NHS for Expats

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS for Expats

Mike

I don't know who's right or wrong on this but in our case, my wife & I are both in our late 50s so not claiming any UK state pension, are both claiming private pensions, are both UK passport holders, both lived in Africa for about 12 years before moving from Africa to Portugal, now both have 5 year resedencias here and FWIW, are registered for UK taxes etc.

The UK tell us we're not entitled to EHIC cards but we are now both registered with the PT NHS and have both received treatment on the PT NHS that we were more or less not billed for.

If you're right, surely we would have been entitled to UK EHICs?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

loonytoon is an unknown quantity at this point

as i said, i wasn't sure so i stand corrected

jeff
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Mike

I don't know who's right or wrong on this but in our case, my wife & I are both in our late 50s so not claiming any UK state pension, are both claiming private pensions, are both UK passport holders, both lived in Africa for about 12 years before moving from Africa to Portugal, now both have 5 year resedencias here and FWIW, are registered for UK taxes etc.

The UK tell us we're not entitled to EHIC cards but we are now both registered with the PT NHS and have both received treatment on the PT NHS that we were more or less not billed for.

If you're right, surely we would have been entitled to UK EHICs?
I would have thought you were, however, perhaps the fact that you were in Africa for the years before you moved to Portugal is what makes it so difficult. I suspect that if you want to holiday in any other country, then Travel Insurance is the best bet. In fact it's the best bet for anyone, as it also covers repatriation should, god forbid, you needed it. The EHIC doesn't, and costs of repatriation for any reason are something like £10000 or at least they were a few years ago when a friend had to be repatriated.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

loonytoon is an unknown quantity at this point

as i may well be moving over to PT full time in the near future and i will be 57 (so well below pension age) this situation may well affect me in the very near future so have just spoken to the overseas healthcare team in Newcastle. this is what they told me. this applies to the EEA and also includes other benefits apart from pensions that are defined as exportable (these are listed on the NHS website)

on achieving pension age and drawing a UK age based pension, healthcare costs are covered by the UK as they are classed as an exportable benefit. before that age, you may get up to 2.5 years UK paid healthcare in PT depending on what NI contributions you have made in the 3 years prior to your applying. presuming this 2.5 years expires before you reach pension age, they expect you to be registered with the PT health system and the UK no longer assumes responsibilty for your healthcare costs including the issue of the EHIC (the UK EHIC is no longer valid after that time). the EHIC should then be issued by the PT authorities. once you hit pension age and start drawing your pension, you can (if you wish) reapply to Newcastle for another S1 which will then transfer the costs of healthcare back to the UK and they will provide a UK based EHIC

the exception to this is if your spouse is receiving a UK age based pension - the partner would be treated as if they were receiving the pension as they are classed as the spouses dependant in these circumstances.

the changes mentioned by Mikelincs were made regarding people of pension age only - for those, the issuing of EHIC is the responsibility of the country paying the pension. prior to the change, the place of residence was where the EHIC came from. as the payment of healthcare costs is a 'benefit' it has nothing to do with citizenship. it is related to age, contributions made and residency.

so, mfesharne would not be able to get a UK EHIC unless he had made UK NI contributions in full for the last 3 years (which i presume he hasn't but if he has then all well and good) and even if he had the benefit would only last for 2.5 years as he is nowhere near pension age. presuming he will receive a UK age based pension then obviously all that changes when he reaches that age if he so wishes.

jeff
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, we recently checked our UK NI status and we need to pay about 2 years more to be fully paid up so we'll do that at some stage just for peace of mind but we tried on several occasions to get EHIC cards and were told each time that we're not entitled to them.

To be honest, I rather get the impression that no-one, in either country, really knows what we're entitled to or indeed, which way is up.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:16 pm
Banned

freeman1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As someone now living back in the UK I do like hearing this, it's time they cracked down on it, as well as all those expats who have kept a UK address solely for the reason of getting benefits they are not otherwise entitled to.
hear,hear.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freeman1
hear,hear.
This is today's news on the subject.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/health-tour...6.html#2rsvNAr
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

roadislandred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daisyman1951
There was a sparky debate on this forum about WFA and the word "entitled" cropped up a few times, I like the dictionary definition "qualified for by right according to law". The law says you have to pay in to the Ponzi scheme called NI.

Difficult area when it comes to having paid for something & then losing access because of where you choose to live, after all is said it remains a fact that NI contributions are not voluntary when you are resident. I don't see why spending the last few years of your life in a warmer climate should negate access to something you have paid for.
I agree. Could anyone tell me where I can go to have a mammogram near the Tavira area? I had to cancel my app in England and have not been given another one.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:26 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roadislandred
I agree. Could anyone tell me where I can go to have a mammogram near the Tavira area? I had to cancel my app in England and have not been given another one.
Try Radis - it's just up the hill from the PT main office.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

You will probably have to book and it will cost you, then you will more than likely need to see a doctor to get him to give you the results
Joao
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Originally Posted by roadislandred
==============================================

Believe me and we have good experience with PT Health (care)?
Search on my recent posts.
If you have serious concerns then head for Faro Airport and get a flight out.
Do not delay.

regards
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Pablobrown is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just got off a shift working with the most arrogant expat I've ever met. She's 55 and has spent over 20 years living in Spain. She now needs medical treatment, but does she pay for medical insurance? Nope, she has a little holiday to the UK and gets treatment for all her ailments. I've got nothing against expats who have retired abroad. If you've spent most of your life paying into the system,then it doesn't matter where you live,you deserve to be treated for free by the NHS. It's the scroungers who have paid next to nothing that get my goat. I probably wouldn't be on this board if she'd been pleasant,but she looked down on everyone even though she was on the bum.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

sandyeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Loonytoon

I am in a similar situation. If we have not paid PT contributions are we entitled to EHIC from Portugal, for the years between UK EHIC ending and UK pension age? This will be around 4 years for us.

Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:14 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

If you are PT resident and not paying PT NI then I think you fall between two stools.
EHIC cover is not intended for those who leave the UK.
I would check with the UK Government web sites.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We are PT residents, not paying Portuguese national insurance [neither of us work or have business here].
We buy private health insurance [Alianz from Medal in Portimao], which has been good so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.