Mossies!

Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough
Default Mossies!

Hello, what's the best/worst places in the Algarve for mosquitoes, don't like getting bit!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mossies!

Originally Posted by daisyman1951
Hello, what's the best/worst places in the Algarve for mosquitoes, don't like getting bit!
Anywhere with water has mossies!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. When I stay in Belek (Turkey) mossies aren't a problem but resorts either side within 20km do have problems. So maybe it's prevailing wind or elevation who knows but there could well be similar variation in the Algarve.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

Many of the resorts spray for them.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

The East Algarve is (arguably) worse for mossies as many of the resorts have the Ria Formosa between land and beach - places like Fuseta and Cabanas can get swarmed with them sometimes.

Have actually had my first few bites in the last couple of days, but luckily I don't react badly to them...
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for a concrete answer!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Daisyman, I live in Fuseta and the only swarms I've seen are at certain times of the year, actually on the cycle path, right on the edge of the Formosa, when walking a friends dogs - blasted things were all over my friend. Left me alone, though.

I live 10 minutes walk away from the Ria Formosa and have yet to see a swarm inland.

Yes, there are a few around - after a couple of years, you will, like most of us, become immune.

As with mnost hot ish countries, you will get mozzies where there is stagnant or standing water.
Old May 1st 2013, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Only problem with mossies is just one can be a pain in the ass - literally.
We don't have a problem in Carvoeiro (central / west)- house gets sea breezes- at the top of a hill - so just the odd one.
They breed in water - but you find them everywhere to some degree
Best thing to do is put screens on doors / windows and keep them shut.
Grow marigolds (African variety), geraniums begermot, many herbs and others with natural insect repellents close to the property or in window boxes.
Or give up and use one of those plugins - cheapest is at Continente
Old May 1st 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes steve is right, where there is a prevailing breeze you definitely get less problems with them.