Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Old Oct 7th 2016, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Originally Posted by Ingles

Good news.. If farmers are seeing it's limited use and maybe the fast that it will be costly to keep replacing it.. it will die natural death before it's done much damage
Old Oct 7th 2016, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

A case of the stable door,horse,bolt... yet again... I am sick of 'vested interests' being the only experts that people will listen too..A scientist who says 'It's unlikely to cause cancer' Oh boy that's hedging your bets isn't it. What about the woman in the USA who lost almost a billion bee's in one fell swoop because of crop sprayers with Round up... Her experience her WORD is worth diddly squat..

. It does kill nature.. It DID burn the skin off my dog's nose. Has it done more harm to her?... I don't know..If she gets cancer in 6mths.. is that just a coincidence? age?.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Up date

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...es-moral-trial

http://www.monsanto-tribunal.org/sign

Last edited by Ingles; Oct 13th 2016 at 10:18 am. Reason: added link
Old Oct 30th 2016, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

When will common sense prevail & those only concerned with "profit before people" get stopped in there tracks !!

EPA Bows to Industry in Delay of Glyphosate Cancer Review
Old Oct 31st 2016, 1:54 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the boonies where gardening is a form of warfare [ever seen an african thorn tree, it can literally kill you] we are provided with ample chemical warfare agents.

500ml of 75% glyphosate is about 10 us, made in china. Isnt roundup about 5%?

The best soil sterilant sold is 2-4-5t and 2-4t mixed with diesel. Its only recently that i realised mixing it with aviation spirit [same thing really] yields agent orange...

In the tropics however it WORKS clearing land completely for up to 6 months. Great for house builders.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When will common sense prevail & those only concerned with "profit before people" get stopped in there tracks !!

EPA Bows to Industry in Delay of Glyphosate Cancer Review
Sorry but as long as Big Agri and Big Pharma have such a hold over the US government . and despicable people like the 33yrs old Martin S have free reign to buy a 30 yrs old Aids' drug (essential for surviving this disease ) sold at 14 + dollars a pill. and then be able to hike the price 5,000% . to make himself an obscene profit of over 200 million dollars. Things will only get worse.

These greedy companies are still knocking at Europe's door.. determined that they will get in under US laws... An example of what that might mean is the law that allows companies to operate as. individuals. The World Bank has ruled that the US mining company Pacific Rim can proceed with a case against the 'Country' El Salvador for trying to resist it's attempts at Gold mining within protected lands and communities..This is under the so called South American free trade agreement.... Thin end of the wedge for Europe
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Report after report after report over glyphosate contamination off the food's we all consume , & still those in control off the various Government Agencies who are tasked with protecting the consumer are sitting on there hands & doing nothing !
A utterly disgusting situation !

Alarming Levels of Glyphosate Found in Popular American Foods

OK :- This is a American Report , but who's to say if a similar analysis was carried out in European country , would the result be any different ?
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Report after report after report over glyphosate contamination off the food's we all consume , & still those in control off the various Government Agencies who are tasked with protecting the consumer are sitting on there hands & doing nothing !
A utterly disgusting situation !

Alarming Levels of Glyphosate Found in Popular American Foods

OK :- This is a American Report , but who's to say if a similar analysis was carried out in European country , would the result be any different ?
It's all so bl...y obvious in retrospect - GM foods are being developed to be resistant to herbicides and insecticides - why? So they can be drenched with toxic poisons to improve the yield (profit) for the agriculture industry. Why did nobody spot that there are bound to be residues of these toxins which cling to the produce which might just be dangerous to humans?

As an interesting and ironic aside. Post Brexit trade agreements with the USA would have likely been based on TTIP, which would have forced GM feeds into the UK food chain. Trump has said he will tear up free trade agreements which might scupper TTIP and save us from GM
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
It's all so bl...y obvious in retrospect - GM foods are being developed to be resistant to herbicides and insecticides -
Herbicides, yes. But plants are not susceptible to pesticides.
In fact, many GM crops are developed to produce their own organic pesticides, so reducing the amount of spraying required.

Environmentalists deplore artificial pesticides, yet also oppose crops designed to reduce pesticide use.
It seems to me that the main thrust is bashing multinational agriculture industries whatever they do, without paying too much attention to the tedious facts.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Herbicides, yes. But plants are not susceptible to pesticides.
In fact, many GM crops are developed to produce their own organic pesticides, so reducing the amount of spraying required.

