Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 28th 2017, 10:00 am   #61
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 20,714
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
No longer in UK now. Based in Ireland but I think that people just have different buying habits and don't always see what's available in their own country. We have fishmongers and they basically have to knock prices down because people rather eat fish fingers. People wouldn't buy squid here but in Portugal it's suddenly great.


Like parts of the UK people are also lazy and how food is prepared is different. Let's face it that even in the UK (especially Northern Ireland or Scotland) you have the most amazing meat. You could also go to a local farmer or butcher and make a deal but people don't. In Portugal many people have to grow their own food because they have less money. In the UK or here growing your own is more a hobby. Even when you travel to Scotland it's often the tourists buying the salmon. Be it Spain, Portugal or UK I don't see a huge difference in price. The habits are just different.
I think that the reason many from the UK buy squid as just one example us that we also bought and ate squid in the UK.
We do know expats who live and eat as they did in the UK rarely visit markets, local butchers or try brands they are not familiar with.
They do not realise that herbs that sit in their cupboards for years can be picked fresh when required.
They come to us for a cataplana , seafood rice , chicken piri piri or fish grilled on the BBQ.
Their cost of living may well reflect that which others have posted
The first time we bought bachalau the girl at the checkout actually asked us if we knew what it was and how to cook it.
She said that we were the first Brits she had ever seen buying it and gave us a recipe to cook it.
Much to the amusement of those in the queue behind us.
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th 2017, 10:33 am   #62
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,310
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I think that the reason many from the UK buy squid as just one example us that we also bought and ate squid in the UK.
We do know expats who live and eat as they did in the UK rarely visit markets, local butchers or try brands they are not familiar with.
They do not realise that herbs that sit in their cupboards for years can be picked fresh when required.
They come to us for a cataplana , seafood rice , chicken piri piri or fish grilled on the BBQ.
Their cost of living may well reflect that which others have posted
The first time we bought bachalau the girl at the checkout actually asked us if we knew what it was and how to cook it.
She said that we were the first Brits she had ever seen buying it and gave us a recipe to cook it.
Much to the amusement of those in the queue behind us.

That's the thing, anywhere in the world you can grow your own herbs on a window sill and it's not expensive to cook from scratch. You have those Brits who buy British products in Portugal, just like you have Brits who have to move to Portugal or elsewhere to realise that you can use other ingredients or cook in a different way.


I've seen people here live next to the ocean and they never knew you can grill fish on a bbq, or that mussels can be collected on the beach. It started with the Polish who were probably the first to catch fish and actually grill them and since more immigrants have arrived, especially Spanish, Italian and Brazilian you see more and more people having bbq's and using the ingredients we have. Even people with gardens never realised that you can actually plant a tree and grow your own fruit. That we can grow apples, pears, kiwis/figs here seemed to be unknown.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 28th 2017 at 10:43 am.
Moses2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:26 am   #63
qianh 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 119
qianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Something related to the living costs, Just received email from EDP, the price will rise from Jan. daily standing charge will be € 0.532 per day for potencia 10.35 kva, unit price will be 0.162 per kWh. I found this is quite expensive compared to what we pay in UK. Wonder if there’s cheaper option or worth changing to bi or trio Horario rate?
qianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th 2017, 1:22 pm   #64
ricko 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 78
ricko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Quote:
Our kids live in the Cotswold region and they have a LIDL and TESCO near them and we were shocked at the high prices. Up to 3 times higher than here in PT for food.



Our rent is €375 pm but is a fully furnished 2 bed modern flat.
If you wanted to return to the UK, then I fear that accommodation costs would be the pitfall; the difference in the price of accommodation would dwarf that of the food bill.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th 2017, 1:35 pm   #65
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,310
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko View Post
If you wanted to return to the UK, then I fear that accommodation costs would be the pitfall; the difference in the price of accommodation would dwarf that of the food bill.
Well it just depends and you can still rent decent enough flats or houses under £500 in some parts. Of course if someone is focused on one specific area (Cotswold) it gets harder. But even if you are an hour or two away by car still closer to kids than before. And if you're lucky enough you might be right next to a lidl or aldi. Saves petrol money:-)
Moses2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th 2017, 3:07 pm   #66
BE Forum Addict
 
Loafing Along's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,180
Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qianh View Post
Something related to the living costs, Just received email from EDP, the price will rise from Jan. daily standing charge will be € 0.532 per day for potencia 10.35 kva, unit price will be 0.162 per kWh. I found this is quite expensive compared to what we pay in UK. Wonder if there’s cheaper option or worth changing to bi or trio Horario rate?
First thing you may wish to check is if you really need 10.35 Kva. Most domestic installations / apartment with aircon units, usual electrodomestic machines etc etc run fine on 6.9Kva.

