Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Old Dec 9th 2017, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

[QUOTE=tootlewagon;12396607]
Originally Posted by KateB8
Yes, I chose that area because it's not in Lisbon but easy to get there. I was thinking of Tavira; but it is quite remote and I'd get bored.

Think you might be mistaken. Tavira is not at all remote and is easily accessible from Faro Airport. Lots to do in the Eastern Algarve area, and only half an hour from Spain. Worth a bit more research in my opinion.
SSHH - stop telling everyone...
Old Dec 9th 2017, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone else chip in with a few costs...
There is...
  • Car insurance
  • Car - Road Fund Cost?
  • House Insurance
  • Dentistry Check Ups
  • Eye Check Ups
  • Hairdressing
  • etc...
Or maybe just an overall cost. I found on Google a cost of $300 per month and based on the above responses; I'm about double that already!
Depending on the car !! I thought you were going with a scooter ?. Annual road tax similar , see this link :https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/por.../vehicle-taxes

If you import a car , which you are allowed to do when you first arrive provided you have owned it for more than year note that when registered it will be taxed as a new car. then you have to keep it for five years.
House insurance about €80.- for a medium-sized apartment, contents.
Dentist check-up about €50,-
Hairdressing about €40,-
Old Dec 9th 2017, 12:30 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Dental checks / treatment = €35 per visit.
Ophthalmologist consultation €45. Cheaper for optician eye check / test.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

KateB8 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=tootlewagon;12396607]
Yes, I chose that area because it's not in Lisbon but easy to get there. I was thinking of Tavira; but it is quite remote and I'd get bored.

Think you might be mistaken. Tavira is not at all remote and is easily accessible from Faro Airport. Lots to do in the Eastern Algarve area, and only half an hour from Spain. Worth a bit more research in my opinion.
What I mean is that it's remote from Lisbon; it took over three hours to drive there.

I've stayed there a couple of times and really liked the place. First time I was there about five weeks after being made redundant.

It's a nice area and we drove around that area a lot. But I do like the culture of Lisbon; I worked there for a while and loved it.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robbie20
I must say Kate B8, you are obviously misinformed about Tavira being remote. Have you ever been ? As tootlewagon rightly says, you need to do a lot more research.
Yes Robbie, I've stayed there twice. First time for five weeks; had a hire car and toured the area. Went to Faro by train and went to Seville on the bus as well.
What I'm saying is that, I can't just nip in to Lisbon to go to a concert or something like that; it'd have to be an overnight trip.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Loafing Along;12396643]
Originally Posted by tootlewagon

SSHH - stop telling everyone...
Old Dec 9th 2017, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Depending on the car !! I thought you were going with a scooter ?. Annual road tax similar , see this link :https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/por.../vehicle-taxes

If you import a car , which you are allowed to do when you first arrive provided you have owned it for more than year note that when registered it will be taxed as a new car. then you have to keep it for five years.
House insurance about €80.- for a medium-sized apartment, contents.
Dentist check-up about €50,-
Hairdressing about €40,-
Scooter or car; I have not really decided yet. I think a scooter is good for pooling about locally; but for longer distances I might want a little car. I like the idea of an electric car. Thank you for the link; that is useful.

Thank you also for the information on costs. It's looking affordable.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Dental checks / treatment = €35 per visit.
Ophthalmologist consultation €45. Cheaper for optician eye check / test.
Thanks Eric that is very helpful.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone; so far that comes to just over €900 a month. Which is doable.

Does that amount sound about right to you?
Old Dec 9th 2017, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone; so far that comes to just over €900 a month. Which is doable.

Does that amount sound about right to you?
No dinners, no entertainment , no weekend trips around Portugal, no morning cofffees, no domestic repairs and maintenance. There is quite a list of other "day to day" which when put on top of the basics will soak an extra €500 / €700 a month.
It's amazing where it all goes
Old Dec 9th 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/
Old Dec 9th 2017, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
No dinners, no entertainment , no weekend trips around Portugal, no morning cofffees, no domestic repairs and maintenance. There is quite a list of other "day to day" which when put on top of the basics will soak an extra €500 / €700 a month.
It's amazing where it all goes
Indeed, most of the things there are what I'd call luxuries apart from domestic repairs and maintenance. Luckily, DIY is something that I enjoy doing.
However, I do need contingencies and so maybe building in €600 is worthwhile.
That would take my monthly expenditure up to €1500. Does that sound more realistic?
Again thank you for your input.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Monthly Living Costs in Portugal

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Thanks Richard, that's a useful website. it even has Cascais on the list!
Old Dec 9th 2017, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Saint or Sinner will determine your monthly allowance.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Another one : Countries Compared by Cost of living > Consumer price index > Plus rent. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

Qatar at 21st position, Portugal at 57th.

Reminds me of a survey we had to do every year in the '80s and early '90s, sent from our Head Office, obliged to wander the supermarkets and stores looking for the prices of goods, everything including packs of cards and tennis balls ( essential for Expats ) as well as such essentials as Marmite and all the usual rent, utilities etc etc. problem was the content was so english it just did not reflect at all what we were actually buying on a daily basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.