Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

moving to the Algarve

moving to the Algarve

Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

jennycumbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving to the Algarve

Hello is there anyone out there who can recommend a removal firm from england to the Algarve portugal and the costs involved. Also has anyone heard of Algarve Home Couriers a removal firm. Also has anyone had any bad experiences of moving and what firm were they.

Any info Very much appreciated
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

stevemast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to the Algarve

Originally Posted by jennycumbie
Hello is there anyone out there who can recommend a removal firm from england to the Algarve portugal and the costs involved. Also has anyone heard of Algarve Home Couriers a removal firm. Also has anyone had any bad experiences of moving and what firm were they.

Hi there, I am in the same boat. We're planning to move to the Algarve as soon as possible and we're trying to find a removal firm.

Also, I would appreciate any help anyone can give me with information on various costs of living and things to bear in mind, like tases on vehicles, homes, insurance etc. Just so you know, we are looking at Western Algarve to be near the International school.

My wife is Portuguese but I am English. Do I need some kind of visa?
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Pete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stevemast
Hi there, I am in the same boat. We're planning to move to the Algarve as soon as possible and we're trying to find a removal firm.

Also, I would appreciate any help anyone can give me with information on various costs of living and things to bear in mind, like tases on vehicles, homes, insurance etc. Just so you know, we are looking at Western Algarve to be near the International school.

My wife is Portuguese but I am English. Do I need some kind of visa?

Hi both! We've just got a quote from Pickfords in the UK , which is £1900+vat to pack and ship the contents of our 2 bed house in Southampton to Aveiro , Portugal. Pickfords aren't the cheapest but they're extremely good.Of course this price would come down if you did your own packing.We used them for a UK move 7 years ago and they were excellent. Highly recommended!
Has anyone managed to gather any info on annual car tax? That's one of the gaps in our knowledge.
Cheers all,
Pete
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Pam2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: moving to the Algarve

Originally Posted by jennycumbie

Hi Jennie

read with interest your post as I live in the Algarve and also work for an International removal company. Don't have personal experince of Algarve home couriers, but they don't have an office down here, just seem to work from a mobile phone number. If your are considereing Pickfords, and your residence in the Algarve is difficult access or they need assistance to unload it will be us they call on as we are tranship agents for Pickfords in the Algarve! To get a quote email [email protected], we have an office and two warehouses in the Algarve. drop me a line if you want to chat
Pam
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pete W
Hi both! We've just got a quote from Pickfords in the UK , which is £1900+vat to pack and ship the contents of our 2 bed house in Southampton to Aveiro , Portugal. Pickfords aren't the cheapest but they're extremely good.Of course this price would come down if you did your own packing.We used them for a UK move 7 years ago and they were excellent. Highly recommended!
Has anyone managed to gather any info on annual car tax? That's one of the gaps in our knowledge.
Cheers all,
Pete
car tax in Portugal (on portuguese vehicles) is based on engine size and age of the vehicle. I've got a three year old clio and it's 30 Euros, if you think that's cheap my mate only pays 5 euros (old banger of course!!) It is much cheaper than the UK . Payment of tax can be made in the month of May in a local "Papeleria" Newsagent
Pam
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Pete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant futurePete W has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pam2005
car tax in Portugal (on portuguese vehicles) is based on engine size and age of the vehicle. I've got a three year old clio and it's 30 Euros, if you think that's cheap my mate only pays 5 euros (old banger of course!!) It is much cheaper than the UK . Payment of tax can be made in the month of May in a local "Papeleria" Newsagent
Pam
Hi Pam, thanks for the info on car tax. You mentioned that this applies to Portuguese vehicles-does this also apply to vehicles that have had their registration changed to Portuguese? I'm also trying to find out about car insurance - any suggestions? I'm currently torn between taking our current car- Hyundai Coupe (RHD) or selling it and getting a (smaller) LHD - either buying it here or Portugal. The thing is , I'll propably need transport as soon as I get there,primarily for the purpose of job-hunting. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks and best wishes,
Pete
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pete W
Hi Pam, thanks for the info on car tax. You mentioned that this applies to Portuguese vehicles-does this also apply to vehicles that have had their registration changed to Portuguese? I'm also trying to find out about car insurance - any suggestions? I'm currently torn between taking our current car- Hyundai Coupe (RHD) or selling it and getting a (smaller) LHD - either buying it here or Portugal. The thing is , I'll propably need transport as soon as I get there,primarily for the purpose of job-hunting. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks and best wishes,
Pete
Car tax applies to Portuguese registered vehicles so yes once your on Portuguese plates it will apply to you. Here is the number for a local insurance broker in the area of Portimão 00351 282 430800 if you ask for Joaquim (pronounced joe-a-ceam) speaks perfect English he can help you out
Pam

Last edited by Pam2005; Mar 15th 2005 at 1:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: moving to the Algarve

Originally Posted by Pam2005
Car tax applies to Portuguese registered vehicles so yes once your on Portuguese plates it will apply to you. Here is the number for a local insurance broker in the area of Portimão 00351 282 430800 if you ask for Joaquim (pronounced joe-a-ceam) speaks prefect English he can help you out
Pam
Thanks again, Pam. You are a total star! We're going to the Porto/Aveiro area , but I guess Joaquim will be able to put me in touch with someone up there.

Cheers,
Pete