Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle Insurance

Motorcycle Insurance

Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Motorcycle Insurance

We plan on buying a 125cc Vespa to join the European club circuit for the spring/summer. Although we both ride bikes every day in Thailand using our Thai licences, I only hold a car licence in the UK.

Now most of Europe allow me to ride up to 125cc on this car licence, in the UK it is only 50cc, so could someone put me onto a Portuguese insurance company who can insure my Vespa which I will soon purchase in Portugal?

I did think about taking my bike test in the UK, but understand it costs £700 all up?

Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2017, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcycle Insurance

I get mine through Liberty Seguros who seem fairly well priced & for what it's worth, the driving schools in my area offer a course of motorcycle lessons for about €450 & allow you to do it in English so it might be worth checking your local driving schools.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AllanB
We plan on buying a 125cc Vespa to join the European club circuit for the spring/summer. Although we both ride bikes every day in Thailand using our Thai licences, I only hold a car licence in the UK.

Now most of Europe allow me to ride up to 125cc on this car licence, in the UK it is only 50cc, so could someone put me onto a Portuguese insurance company who can insure my Vespa which I will soon purchase in Portugal?

I did think about taking my bike test in the UK, but understand it costs £700 all up?

Thanks
From company to company there is little to compare coverage wise, not much on offer other than 3rd party, legal and breakdown cover, you'll struggle to get driver protection and if you can get it you'll pay through the nose for it. Take out a separate "Accidentes Pessoias" insurance if you want covered and specify that you use a motorcycle, this will cover you for driving the bike and any other accident you may have, be it on two wheels or falling off a ladder.

Company wise, Fidelidade is #1 for me but you'll well served with Liberty, Zurich etc too. Just avoid the banks and online or phone insurance.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

50 year old , brit licence , enables me to ride the lower KW vespa no probs despite not having the A on my licence. I think the EU licence does this normally for restricted 125 , ie 14kw.

My insurance for new has been around 100 euros this year , road tax I think was like 6 euros. Was 80 for insurance.

I havent sold mine yet , in East Algarve if you looking for one. 65km on the clock , yep only to and back from dealer for services as I have yet to find enough time to do any real trips on it.

My last ride was the same - I just like having one around in case of emergency.

Has full bars , racking back rest and GS style Screen.

ITS LML , but dont let that fool you , it is proper old school vespa , but with 4x engine , so hassle free.... and I have had some vespas in the past so it is very appreciated to just jump on and kick it into life even with a dead battery.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by algarveandroid
50 year old , brit licence , enables me to ride the lower KW vespa no probs despite not having the A on my licence. I think the EU licence does this normally for restricted 125 , ie 14kw.

My insurance for new has been around 100 euros this year , road tax I think was like 6 euros. Was 80 for insurance.

I havent sold mine yet , in East Algarve if you looking for one. 65km on the clock , yep only to and back from dealer for services as I have yet to find enough time to do any real trips on it.

My last ride was the same - I just like having one around in case of emergency.

Has full bars , racking back rest and GS style Screen.

ITS LML , but dont let that fool you , it is proper old school vespa , but with 4x engine , so hassle free.... and I have had some vespas in the past so it is very appreciated to just jump on and kick it into life even with a dead battery.
Your scoot sounds interesting, can you PM me a little more price/photos?
Old Feb 18th 2017, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Be careful, you can only ride within the confines of your licence, regards of what the Portuguese equivalent is.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mike
Be careful, you can only ride within the confines of your licence, regards of what the Portuguese equivalent is.
Good point!
Old Feb 18th 2017, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Are you referring to not riding the bike in the UK?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Are you referring to not riding the bike in the UK?
No. A Portuguese licence may well allow you to ride up to 125cc but your UK licence does not. You can only legally ride what your UK licence allows.
I am sure there will now be a few souls saying "well I've done it" but they just haven't been caught yet!
Will your insurance cover you if you are, in effect riding, without a licence?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

No. A Portuguese licence may well allow you to ride up to 125cc but your UK licence does not. You can only legally ride what your UK licence allows.
I am sure there will now be a few souls saying "well I've done it" but they just haven't been caught yet!
Will your insurance cover you if you are, in effect riding, without a licence?
Yes Mile, I know, I pointed that out in my OP. I will only ride the scoot in countries which allow me to ride the bike, which is most of mainland Europe.

Furthermore, the bike will be on the back of my campervan, so if I am in a country where my licence is invalid, I will only ride around a field where the show is held.

But the intention is to visit countries where I can...and where the weather is half decent...and where my testicles will remain attached.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes Mile, I know, I pointed that out in my OP. I will only ride the scoot in countries which allow me to ride the bike, which is most of mainland Europe.

Furthermore, the bike will be on the back of my campervan, so if I am in a country where my licence is invalid, I will only ride around a field where the show is held.

But the intention is to visit countries where I can...and where the weather is half decent...and where my testicles will remain attached.
You said "Now most of Europe allow me to ride up to 125cc on this car licence" - this is not true. What you can ride is governed by your UK licence not where you are.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

You said "Now most of Europe allow me to ride up to 125cc on this car licence" - this is not true. What you can ride is governed by your UK licence not where you are.
Okay Mike I understand your point, you are probably right, will find out by asking an insurance company there.

Certainly many bike hire companies allow this, this is the standard terms and conditions I found and translated:- The law of Spain allows to drive scooters of 50cc and 125cc with the permission of driving of car. You need a valid driving license for Spain (vehicle or motorcycle) for example,

If not I will take my test, probably in Portugal, then buy a bigger scooter. I have more experience than most legal riders around, so just need to brush up on the theory, which has probably changed in the 100 years since I took my car test. Have made a few bike trips to Laos and Vietnam where the also drive on the wrong side of the road.

I have a 50cc Peugeot scoot in Portugal and it is as useful as a chocolate fire engine 2 up.

Thanks, I need to know where I stand.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did a Full Access Course in UK about 15 years ago just before the theory was introduced. The course is thorough, not just basic riding skills but also staying alive! Mind you you must be used to the latter!!
The provisional licence entitles are always misinterpreted because of the difference. Baffling when EU licences are supposed to be the same....happy days.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

I took my bike test in Thailand and the practical took less than a minute, the theory was 50 questions and you could get 7 wrong. I got 5 wrong as 10 of them were ridiculous, but I guessed 5 right.

Had I failed either, I could have come back tomorrow with no extra fee, in fact you could take the written test again straight away, now knowing the correct answers.

One guy turned up paralytic and begged to do the practical, eventually they let him and he fell off the plank twice, it was very funny.

I guess they were trying to encourage the 75% to come and do a test, better than nothing.

I can now ride any bike of any size anywhere in Asia.....I love this place.....ha ha!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

I have just discovered something quite interesting:-

Quotes taken from the Government DVLC website:-

My Car license covers me for "Category N" namely "Vehicles exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty"

One of the type include "Historic Vehicles" Vehicles made before 1 January 1976 are exempt.

Wikipedia say:- Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) (also known as 'vehicle tax', 'car tax', and 'road tax')

So if I buy an old Vespa of any size I can ride it on my car license.

"Not a lot of people know that..."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.