Environmentalists deplore artificial pesticides, yet also oppose crops designed to reduce pesticide use.
It seems to me that the main thrust is bashing multinational agriculture industries whatever they do, without paying too much attention to the tedious facts.

and multinationals pay little attention to what those pesticides kill. They are not making a difference between the bug that eats the corn,or the bee that is in the neighbourhood. i.e. it's not very exact science. Roundup kills everything and took the skin off my dog's nose.. so i guess they didn't do much research in that area before releasing it into the public's hands.
I would far rather concentrate on the humungous amount of wasted food in the world than put a red cent more into the pocket of Big Agri
Old Nov 17th 2016, 9:15 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand, having sprayed large areas of wasteland in the Caribbean with Glyphosate at very high concentrations, I can confirm it's one of the few chemicals that actually works in this harsh environment. I can also confirm that so long as you follow the advice of keeping animals off it for 24 hours none of my neighbors goats sheep Or cows appears to have suffered. In fact I have a horrible feeling that one of the cows actually likes the taste as she runs for wet sprayed Bushes as soon as she sees them [we now ask her owner to keep her well tied up at these times.]

Its also significantly less dangerous than the older widely used alternative which was used to clear tropical fruit fields in the past [yes, your coffee bananas etc probably saw it] - a mixture of 2 4 T and 2 4 5 T which if you look it up, with an oil base is also known as agent orange...
Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
On the other hand, having sprayed large areas of wasteland in the Caribbean with Glyphosate at very high concentrations, I can confirm it's one of the few chemicals that actually works in this harsh environment. I can also confirm that so long as you follow the advice of keeping animals off it for 24 hours none of my neighbors goats sheep Or cows appears to have suffered. In fact I have a horrible feeling that one of the cows actually likes the taste as she runs for wet sprayed Bushes as soon as she sees them [we now ask her owner to keep her well tied up at these times.]

Its also significantly less dangerous than the older widely used alternative which was used to clear tropical fruit fields in the past [yes, your coffee bananas etc probably saw it] - a mixture of 2 4 T and 2 4 5 T which if you look it up, with an oil base is also known as agent orange...

I think the key word in there is 'appears'. Just because no animal or human has suddenly pegged out in front of you,doesn't mean they haven't ingested the poison and it will show up at a later date. This is the whole awful thing about this stuff. It satisfies the need for immediate.results (you know a flame thrower would work just as well if controlled.)The cow probably needed water and saw the wet stuff as a source....Please monitor it and let us know how it fares.. UH OH. it's probable due for slaughter anyway.. yes?
The astronomical rise in cancer is coming from somewhere.? Our refusal to look at the obvious sources is nothing short of criminal.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 12:12 pm

No, the cow has fresh water from a spring fed stream available, she likes her salad washed possibly.

Gardening here is a form of warfare with some nasty (not lethal) insects, but some lethal plants.

Imagine if where you lived, there were bushes that could kill you if you fell against them (thorn trees), or ones that can cause absolute agony - like a super nettle, or big bushes that turn into trees that are not just very toxic, they cause the animals to hallucinate and some like it, but the tree is so hard it eats chainsaw blades (campeche trees) or very pretty bushes that the animals will eat but will definitely kill them (brugmansia) this is why chemicals are really needed, or a lot of people working frequently with cutlasses (machetes). Its ok for me, i won't enter some areas without snake proof trousers, that protects from just about every spikey thing, but the locals just have to avoid nasties.

These things harm livestock not just people, and some suppress their food - grass - you have to control them.

NB the local agricultural college have a good hand on livestock breeding and chemical use, while you can buy pretty much anything, their advice is good. EG we use specific bacterial larvicide in lakes / ponds that stop mozzie nymphs from developing into the insects but is harmless to fish and animals. In these high temperatures bacteria rapidly deals with green waste, you dont burn it. Artificial Fertilisers are used but in really controlled quantities - no nasty run-offs here, its too expensive to waste. Once land is known safe, you release the lawnmowers (cows sheep and goats.) The water is never processed and re-consumed. It falls daily in the rainforest, makes its way through the volcanic rock to the spring lines, is tested and has some chlorine added by the water co, is used, and runs out to sea...
Old Nov 20th 2016, 12:20 pm

NB we know why cancer rates are rising, its a combination of better testing, more detection, the use of a lot of chemicals in foodstuffs, of which agro chemicals are only one example, the food industry using more "almost foods" for their livestock, and to feed humans, and similar horrors, have you read about the problems the contraceptive pill residues in water that is reused and the use of cling film is causing? Here pigs eat some locally milled pig food, but also a lot of local fruit and veg. Heck, my neighbour has pigs kept cool under papaya trees, and the pigs eat all the papayas.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Anybody can sign this.

https://forcechange.com/163265/keep-...53f8-298695509

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.