Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

New house, new country, new life?

New house, new country, new life?

Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New house, new country, new life?

Originally Posted by Pilou
The host of our holiday home tolds me that I am without any chance to ask residency before the 3 months period is over. He asked his residency 5 weeks ago in Carvoeiro (I thought that for Caramujeiro I need to go to Lagoa??).
Because he is not a pensionado, he needed to proof that he has sufficient income. He also needed 2 witnesses to proof he was actually living here. They were extremely strict. And he has since 15 years an immense villa here as non-resident and even then it is so hard to become resident here

And ..... he does not want that I use his address when I want to register for residency ....
I feel confused.
Do you have any official documentation from your landlord (lease, receipt etc)? If so that might be sufficient even without his permission? He may be concerned that his own claim to be resident (at the address where you are staying?) would be compromised by your claim to be resident there too! Or it might draw attention to his undeclared income?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Condition - health insurance
Declaration, under oath, that they do have enough financial resources to support him and his family members, as well as an health insurance, provided that such is required by the Member-State of the nationality of the Portuguese citizens
I don't know? We are still covered by our national health insurance in Spain. Is that enough? Do we need to have a private insurance in Portugal? I thought this was not necessary.
Are Portuguese citizens who become resident in The Netherlands (?) required to have health insurance?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Are Portuguese citizens who become resident in The Netherlands (?) required to have health insurance?
I don't know. I left the netherlands 20 years ago and I could not find this info for pensionado's. Normally people come to the netherlands to work there. Who would like to come to Holland as a pensionado??
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you're a state pensioner, doesn't the country paying your pension also reimburse your country of residence for the cost of your healthcare - a de facto insurance policy?

The system that applies for UK citizens (for now, at least!) is described in https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...nPortugal.aspx, particularly in the 'Living in Portugal' section near the end.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Do you have any official documentation from your landlord (lease, receipt etc)? If so that might be sufficient even without his permission? He may be concerned that his own claim to be resident (at the address where you are staying?) would be compromised by your claim to be resident there too! Or it might draw attention to his undeclared income?
We received a letter of confirmation in french for the 10 weeks of rental. We already stayed in this house 6 weeks in february and march this year.
He has a huge villa with a house attached and a small apartment. The villa and the house are for holiday rentals. He lives at the same address as the holidaymakers.

Maybe we will try it and go to the Camara. When it does not work, we know at least what the conditions are.

Last edited by Pilou; Nov 23rd 2017 at 9:56 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you're a state pensioner, doesn't the country paying your pension also reimburse your country of residence for the cost of your healthcare - a de facto insurance policy?

The system that applies for UK citizens (for now, at least!) is described in https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...nPortugal.aspx, particularly in the 'Living in Portugal' section near the end.
Yes, that counts for Dutch with a Dutch pension as well. We don't have the pension age yet, but will have that in a couple of years.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

... but will have that in a couple of years.
Acccording to expatica:

EU citizens who retire early and move to Portugal may qualify for free or subsidised healthcare for up to two years of residence, provided they obtain form S1. Alternatively, early retirees can pay voluntary social security contributions or get private health insurance in Portugal. Once EU citizens reach the legal retirement age, they will be typically covered for free or subsidised healthcare under another insurance (with a S1 form).
It might be worth investigating to see if it might work for you?

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

Last edited by RichardHenshall; Nov 23rd 2017 at 10:43 pm. Reason: Added one link & disabled another!
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

EU citizens who retire early and move to Portugal may qualify for free or subsidised healthcare for up to two years of residence, provided they obtain form S1. Alternatively, early retirees can pay voluntary social security contributions or get private health insurance in Portugal. Once EU citizens reach the legal retirement age, they will be typically covered for free or subsidised healthcare under another insurance (with a S1 form).

