Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Old May 27th 2016, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

They made some seeds that produce plants that make sterile seed; however, that was just one product.
Other GM plants produce seeds with equal characteristics that can be replanted, so long as your Monsanto agent doesn't notice.
There are many different plants labeled GM; and not all are made by Monsanto by the way.
Old May 28th 2016, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

..Wording may differ but the idea is the same .. to make farmers dependent on Monsanto for commercial seed. Some seed has been sterile. some lasts a couple of yrs.. In the end it still means money and control in Monsanto's' pocket..As to other producers of seed.. They are being slowly squeezed out of the market.In the case of seed used for homeopathic remedies they are being banned left right and centre.
Old May 28th 2016, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Not at all Geni - I can't see why you infer that I think anything's fine. I'm no cheerleader for Monsanto or for big business in general.

I was merely debunking the myth that GM crops produce sterile seed. It's true that the possibility exists but not true that it's in use. That's all.

I assume the info posted by Ingles is sufficient proof that GM seeds are not sterile by design?

I guess Live answers that for you!
Old May 28th 2016, 7:55 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Not really.

The terminator gene technology has never been used in seeds released for sale and there is an agreement from the companies not to do so.
Old May 30th 2016, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Not really.

The terminator gene technology has never been used in seeds released for sale and there is an agreement from the companies not to do so.
Is that agreement here or in the USA? Will it hold if the USA get this trading agreement signed with Europe? I always think that like the invention of the Atom bomb. If you have it,you'll want to use it.
Old May 31st 2016, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

OMG !

Glyphosate Found in Urine of 93 percent of Americans Tested

+ One biggest problem besides the obvious, which is Monsanto's attempt to control the Worlds Seed Supplies, is as I read it with GMO plants is they are capable off pollinating & contaminating Organic Grown & other plants off the same genre, therefore depleting the "safe" seed stock.

Organic growers have to buy in certified Organic Stock & it cost a premium price !
There have been cases reported where cross pollination has accrued in crops over 2 klm's apart !

This has just come thru , note the word "RARE"
http://ecowatch.com/2016/05/26/monsa...s-pcb-lawsuit/

Last edited by Ingles; May 31st 2016 at 11:55 am. Reason: Added link
Old Jun 1st 2016, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

No comment !

Taiwan Recalls Quaker Oats Products Imported From U.S. After Detecting Glyphosate
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ingles
OMG !

Glyphosate Found in Urine of 93 percent of Americans Tested

+ One biggest problem besides the obvious, which is Monsanto's attempt to control the Worlds Seed Supplies, is as I read it with GMO plants is they are capable off pollinating & contaminating Organic Grown & other plants off the same genre, therefore depleting the "safe" seed stock.

Organic growers have to buy in certified Organic Stock & it cost a premium price !
There have been cases reported where cross pollination has accrued in crops over 2 klm's apart !

This has just come thru , note the word "RARE"
Monsanto Ordered to Pay $46.5 Million in PCB Lawsuit in Rare Win for Plaintiffs

Exactly Ingles There is no way of keeping GM seed out of organic crops. It's the stealth method of takeover. You eventually arrive at zero choice. Why anyone would think it's OK to ingest pesticide with their porridge I don't know? but apparently many think this is harmless.DDT was considered harmless Agar (s)was considered harmless,coated all our apples. My brother was the first to tell me to peel them or wash them thoroughly before eating them.way way back when he first got involved with Agri .(whats the b****y point of a peeled apple?) I am so pleased we have finally landed in a country where it is still possible (just) to trace the source of the food you eat...or grow your own
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

There has been a lot off post over this problem, now is your chance to voice your opinion !

https://www.organicconsumers.org/byt...ng-fear-profit

Remember every vote counts & future generations will suffer unless WE do something solid now.

Tomorrow may well be too late.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:33 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Exactly Ingles There is no way of keeping GM seed out of organic crops. It's the stealth method of takeover. You eventually arrive at zero choice. Why anyone would think it's OK to ingest pesticide with their porridge I don't know? but apparently many think this is harmless.DDT was considered harmless Agar (s)was considered harmless,coated all our apples. My brother was the first to tell me to peel them or wash them thoroughly before eating them.way way back when he first got involved with Agri .(whats the b****y point of a peeled apple?) I am so pleased we have finally landed in a country where it is still possible (just) to trace the source of the food you eat...or grow your own
In Portugal I have heard complaints that the fruit and veg does not stay fresh for as long as it does in the UK.
Given that at times of the year in the UK all but the basics are imported some having thousands of airmiles
the only way it can retain any freshness must be because it is coated, sprayed with preservatives, coatings,stored in gas filled containers etc.
We are what we eat and I would rather have fruit and veg that has real taste, may look a bit odd even if it only lasts for a few days.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:15 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
In Portugal I have heard complaints that the fruit and veg does not stay fresh for as long as it does in the UK.
Given that at times of the year in the UK all but the basics are imported some having thousands of airmiles
the only way it can retain any freshness must be because it is coated, sprayed with preservatives, coatings,stored in gas filled containers etc.
We are what we eat and I would rather have fruit and veg that has real taste, may look a bit odd even if it only lasts for a few days.
Yep, UK supermarkets full of waxed apples, waxed lemons, waxed oranges....... or, of course, you can pay extra for "unwaxed"

But the best of all is the fish ...... my sister lives in a fishing town in Dorset. All commercial fish (that isn't pre-sold) goes to London .... and then some comes back to be sold locally. When my wife wanted to buy a crab on the dockside (from one of a dozen or more blue barrels just landed), she was told "Best go to Tesco, these are all going to France!"
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:02 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Yep, UK supermarkets full of waxed apples, waxed lemons, waxed oranges....... or, of course, you can pay extra for "unwaxed"

But the best of all is the fish ...... my sister lives in a fishing town in Dorset. All commercial fish (that isn't pre-sold) goes to London .... and then some comes back to be sold locally. When my wife wanted to buy a crab on the dockside (from one of a dozen or more blue barrels just landed), she was told "Best go to Tesco, these are all going to France!"
I doubt that the local Algarve fisherman would use some of the stuff sold in the UK supermarkets as crab bait.
It was not until we started going to the Algarve that we bought anything other than frozen or processed fish.
The first time we had wild bass " yes expensive " it was a taste revelation as is BBQing fish I caught only a few hours before.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

They still have not made up there mind !
I think it's a fair bet that Monsantos Lobbyists in EU are running out off ideas !

Monsanto vs. People Power: EU Glyphosate License Set to Expire June 30
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think there's enough evidence available now to ban this completely.

EU Bans Glyphosate Co-Formulant, Restricts Use in Public Areas - EcoWatch
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

You mean glyphosate or tallowamine?
This is old news, the same thing was written a year ago or more.

Monsanto confirmed to Reuters that since they have shifted away from tallowamine the affect of the French ban would be "minimal,"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.