Reload this Page >

Need car insurance and breakdown cover

Need car insurance and breakdown cover

Old Jul 1st 2015, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

FatBoab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need car insurance and breakdown cover

Hi,
I'm non resident and will be buying a 2nd hand PT car so would like advice on good Portuguese company to provide car insurance and breakdown cover.
Thanks
FB
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need car insurance and breakdown cover

Try Ibex Insurance, who have offices both in Almancil and Tavira. I am also non-Resident and use them both for my PT Car and Home Insurance.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Most but not all vehicle insurances include breakdown cover but if you want separate breakdown cover, you can join the ACP which is the Portuguese version of the AA.

Their website is acp.pt but in typical Portuguese fashion, you can't join online and need to go to one of their shops to sign up and you'll find a list of their shops on the site.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FatBoab
Hi,
I'm non resident and will be buying a 2nd hand PT car so would like advice on good Portuguese company to provide car insurance and breakdown cover.
Thanks
FB
Good=Fidelidade! Best coverage options on the market & work well when you need them!

Not the cheapest of them all but competitive enough prices.

If good means cheapest I can suggest others.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Most but not all vehicle insurances include breakdown cover but if you want separate breakdown cover, you can join the ACP which is the Portuguese version of the AA.

Their website is acp.pt but in typical Portuguese fashion, you can't join online and need to go to one of their shops to sign up and you'll find a list of their shops on the site.
When you go to a Broker or a Insurance Office just ask them to included it !
It's as simple as that.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tootlewagon
Try Ibex Insurance, who have offices both in Almancil and Tavira. I am also non-Resident and use them both for my PT Car and Home Insurance.
IBEX
Car Insurance Benefits
Old Jul 4th 2015, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Somebody asks for a good company to insure their PT car and you suggest a company based in Gibraltar that is underwritten by a company in the UK, is this really good advice?

Do you have some connection with ibex as otherwise I really can't see why you would think think is the best option?!
Old Jul 5th 2015, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Somebody asks for a good company to insure their PT car and you suggest a company based in Gibraltar that is underwritten by a company in the UK, is this really good advice?

Do you have some connection with ibex as otherwise I really can't see why you would think think is the best option?!
Gibraltar like Portugal is part of the EU.

If you do not agree with free trade across Europe then please say so.

The company in UK is LLoyds you may have heard of them.

I have no financial association with IBEX other than that of a customer, a very satisfied customer.
Although Gibraltar being a very small place I do know a few of the staff well enough to exchange pleasantries when passing in the street.

They also have a couple of offices in Portugal

1. AlmancilIbex Office

Avenida Duarte Pacheco Nº 32, 8135-104 Almancil , Loulé, Algarve, Portugal

Phone: 800 860 653 or +351 289 399 774
Email: [email protected]

2. TaviraIbex Office

Rua Primeiro de Maio 26B r/c, 8800-360 Tavira , Algarve, Portugal

Phone: +351 281 325 842

Added:-
Gibraltar motor insurers wrote £2.6bn of premium in 2012, which accounts for roughly 16% of total UK motor premium.

According to Deloitte, the study demonstrates the importance of Gibraltar-based insurers in the UK car market.

Deloitte: Gibraltar motor insurers outperformed UK firms in 2012 | Latest News | Insurance Times

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jul 5th 2015 at 6:04 am.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 7:59 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Gibraltar like Portugal is part of the EU.

If you do not agree with free trade across Europe then please say so.

The company in UK is LLoyds you may have heard of them.

I have no financial association with IBEX other than that of a customer, a very satisfied customer.
Although Gibraltar being a very small place I do know a few of the staff well enough to exchange pleasantries when passing in the street.

They also have a couple of offices in Portugal

1. AlmancilIbex Office

Avenida Duarte Pacheco Nº 32, 8135-104 Almancil , Loulé, Algarve, Portugal

Phone: 800 860 653 or +351 289 399 774

2. TaviraIbex Office

Rua Primeiro de Maio 26B r/c, 8800-360 Tavira , Algarve, Portugal

Phone: +351 281 325 842

Added:-
Gibraltar motor insurers wrote £2.6bn of premium in 2012, which accounts for roughly 16% of total UK motor premium.

According to Deloitte, the study demonstrates the importance of Gibraltar-based insurers in the UK car market.

Deloitte: Gibraltar motor insurers outperformed UK firms in 2012 | Latest News | Insurance Times

I looked in great detail at the Ibex policy, it was the references to Spanish law and a legal representative in Spain that concerned me.
The carry all clause regarding legality of your vehicle putting at risk your insurance can no doubt be found in all policies.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
I looked in great detail at the Ibex policy, it was the references to Spanish law and a legal representative in Spain that concerned me.
The carry all clause regarding legality of your vehicle putting at risk your insurance can no doubt be found in all policies.
Would you like to post a link to these clauses??

Or is this another one of the figments of your imagination that you post regularly across this forum.

IBEX is fully compliant with Portugese law and operates within EU passporting requirements.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 11:17 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Would you like to post a link to these clauses??

Or is this another one of the figments of your imagination that you post regularly across this forum.

IBEX is fully compliant with Portugese law and operates within EU passporting requirements.
As an Ibex promoter I would expect you to be fully conversant with the terms of their policy.
I am not recommending them, you are !.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
As an Ibex promoter I would expect you to be fully conversant with the terms of their policy.
I am not recommending them, you are !.
Up to your usual diversionary tactics again.

Throw some doubt in and refuse to back it up.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 4:48 pm
EMR
Banned

Up to your usual diversionary tactics again.

Throw some doubt in and refuse to back it up.
I have got used to your tactics as well.
Every time someone asks about insurance you pop up from Gib with a recommendation for a Gib based company.
Simply this in the UK I use a UK based company, why would I in Portugal use one based in Gib ??
Note the company in the Algarve is just an agent.
Anyone who is interested can download their policy documents and make up their own mind
Old Jul 5th 2015, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I particularly like the quote below and believe it applies to this thread

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
It's funny, some trolls have one post and some trolls have post counts in the thousands...........
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

... Throw some doubt in and refuse to back it up.
Originally Posted by http://www.ibexinsure.com/car-insurance/faqs

Do I need to produce an MOT Certificate before I can obtain insurance for my UK registered vehicle?

We do not request sight of an MOT (or Portuguese and Spanish equivalents, IPO and ITV) before we insure you but there is a strict policy requirement that your vehicle is roadworthy at all times and you should also comply with the law of the country in which your vehicle is being used. Any breach of this could invalidate your insurance cover and failure to produce a certificate of roadworthiness may render you liable to prosecution and /or a fine by the authorities. You should remember the IPO or ITV certificate will only demonstrate that the vehicle is roadworthy and it does not constitute an MOT certificate as required by UK law, so if you are stopped by the police it could lead to problems.
I suspect that this is the sort of disclaimer to which EMR refers, though it's obviously alluding to (over-staying) foreign registered vehicles (which probably aren't legal, with or without an MoT/IPO/ITV test) rather than a Portuguese registered vehicle, which should be legal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.