Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

My first test of State Health Service.

My first test of State Health Service.

Old Feb 11th 2018, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default My first test of State Health Service.

I thought that before paying another year's private health insurance I should test the State health Service. If great I could dump the private one and save around €1 500.00 per year. Yes, I am a free loader.

So Off I went to our "Family Doctor" assigned to us. Reception asked me what I required and I showed him the 2 boxes of BP tablets. Inderal and Moduretic.
He wrote them down and charged me €2,50 and told me to come back later for the script.

Later came and I was given a script for Inderal only and written in pen was something to do with the Moduretic. No English so off I went to our local pharmacy. Their little English told me that the doctor had written that Moduretic was not available but they do have it in stock but now cannot give it to me as it is not prescribed.

How on earth does this work?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first test of State Health Service.

Go back to the Doctor & tell him/her the Pharmacist has it in stock so you need a prescription for it & FWIW, my CdS has a system where I can email my Doctor for what I need & she emails & SMSs me the prescription so I don't have to go back & collect anything.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Is it that Moduretic is a brand name, which is no longer made by the patent holder, and that you need a prescription for the generic equivalent?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

That's not a very comprehensive test.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

deecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nice

I have a friend here (English) diagnosed with a brain tumor around June last year, was admitted to hospital in Lisbon within 10 days for operation to remove tumor, and has been receiving intensive treatment since. Still having short treatment of chemo each month, but everything looking very positive at the moment. I, and more importantly, she and her family, have been enormously impressed with the care and treatment provided.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard good reports on cancer treatment; but not for orthopedics.
Some people are crippled due to the time it took to get surgery.

It's just variable, it depends on how busy / well funded the particular specialty you need is in the area where you live.

Often they do just great, but you have to wait a few months; what's that worth?

I had a thorn operated out; I know this might sound inconsequential, but it wasn't. I was in constant pain and it took a surgical team 45 minutes to get it out.
A local woman on public health has the same thing, moving through her body. No surgery for her; mere pain isn't urgent enough to merit surgery at the public hospital.

So, is private health insurance worth the money?
It depends on what you think is important.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liveaboard
That's not a very comprehensive test.
I never said it was to be. This was my first visit to a state doctor and I was unsure if they would even accommodate me.
My wife had already spent 7 weeks in a state hospital in Porto and she got the best of care there. Four of the 7 weeks she spent in ICU and we were not charged a penny.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

2 years ago I was admitted to Portimao hospital admittance ward with a bowel blockage. All the beds,4/5 deep, were jammed together and people had to turn sideways to walk between them The ward was mixed and the old lady in the bed next to me was given a bed bath,no screens. The idea of getting a nice place on a trolley in some corridor in a UK hospital became very attractive. I have 3 previous experience of blockages and the major difference in treatment was in UK I was put on 2 drips,saline and morphine, in Portimao only saline despite me being in severe pain.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brodev
2 years ago I was admitted to Portimao hospital admittance ward with a bowel blockage. All the beds,4/5 deep, were jammed together and people had to turn sideways to walk between them The ward was mixed and the old lady in the bed next to me was given a bed bath,no screens. The idea of getting a nice place on a trolley in some corridor in a UK hospital became very attractive. I have 3 previous experience of blockages and the major difference in treatment was in UK I was put on 2 drips,saline and morphine, in Portimao only saline despite me being in severe pain.
I suppose, much like the UK, treatment will end up being something of a postcode lottery.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

We gave up our private medical insurance because our local Hospital Particular has outdated machinery compared to the local state hospital. Plus they are just after money and do unnecessary tests.

My wife lost so much muscle weight and was in a wheelchair so they said it was MS or some neuro nerve problem. The Neurologist looked in her throat one day and expressed surprise at what she saw but dismissed it and insisted to treat her nerve problems.

Three months later I looked in her throat with a torch and saw a tumour. It turned out to be cancer.
Hospital Particular does not treat cancer so the Neurologist played with her life for her own income.