Then look at dual tariff, we use Galp and they offer it . Look for their Plano Base Galp On Eletricidade BH (FE+DD) - 25%

As a postscript I find electricity remarkably cheap when compared to Spain.
Loafing Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th 2017, 5:21 pm   #67
BE Forum Addict
 
liveaboard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,756
liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Few people need 10kw; often things are set up to avoid nuisance trips when, on rare occasions, your AC, hot water heater, and some other heavy user[s] [kettle, heating cycle in washing machine] are all on at once for a moment. Especially in houses wired for foreigners, who have the reputation of being more upset about tripped breakers than they are about high bills.


Bi horario will surely save you money as well, especially if you get clever and use a storage hot water heater only at night, washing machine and any pumps [pool, irrigation] too. The day rate is about the same as you pay now, but the night rate is half.

As with the rest of this thread, what you spend depends on your habits, needs, and situation. energy bill too high? Turn some things off.

Second hand cars are really more expensive here, but again, it depends how you approach the problem.
If you start out with the premise that you will drive car X, built in year X, you will pay more to buy it here.
On the other hand, if you say my car budget is X euros, then see what you can get, you'll have less of a car, but you'll be spending the same money.
Repairs are cheaper and the roads are not salted, if you have a garage to keep it out of the sun, cars last a lot longer than in northern areas.

Everyone goes on about food costs, but food is likely 20% of your expenses, and easily changed [in either direction] according to your needs and wants.

Health expenses; now there's a minefield of conflicting opinions!
liveaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th 2017, 12:29 am   #68
Midgo Male
Forum Regular
 
Midgo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Lisboa
Posts: 80
Midgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard View Post
Few people need 10kw; often things are set up to avoid nuisance trips when, on rare occasions, your AC, hot water heater, and some other heavy user[s] [kettle, heating cycle in washing machine] are all on at once for a moment. Especially in houses wired for foreigners, who have the reputation of being more upset about tripped breakers than they are about high bills.


Bi horario will surely save you money as well, especially if you get clever and use a storage hot water heater only at night, washing machine and any pumps [pool, irrigation] too. The day rate is about the same as you pay now, but the night rate is half.

As with the rest of this thread, what you spend depends on your habits, needs, and situation. energy bill too high? Turn some things off.

Second hand cars are really more expensive here, but again, it depends how you approach the problem.
If you start out with the premise that you will drive car X, built in year X, you will pay more to buy it here.
On the other hand, if you say my car budget is X euros, then see what you can get, you'll have less of a car, but you'll be spending the same money.
Repairs are cheaper and the roads are not salted, if you have a garage to keep it out of the sun, cars last a lot longer than in northern areas.

Everyone goes on about food costs, but food is likely 20% of your expenses, and easily changed [in either direction] according to your needs and wants.

Health expenses; now there's a minefield of conflicting opinions!
Very true,
I am totally used to trips when I forget not to put the kettle on when the washing machine is heating, it's just a part of life in all the rented accommodation I have lived in over the years
2nd hand cars are very expensive but not rusty. I have driven a UK registered car here for more years than I should have (long ago when things were more relaxed here), imported a UK car using up my 'free import' card, and bought various PT cars; and my personal choice is that its easier to bite the bullet, fix your price and buy what you can here. Cars outside Lisbon area are generally significantly cheaper.
Food is not a big outlay, relatively, and eating out is cheap away from tourist areas

Above all, Life is good here
__________________
Psychologist - Fluent English - Lisbon
Professionally registered in Portugal & UK, British Consul Medical Practitioners list
Over 20 years experience, My wife, Teresa Sutherland
[email protected]
Midgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th 2018, 7:01 am   #69
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Ozpretender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

After reading through this thread, which seem to be a discussion more about UK prices than Portuguese prices am I correct to summarise the price for an individual in the following way;

1. €1000 p/m, Bare bones for a budget in the large cities, will always be looking at ways to cut down costs. Comfortable in a lower cost region such as small cities/towns once you are happy to live a simply life with little luxuries and little disposable income to take trips home or even to other areas in Portugal.

2. €1500 p/m, comfortable in larger cities but will not be splurging on fancy meals and going to events more than a few times a month. A good figure to live well in the smaller cities across Portugal and could have the odd trip domestically and maybe even internationally if planned out well.

3. €2000 p/m, can live well in Lisbon and other big cities but not splurging weekly. Plenty of disposable to go out once or twice a week within reason. Very comfortable in the smaller towns with plenty of scope to travel at home qnd abroad throughout the year.

