance floor, or 5 bedrooms en suite, or the sound of crashing waves right outside my bedroom when I wake up.... oh no, its the simple life for me, running water, electricity, peace and quiet, ahhhhhh where's that straw?

Have a great adventure in Olhao.... please come back and tell... byeee
Hi Violets'n'vanilla and many thanks for your helpful reply
I will check out your link
Best wishes
Old Jan 13th 2007, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nomad

The tent in a field in Portugal maybe ok
, if not inhabited by sheep or goats, I've been reading about the ticks, um, well, me thinks that I'd cut the grass first ... had a house infested with ticks in Singapore many years ago, not funny the dog had to go

But I do share your feelings about the Uk, we could all write a book I think on what we think, so our feet have the last word...

Until that day when the sun comes up and we've made our move, I shall be dreaming, reading, doing stuff, and praying that our dream becomes that reality, until then my heart is with you ~ cheeri bye for now

btw, Has anyone got real time facts about Portugal and asthma sufferers, the benefits of living in different parts of Portugal better than others, yes, I am asthmatic and it would be good to know. T'would help with where we point our feet. byee
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:02 pm
---------

Hi Nomad

The tent in a field in Portugal maybe ok
, if not inhabited by sheep or goats, I've been reading about the ticks, um, well, me thinks that I'd cut the grass first ... had a house infested with ticks in Singapore many years ago, not funny the dog had to go

But I do share your feelings about the Uk, we could all write a book I think on what we think, so our feet have the last word...

Until that day when the sun comes up and we've made our move, I shall be dreaming, reading, doing stuff, and praying that our dream becomes that reality, until then my heart is with you ~ cheeri bye for now

btw, Has anyone got real time facts about Portugal and asthma sufferers, the benefits of living in different parts of Portugal better than others, yes, I am asthmatic and it would be good to know. T'would help with where we point our feet. byee
Hi Vi
I read a post the other day on the Spain forum and somebody said their asthma was just about gone - if I'm not mistaken.
Hang on, I'll go and look.............................................. .................................................. ..............No cant find it. Maybe it was on another expat site.
I'll let you know!
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, I'm searching properties now, and a bit depressed ~ just thinking of what we might find when we come to look at properties, but where to start???
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:13 pm
---------

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
Hi Vi
I read a post the other day on the Spain forum and somebody said their asthma was just about gone - if I'm not mistaken.
Hang on, I'll go and look.............................................. .................................................. ..............No cant find it. Maybe it was on another expat site.
I'll let you know!
This was the one! http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415841
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

been to olhao a good few times nice little town, not as touristy as some other algarve towns. property is still a little pricey.
have you seen the prices in land, central portugal offers great value for money, getting much more popular now with expats.

Last edited by jdr; Jan 15th 2007 at 6:31 pm. Reason: Please do not post url`s to your site, re rule 8
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both above, I posted on the Spanish link and thought that we could follow on with the same vein here... [adjusted for Portugal only]
Do any of you who have experienced health improvements, do you put it down to:
Less stress?
To the weather being less damp?
A few degrees warmer?
The pace of life?
The change in quality of life?
Change of diet?

It's interesting to find this out this because, geographically where does it matter the most where you live to improve your health?
Portugal, South in the Algarve, the Silver Coast, the Green-Belt of Portugal, or the North of Portugal.
The differences of areas in climatic changes must be apparent, so where is the best for asthma and arthritic sufferers?

I have the idea that any move away from the damp grey climate that we call this green isle 'home', may make a vast improvement anyway, and of course the change in diet makes a big difference to arthritic people if you follow the local tendency to intake much more olive oil and fish, rather than meat and fats.

There is a lot to be said, for the inside of us improving our quality of life, and in our move we want to get it right on our budget. We don't foresee at our age changing and moving again. Yet the problem with renting first will eat into our budget if we move around renting trying to find that specific place. In other words the money used for renting would be needed for the house purchase. I'm probably asking a lot, but the information that you can give is invaluable to us.

The sunshine makes a whole lot of difference to us in the homeland who miss the sun, and the change of 3/4's of the year sun compared to 1/4 to 1/2 the year of sun makes a massive improvement in our health.

Have any of you watched "Waiting for God" on TV? Wonderful acting, two of my favorite actors, but it's not so funny on the downside of the coin, I seriously wonder that if we don't move to a better climate, that we will shorten our lives staying here, and also miss out on all the benefits that you all have gained. Besides the fact of not intaking so much medicine, which, ok, we need to help us get better here, but if our bodies can actually improve with making such a move, surely, that is far better for the body than chemicals.

We'd be most interested in what you say. Thank you for any comments
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:06 am
---------

Thank you both above, I posted on the Spanish link and thought that we could follow on with the same vein here... [adjusted for Portugal only]
Do any of you who have experienced health improvements, do you put it down to:
Less stress?
To the weather being less damp?
A few degrees warmer?
The pace of life?
The change in quality of life?
Change of diet?

It's interesting to find this out this because, geographically where does it matter the most where you live to improve your health?
Portugal, South in the Algarve, the Silver Coast, the Green-Belt of Portugal, or the North of Portugal.
The differences of areas in climatic changes must be apparent, so where is the best for asthma and arthritic sufferers?

I have the idea that any move away from the damp grey climate that we call this green isle 'home', may make a vast improvement anyway, and of course the change in diet makes a big difference to arthritic people if you follow the local tendency to intake much more olive oil and fish, rather than meat and fats.

There is a lot to be said, for the inside of us improving our quality of life, and in our move we want to get it right on our budget. We don't foresee at our age changing and moving again. Yet the problem with renting first will eat into our budget if we move around renting trying to find that specific place. In other words the money used for renting would be needed for the house purchase. I'm probably asking a lot, but the information that you can give is invaluable to us.

The sunshine makes a whole lot of difference to us in the homeland who miss the sun, and the change of 3/4's of the year sun compared to 1/4 to 1/2 the year of sun makes a massive improvement in our health.

Have any of you watched "Waiting for God" on TV? Wonderful acting, two of my favorite actors, but it's not so funny on the downside of the coin, I seriously wonder that if we don't move to a better climate, that we will shorten our lives staying here, and also miss out on all the benefits that you all have gained. Besides the fact of not intaking so much medicine, which, ok, we need to help us get better here, but if our bodies can actually improve with making such a move, surely, that is far better for the body than chemicals.

We'd be most interested in what you say. Thank you for any comments
Good post Vi. You are echoing a lot of my own sentiments. I am very far and away from being an expert on Portugal so I cannot give you any input about your concerns. I have however bought a house in the central area and have researched it quite well. If this area is of interest to you I can let you know the agent, she is about 56yo; and very helpful. She has also lived in the UK and can give comparisons. If anything she is a bit over the top about central PT (maybe), as she describes it as the nearest thing to paradise on earth. Who knows? Only physically living there will tell. I do know that one of her emails to me told of 2 you couples who had gone over to look around for places. Both of them immediately went back to wrap things up in the UK and go back to PT to look for their own place. One couple were going to live in in minibus or something. I believe I was also told that you can rent places from E150 mth and up.
Hope this helps

Regards
Nomad
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Please Nomad,

I would be very interested in any links,
already another link has prooved to be good, so I'm only too happy to indulge in any knowledge that anyone has. OBRIGADO MUITO MUITO.

ttfn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.