I don't this this is the case now. I think they changed it a while back and the form S1 is only for State Pension aged people these days.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I don't this this is the case now. I think they changed it a while back and the form S1 is only for State Pension aged people these days.
Thanks for the correction. I don't usually like quoting secondary sources like that but it seemed to fit a need.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:41 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we will try it and go to the Camara. When it does not work, we know at least what the conditions are.
That's what I'd do. And (you never know), it might work first time
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

I clearly remember that I was worried about my income situation as I had no proof with me other than a BPI bank slip showing €150 odd. They did not ask.

As to medical, I cannot remember if they asked but I had a 6 month travel medical insurance that I extended from the normal 3 months when purchasing a flight ticket.

I do not have a S1 number but with my SNS number I get state healthcare and I will not be renewing my private medical insurance again. The state hospital here is more modern and better equipped than the Hospital Particular.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ukkram
I clearly remember that I was worried about my income situation as I had no proof with me other than a BPI bank slip showing €150 odd. They did not ask.

As to medical, I cannot remember if they asked but I had a 6 month travel medical insurance that I extended from the normal 3 months when purchasing a flight ticket.

I do not have a S1 number but with my SNS number I get state healthcare and I will not be renewing my private medical insurance again. The state hospital here is more modern and better equipped than the Hospital Particular.
For the state health insurance I read several times on this forum that once you are resident you can register with your 'utente' number for state health cover. So why would i need a private health insurance (unless I would prefer that).
The only obligation is that once I receive my Dutch pension, I need to register in the Netherlands for health care and a fee will for that will be withheld on my pension. With the papers from the Netherlands I register in Portugal for the state health care. That procedure is obligatory according to EU-rules.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I think all that story of the NHS paying pensioners health costs is over. It was a bi-lateral treaty from the middle ages and it expired. It never applied to Germans for instance.

Every resident of Portugal now has the right to government health care. You don't need to be pensioned, you don't need to be employed, or have a social security number. This was published in the English press and by AFPOP, and we got our Portuguese health numbers with little difficulty.

And therefore health insurance is no longer a requirement for residency; it's the other way around now, residency is required for health insurance.

All this proving you're here for 3 months seems awfully hard too; consider simply registering in another camara. All we needed was a postal address for the initial 5 year registration of an EU citizen.
The second 5 years may require a bit more preparation; that's done at the SEF office and they want proof of income and such things.

Portuguese who become resident in the Netherlands are required by law to purchase health cover, as is every resident of that country.
It's different for people visiting; then costs have to be paid by the insurance from your country of residence.
I can tell you from experience that in the Netherlands, the emergency department demands cash payment and tells you to get reimbursed when you get home. And it's a flat E250.
I'm still waiting to get reimbursed.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I think all that story of the NHS paying pensioners health costs is over. It was a bi-lateral treaty from the middle ages and it expired. It never applied to Germans for instance.

Every resident of Portugal now has the right to government health care. You don't need to be pensioned, you don't need to be employed, or have a social security number. This was published in the English press and by AFPOP, and we got our Portuguese health numbers with little difficulty.

And therefore health insurance is no longer a requirement for residency; it's the other way around now, residency is required for health insurance.

All this proving you're here for 3 months seems awfully hard too; consider simply registering in another camara. All we needed was a postal address for the initial 5 year registration of an EU citizen.
The second 5 years may require a bit more preparation; that's done at the SEF office and they want proof of income and such things.

Portuguese who become resident in the Netherlands are required by law to purchase health cover, as is every resident of that country.
It's different for people visiting; then costs have to be paid by the insurance from your country of residence.
I can tell you from experience that in the Netherlands, the emergency department demands cash payment and tells you to get reimbursed when you get home. And it's a flat E250.
I'm still waiting to get reimbursed.
Thanks for your explication.
In Holland every person legally living there (includes expats) is obliged to pay for the NHS (that was different 15 years ago, only people with a lower income could join the NHS).
There are private insurances, but they give only extra cover on top of the standard state healthcare. The fee for the standard package is fixed by the government each year.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

When we are resident we need to register with the tax authorities.
No obligation to wait 183 days, I hope. We can register at the tax authorities immediately after receiving the resident card?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.