4. €2500-3000 p/m, a healthy budget that allows scope to live well anywhere in Portugal, with less touristic regions offering a very carefree life. Can have an active social life and not have to worry about eating out a few times a week. When your phone/laptop breaks down and you need to buy another one, no stress I have put away a few hundred every month for such an event out of above budget and can afford to buy a new MacBook to replace my older one.

I have looked at many countries from Asia to S America to Eastern Europe and beyond and the cost of living in these “cheaper” places usually end up running the same as more “developed” western countries like UK, Australia, US etc. if you want a like for like standard of living. it seems to always for me at least come back to that figure of approx €2000 pm. Maybe my goals/expectations of how I want to live are higher than others I’m not sure but for me I don’t think I would consider the move unless I had €1500 at a minimum of monthly budget scope.


Please tell me where I have gone wrong?
Ozpretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:49 am   #70
qianh 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 119
qianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to beholdqianh is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Is the accomodation cost included or not?
qianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:13 am   #71
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Ozpretender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qianh View Post
Is the accomodation cost included or not?
Yes
Ozpretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:25 am   #72
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Haworth United Kingdom
Posts: 55
robbie20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

You obviously have a very extravagant life style.

I pay a fraction of that, living most of the time in the UK, but then again I am from Yorkshire.
robbie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:47 am   #73
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Ozpretender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Breaking it down crudely this is my estimates (limited research please correct) ;

Big city living:

Rent 1/2 bed apart - E500-1000, maybe E400 if willing to share.
Bills - E150 which will include Elec, Gas, Water, Waste
Food - E400 which includes toiletries, house cleaning products, medication/vitamins
Transport - E100, How expensive are taxis(Uber?), public transport late at night an option?
Comms - E100, Phone, internet, Tv for some I dont really watch it unless I downloaded it
Entertain - E400, beers, cinema, dating, language class, fitness, concerts/sports etc

Then you could add in travel on top of this, if you have pets or not, maybe health insurance if not covered and doesnt include a contingency for replacing broken phone (is phone included in bill or prepay for E50?) , laptop, buying a bicycle, dentist/doctor visits etc etc. Your talking E2k for a comfortable existence?

Then when you look at more rural or better value for money location:

Rent - E400- 800
Bills - E100-150 which will include Elec, Gas, Water, Waste
Food - E400 which includes toiletries, house cleaning products, medication/vitamins
Transport - E50, How expensive are taxis(Uber?), public transport late at night an option?
Comms - E100, Phone, internet, Tv for some I dont really watch it unless I downloaded it
Entertain - E200, beers, cinema, dating, language class, fitness, concerts/sports etc

Approx E1500 in this case…….
Ozpretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th 2018, 11:07 am   #74
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Haworth United Kingdom
Posts: 55
robbie20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Is this breakdown for 2 people, or just 1 ? The amount allocated for food etc does seem quite a large amount compared to the amount I spend for 2 people here in the UK.

However we are vegetarians which makes a lot of difference.

This must be for one person, I've just noticed on your entertainment a you have factored in the price of dating, so I'm sure with more cooking everything yourself with local ingredients you could save quite a bit on the food aspect and still go out socialising and enjoying yourself with the surplus from that.
robbie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th 2018, 11:28 am   #75
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Ozpretender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie20 View Post
Is this breakdown for 2 people, or just 1 ? The amount allocated for food etc does seem quite a large amount compared to the amount I spend for 2 people here in the UK.

However we are vegetarians which makes a lot of difference.

This must be for one person, I've just noticed on your entertainment a you have factored in the price of dating, so I'm sure with more cooking everything yourself with local ingredients you could save quite a bit on the food aspect and still go out socialising and enjoying yourself with the surplus from that.
Yes I was just throwing out expenses that came into my head that I may have and im sure others would too. I also tend to errr on the high side as people usually under budget I think. I didnt even include clothing in the budget, there is always these unexpected/forgotten expenses. These are my guesses from some basic research and I have found they are almost the same in any capital city that is supposedly cheap. The well known capital cities are obviously on a different level but im talking about Bangkok, Manila, Madrid, Warsaw, Prague, Malta etc etc which often seem to come in about the E2k figure for a good but definitely not spectacular standard of living.

My figures were aimed just for me but I think its doable also as a couple if needs be given accommodation wont change and bills wont change too much. I like to choose organic/grass fed type food if possible but I still think E400 is middle of the road in that regard including the other sundries mentioned. Im not a big guy but I like to eat, not a great cook but dont mind cooking.
Ozpretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 am.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com