Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

New house, new country, new life?

New house, new country, new life?

Old Nov 21st 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New house, new country, new life?

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Have you spoken to your lawyer about the possibility of using his address for contact / mail purposes? If he's agreeable that'd be as good an idea as any.

I don't see why you can't register using your current accommodation address as your physical address for the purposes of residency registration. The certificate's issued there and then and there's no other correspondence arising directly from that. You'd just need to go back and get the certificate re-issued with the change of address when you move in to your house.
Thanks! Having a EU-nationality, do I need to take with me something else than passport and tax number?
Do I need to show them a statement from a bank?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

As a citizen of an EU country Portugal has no right to ask about your income. Have your folks names and birth dates and 2 photos as well.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ukkram
As a citizen of an EU country Portugal has no right to ask about your income. Have your folks names and birth dates and 2 photos as well.
Two passport photos? Color or not?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Not 100% sure about if you need photos as they make copies of your pp. They would be color and pp size. Take them anyway and if not needed you might find them handy going forward.
Make sure your teeth are not showing as the scanner will see it as a bar code. My daughter had to redo hers.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 5:23 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Not 100% sure about if you need photos as they make copies of your pp. They would be color and pp size. Take them anyway and if not needed you might find them handy going forward.
Make sure your teeth are not showing as the scanner will see it as a bar code. My daughter had to redo hers.
I'm pretty sure EU citizens do not need to supply photos, since they are not on (or reproduced on) the certificate of residency at issue here. They aren't on the list of required documents.

I don't think the Câmara will take copies of the passport as under Pt law, that's no longer allowed.

Originally Posted by Pilou
Thanks! Having a EU-nationality, do I need to take with me something else than passport and tax number?
Do I need to show them a statement from a bank?
The required docs according to the SEF website are a valid passport or id card and a declaration of honour that you have sufficient funds to support yourself or yourselves. And health insurance if that is required of Portuguese nationals by your country of nationality.

What they'll actually ask for is another matter but I'd wait and see what they come up with rather than supply myself with anything that's not listed as required.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Important!
If you buy a house as a resident, you pay a lower transfer tax rate than if you buy as a non-resident; If you're not a resident of Portugal when you buy, it's assumed to be a holiday house, even though your intention may be to live in it.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Red Eric, we have our photos on our 10 years residencia cards
Old Nov 21st 2017, 7:12 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm aware it goes on those but that's not the same thing as the initial residency certificate.

The permanent resident card is also a means of id but the initial certificate is just an official acknowledgement of registration.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Important!
If you buy a house as a resident, you pay a lower transfer tax rate than if you buy as a non-resident; If you're not a resident of Portugal when you buy, it's assumed to be a holiday house, even though your intention may be to live in it.
That is why I want to be resident before buying. The difference in tax is 924 EUR. Not a huge difference, but we are Dutch ......
I assume that it is OK when we are resident at the moment we go to the notary and not necessarily before that moment.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

W also had photos on our first one
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
We found our house. We will contact today or tomorrow a lawyer in Porches (thanks Zoff!).

The thing is that we want to buy the house as a resident. After 3 months you can ask to become resident. Some people had the chance to become resident wihtin 2 or 3 months.

What I don't know yet is, if our stay in Portugal during the months February and March this year will count as well.
I can imagine it will count, because -a contrario - someone can stay as non resident almost 3 months, after 2 weeks again almost 3 months and so on, without the obligation to become resident.
Depends a lot on local Town Hall interpretation of the rules. We applied for and received our Residence certificate a week after we took up residence but the Tavira Town Hall was happy to accept our three months qualifying period started from a visit we had made previously...
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:51 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
W also had photos on our first one
Did you obtain yours from the SEF, prior to the devolving of this function to the Câmaras Municipais in 2007?
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Must have been, in Faro in 2005.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

The host of our holiday home tolds me that I am without any chance to ask residency before the 3 months period is over. He asked his residency 5 weeks ago in Carvoeiro (I thought that for Caramujeiro I need to go to Lagoa??).
Because he is not a pensionado, he needed to proof that he has sufficient income. He also needed 2 witnesses to proof he was actually living here. They were extremely strict. And he has since 15 years an immense villa here as non-resident and even then it is so hard to become resident here

And ..... he does not want that I use his address when I want to register for residency ....
I feel confused.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Condition - health insurance
Declaration, under oath, that they do have enough financial resources to support him and his family members, as well as an health insurance, provided that such is required by the Member-State of the nationality of the Portuguese citizens
I don't know? We are still covered by our national health insurance in Spain. Is that enough? Do we need to have a private insurance in Portugal? I thought this was not necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.