Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Not changed to PT licence within 2 years

Not changed to PT licence within 2 years

Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Not changed to PT licence within 2 years

I've been here... a while! I had not bothered doing anything with my UK licence as I thought I could use my licence till it's expiry date, I eventually registered it in the IMTT about 2 years ago. Now I've read today:

Os detentores de um título de condução vitalício obtido noutro Estado-membro da União Europeia que não façam a sua troca no prazo de 2 anos têm de fazer um exame de condução em território nacional;

So basically saying those of us who have lifetime issued licence from another EU member state must change to a Portuguese one within 2 years other wise you'll have to do a Portuguese driving test, anyone else heard of this?

Here is my source, I do hope it's a bad source!
Carta de condução – os novos prazos para 2017 que tem� de saber! É importante! – Partilhado
Old Jul 20th 2017, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Not changed to PT licence within 2 years

Hi we went yesterday to faro to get the necessary paperwork. We were issued with a form M13 this lasts until your uk licence expires in my case 2023, it states this date on the form. Nothing about sitting the test in 2 years. I think they have changed the ruling. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nice

Originally Posted by rollermum83
Hi we went yesterday to faro to get the necessary paperwork. We were issued with a form M13 this lasts until your uk licence expires in my case 2023, it states this date on the form. Nothing about sitting the test in 2 years. I think they have changed the ruling. Hope this helps.

How strange i did mine about 3 weeks ago now in Lisbon the paperwork on it only has 2 yrs on it ! my UK one has still 10years on it so not use good for you though.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:18 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
So basically saying those of us who have lifetime issued licence from another EU member state must change to a Portuguese one within 2 years other wise you'll have to do a Portuguese driving test, anyone else heard of this?
Yes - it was part of a whole load of alterations made effective from Jan 2013, mostly aimed at implementing EU initiatives for better sharing of road space and harmonizing of rules in various areas.

To the best of my knowledge, UK licence-holders shouldn't be affected, as the UK has never issued lifetime licences, although you are supposed to exchange for a PT licence if you cross one of the age barriers at which PT nationals have to renew.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

My understanding is, albeit prepared to be corrected, is.

If you have an old style paper UK licence wihich expires at 70 then you need to change after 2 years residency. If you have a newer plastic 10 yr license then you can keep up to the expiry date but need to register within 3 months of residence and and when it expires need to exchange it for a PT licence, without at test. Met a lot of people who don't really bother with any of this but rules is rules....
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coffeeman
How strange i did mine about 3 weeks ago now in Lisbon the paperwork on it only has 2 yrs on it ! my UK one has still 10years on it so not use good for you though.
Depends on your age and Portuguese renewal ages are different. They're really more onerous. Think it's 55, 60, etc. Someone will elucidate....
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jonny22
My understanding is, albeit prepared to be corrected, is.

If you have an old style paper UK licence wihich expires at 70 then you need to change after 2 years residency. If you have a newer plastic 10 yr license then you can keep up to the expiry date but need to register within 3 months of residence and and when it expires need to exchange it for a PT licence, without at test. Met a lot of people who don't really bother with any of this but rules is rules....
hi I have a new photo card one has 10hrs on it but they only gave me 2 yrs before i had to go back and que up again to get it re registered i did ask at the time and the lady said yes i have the stamp so come back in 2 yrs NEXT !! hey ho !but it looks like you can do that online now but as you say rules are rules ! depends i think on the day and who serves you.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi I have a new photo card one has 10hrs on it but they only gave me 2 yrs before i had to go back and que up again to get it re registered i did ask at the time and the lady said yes i have the stamp so come back in 2 yrs NEXT !! hey ho !but it looks like you can do that online now but as you say rules are rules ! depends i think on the day and who serves you.
I don't know how old you are but looks like you're 2 years older than a cutoff age, maybe 59, 63 or 65? Should have kept your UK licence.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, meant younger. Apologies C Man
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Driving licence recognition and validity - Portugal

Hopefully explains why only 2 years..
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:09 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Typical of Portugal .... depends on who you talk to and on what day. Given the number of people here still driving UK cars well beyond the six months cutoff, I'd say you're safe until you're caught.

Given the atrocious standard of driving in Portugal, rules like this just sit in the "stupid laws" bucket.

I am unlikely ever to apply for Portuguese residency, because I don't trust the arbitrary application of rules, don't see this as my "forever home" and can forsee issues in any future changes. Given the latest "threat" regarding UK expats, that residency in one EU state may not entitle the bearer to residency in another, post-Brexit, my resolve is increased.

..... and I'm Irish, so still to remain an EU citizen! (but with a UK pension, driving license and residency).
Old Jul 21st 2017, 6:32 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Typical of Portugal .... depends on who you talk to and on what day.
I don't think there's been any evidence of contradiction or variable interpretation of rules by PT officials here on this thread and even us non-officials have given a reasonably consistent account.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 10:12 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I don't think there's been any evidence of contradiction or variable interpretation of rules by PT officials here on this thread and even us non-officials have given a reasonably consistent account.
I'm not going to argue with you Eric, but consistency?
Originally Posted by rollermum83
If I've read the above incorrectly, so be it, and I have no direct experience of the licensing rules as they do not apply to me. However, given the whole reason for this thread and my own experiences of differential application on "the rules", I stand by my post.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Typical of Portugal .... depends on who you talk to and on what day. Given the number of people here still driving UK cars well beyond the six months cutoff, I'd say you're safe until you're caught.

Given the atrocious standard of driving in Portugal, rules like this just sit in the "stupid laws" bucket.

I am unlikely ever to apply for Portuguese residency, because I don't trust the arbitrary application of rules, don't see this as my "forever home" and can forsee issues in any future changes. Given the latest "threat" regarding UK expats, that residency in one EU state may not entitle the bearer to residency in another, post-Brexit, my resolve is increased.

..... and I'm Irish, so still to remain an EU citizen! (but with a UK pension, driving license and residency).
I'm with you on this macliam. I'm retired and not in a hurry to do anything, especially complying with silly rules. I come across so much nonsense here in Portugal but I still love residing here. Keep a low profile and drive defensively: every other driver is on a different planet.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 11:26 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I'm with you on this macliam. I'm retired and not in a hurry to do anything, especially complying with silly rules. I come across so much nonsense here in Portugal but I still love residing here. Keep a low profile and drive defensively: every other driver is on a different planet.
We have to accept that there is a different relationship between law and reality in Portugal - I'm neither criticising nor defending it, just stating my experience.

I too love Portugal and the Portuguese - I've been married to one for 29 years and first came here before our wedding, which is when I fell in love with the Alentejo. But, as my witness for my Portuguese wedding was proud to say "Portugal is the land of pirates! We don't tell everyone everything and we make sure our godfather has us covered."........ So, when I criticise something, it's not because I think it's wrong - just that it doesn't fit into the mental model I've built up in Ireland and the UK for all these years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.