Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Non EU residency rule change

Non EU residency rule change

Old Sep 4th 2017, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non EU residency rule change

I'm not suggesting the golden visa will be scrapped just that there will be another route for those that can't afford the GV but do have the right skills to make a go of it here & I think that's a good thing.

As regards SEF, my point is the applicant will no longer have to go back to his/her country of origin and apply to the Embassy/High Commission there where rules might be interpreted differently or more strictly (I know of at least 4 cases where people have been unreasonably refused) but rather can apply from here.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
You're dead right on that.

Still, the good news is no-one shoots at you or tries to hijack you & there's no need to carry a sidearm here.

I'm all for more Saffers under persecution being allowed in.
I also am all for more Saffers under persecution being allowed in. More so than Arabs and Blacks!
Old Sep 4th 2017, 8:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Please read Rule 2 before continuing with this discussion as many of you are pushing the boundaries regarding racism.

Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2017, 10:12 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nogard
I also am all for more Saffers under persecution being allowed in. More so than Arabs and Blacks!
Not sure those you have in mind would be happy to live in a liberal multi cultural, multi ethnic country where colour and race do not define your status.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

The racism in this thread saddens me.
The Portuguese are a welcoming people, they have accepted you as immigrants to their country and are happy to accept many more - yet you are here discussing who you think is fit or not to move here.
And the colour of their skin comes into this, it's pathetic.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
The racism in this thread saddens me.
The Portuguese are a welcoming people, they have accepted you as immigrants to their country and are happy to accept many more - yet you are here discussing who you think is fit or not to move here.
And the colour of their skin comes into this, it's pathetic.
I think more accurately we're discussing those that at the moment are not allowed to live here & how this rule change might make it easier for them.

My point is that white Africans are being persecuted throughout the continent & you'll find proof of this by Googling phrases such as 'white farmer murdered in South Africa' & you can replace the name of the country with pretty much any other African country & find similar results but those same people find it close to impossible to get even a work visa, let alone a residency permit in the UK, EU, US or Australia etc.

Surely the conversation is about how these recent rule changes might make it easier for them & for others (of any colour) who are already in the country, can support themselves & want to stay.

Last edited by mfesharne; Sep 5th 2017 at 5:35 am.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:07 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I think more accurately we're discussing those that at the moment are not allowed to live here & how this rule change might make it easier for them.

My point is that white Africans are being persecuted throughout the continent & you'll find proof of this by Googling phrases such as 'white farmer murdered in South Africa' & you can replace the name of the country with pretty much any other African country & find similar results but those same people find it close to impossible to get even a work visa, let alone a residency permit in the UK, EU, US or Australia etc.

Surely the conversation is about how these recent rule changes might make it easier for them & for others (of any colour) who are already in the country, can support themselves & want to stay.
As citizens of their home country they will and should be treated in the same way as any other citizen.
Black South Africans are treated in the same way by UK immigration.
It's not their colour or ancestry simply their passport that counts.
The nation where they or their ancestors come from owes them nothing.
Kith and Kin was the argument used by supporters of the Smith regime which was rejected out of hand by the UK..
Old Sep 5th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

I don't dispute that White South Africans have been persecuted. I think that they should be welcomed in Portugal but no more so than black people who are persecuted in their home counties - who may arrive there in "blow up boats"
A refugee is a refugee, whether he is black or white shouldn't make him more or less welcome.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I don't dispute that White South Africans have been persecuted. I think that they should be welcomed in Portugal but no more so than black people who are persecuted in their home counties - who may arrive there in "blow up boats"
A refugee is a refugee, whether he is black or white shouldn't make him more or less welcome.

I agree.... it should be based on genuine need not colour. However this thread isn't about refugees as such....... It's about changes to the rules of applying for residency from within the country rather than the home country of the applicant. (For those applicants who are already here on a visa.)

Personally I think it's a change for the better & it will at least simplify things for many people no matter what their race, colour or creed.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

The link to the website on thread #1 seems to not work anymore. Perhaps it was fake news.

No engines detected this URL
URL http://dnm-sadvog.com/en-us/Communic...aw-New-updates
Host dnm-sadvog.com
Last analysis 2017-09-05 16:39:26 UTC

Last edited by Ukkram; Sep 5th 2017 at 4:40 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ukkram
The link to the website on thread #1 seems to not work anymore. Perhaps it was fake news.
I don't think it was fake as I'd heard about this change before it was posted on here.
But I can't for the life of me remember where I read it now. I follow a few news sites.
If I find a link I'll post it.