Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving to Albufeira

Moving to Albufeira

Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Anthony.c1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Albufeira

Hey people, im extremely new here so excuse me if I did anything wrong, you probably get this question alot but if so I cant find the answer lol, I wanted to know what areas there are in albufeira that are nice to live close proximity to the beach, the strip/ old town, as ill be moving to become a barman/ waiter, I recently turned 19 and have been 3 times, and love the place, I have a fair bit of cash saved, but how long do you think it will tale for me to get a job and also, could you suggest some good long term rental websites for the area (6+ months)
Cheers guys.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:42 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Albufeira

Hi and welcome to the forum.

How much do you know about Portugal other than that it's a nice place to have a holiday? I would think very hard if I were you before you abandon whatever you have going in the UK at the moment and chance your arm here. The country has really been through the wringer over the last few years and has a chronic shortage of employment opportunities stretching back long before that.

Bar work in Albufeira will be seasonal and low paid. The minimum wage here for a full-time job with a proper contract of employment is still very low at 580€ per month. You'd be competing with family and friends of the proprietors, with students back for their summer hols and with unemployed Portuguese youths from elsewhere desperate to pick up a bit of work and have a bit of fun. You'd be very lucky indeed to get anywhere without speaking any Portuguese.

If you've got enough money to last a few months and you don't mind losing it all for the sake of the experience, the very best of luck to you and go for it. You could have a good long holiday and maybe - just maybe - defray some of the cost. If it's your carefully hoarded savings from all your birthdays and Christmases and a load else besides and it's the one chance you've got to start something big, I'd think again.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:18 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Albufeira

Finding seasonal work should not be a problem.
Finding somewhere to live more so.
Apartments in good locations, close to beaches etc will be expensive as these are also the ones tourists prefer.