Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

moving to the Algarve

moving to the Algarve

Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

novoparaiso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to the Algarve

Hi, I know this thread is a few months old, but I thought I would add my pennies worth!
We moved to the Algarve a year ago and put our two children into an international school which was very good, however the fees were crippling us, it has been a very tough year workwise, so we came to the decision of sending our youngest daughter (age9) to the state school. She loved it from day 1 and is the only English girl in her class but has got on really well so far. It's early days I guess as she only went after Xmas, but already she is picking up the language compared to the int school where she only had 2 lessons a week. I guess it does depend on the personality of the child, like the other posting, she wasn't fazed by it and can't wait to go each day. If anything we were more scared for her as you can imagine! It does worry me a bit when you hear stories about teachers not turning up for lessons, but we are still very happy with the support she has received from her teacher. She has extra lessons in Portuguese after school twice a week, run by her teacher, who can speak good English, so I know we have been very fortunate. Hope this helps, and good luck with the move if you haven't already!