Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

moving to portugal

moving to portugal

Old May 3rd 2007, 7:58 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to portugal

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
ALL Uk banks have to do this,free of charge,the government have given them a directive about it.
They HAVE to transfer it free,obviously they keep it a few days:curse:
If you dont get any joy with the bank,speak to the source of your pension,they should be able to help,I know its true cos we are doing it!!!!!
Thanks for that info. Do you happen to know what exchange rate they use?

Keep taking the pils
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:14 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

We get the commercial rate,which is usually pretty good
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:33 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: moving to portugal

Cleri (if I may be so forward,

thanks again. The exchange companies all say they give the going rate but I notice when it comes down to it they quote a rate a couple of cents below the market rate. Makes a bit of a difference when you transfer a few thousand.
Old May 4th 2007, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

When looking at this situation I ended up opening an account with Banco Espirito Santo, one because I like the name and two because they transfer at the full commercial rate.

I transfer the funds from my building society to BES in London and they transfer the funds for a set fee of £15.

If you compare the exchange rates used by the currency agencies and are transferring enough £ the this saves quite a bit of money.

Now that I have posted this someone from BES will read it and like all banks see a money making opportunity. OB
Old May 18th 2007, 9:32 am
Just Joined

cute333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
We have a Gov pension paid direct into out pt account.
We have a uk building society account which generates monthly interest,that is paid into our Uk nat west account,and we periodically put a uk cheque into our portuguese bank,it takes a while to clear,but we found it the cheapest option,think it costs about 8 euros
Hello i am thinking of moving to tavira with my 2 children of 9 and 14 and have been reading this site to try and find out about education,i did see you gave some advice to another person but can not find it to read again i was hoping you might beable to pass the same advice on to me, I hear tavira has just opened a new school would you know anything about that? Thank you for any help to can give.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:59 am
C'est la vie

Originally Posted by cute333
Hello i am thinking of moving to tavira with my 2 children of 9 and 14 and have been reading this site to try and find out about education,i did see you gave some advice to another person but can not find it to read again i was hoping you might beable to pass the same advice on to me, I hear tavira has just opened a new school would you know anything about that? Thank you for any help to can give.
Try www.east-pt.com
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:47 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cute333
Sorry cutie its not my area,listen to trog he will help