Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Old May 17th 2017, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

we take the simple approach and try to eat as naturally and as locally as possible
if we don't like what a company does and we can identify their products we stop buying them
Kellogs are the latest in our list of no-no's - they use genetically modified in their products - which i personally don't think sufficient testing has been done on
add to that the fact that a cerial i've eaten and enjoyed for most of my life now tastes like a greasy bag of chips and its now banned - as are all of their other products
Sadly i think many more will follow
Old May 18th 2017, 8:28 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i prefer porridge or oat based muesli any day.

If you mean gm maize, its only in the americas, though in theory you might find oil or corn syrup sweetner from it its unlikely outside those areas. The greasy bag of chips - whats that?

Have you ever tasted the travesty that is sunny d orangelikesortof drink, it has vegetable oil in it.
Old May 18th 2017, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

If you mean gm maize, its only in the americas, though in theory you might find oil or corn syrup sweetner from it its unlikely outside those areas. The greasy bag of chips - whats that?

Have you ever tasted the travesty that is sunny d orangelikesortof drink, it has vegetable oil in it.
it states on the kellogs box that it uses gm products
we both noticed a significant change in the flavour of the product at the beginning of this year - the flavour became very 'greasy' - like something cooked in old oil
we now buy at half the price a similar product from a German supermarket and the flavour - price - quality is much better
Regarding orange juice - this is the Portugal forum - i have 20 orange trees - and i suspect many others here have their own - and the quality is fantastic
the supermarkets here sell real fresh juice - so anyone stupid enough to buy the cardboard box variety - typical of what they sell in the UK get what they deserve

Last edited by carvoeiro; May 18th 2017 at 9:39 am.
Old May 18th 2017, 9:45 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Only kelloggs products in the us contain gmo - sugar beet and possibly maize. Its illegal in europe, and here is their statement saying so. They export certain products to europe but have to reformulate them to comply with european rules.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KelloggsU...37924378603520

However the taste is another matter. Eat what you like and trust of course...
Old May 18th 2017, 9:48 am

There is a 2nd generation risk. American animals are usually fed gmo and of course they have other questionable farming practices. These meats are exported to europe, but frankly, things that are just as bad go on in europe, you just have to be selective. Where i winter in the caribbean, its all a lot nicer, chickens are naturally jungle fowl, eggs and their meat is sooo much nicer in the tropics.
Old May 18th 2017, 9:53 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
it states on the kellogs box that it uses gm products
we both noticed a significant change in the flavour of the product at the beginning of this year - the flavour became very 'greasy' - like something cooked in old oil
we now buy at half the price a similar product from a German supermarket and the flavour - price - quality is much better
Regarding orange juice - this is the Portugal forum - i have 20 orange trees - and i suspect many others here have their own - and the quality is fantastic
the supermarkets here sell real fresh juice - so anyone stupid enough to buy the cardboard box variety - typical of what they sell in the UK get what they deserve
Not all supermarkets sell juice - most sell the abomination that is termed "nectar". Pingo Doce used to sell a pure mandarin juice, but then one day they replaced it in the fridge with..... Sunny Delight (as if that even needed a fridge!). Now they've introduced "biological" juices, but at crazy prices.

Real orange juice is like fresh milk, the locals got used to UHT and "juice drinks" like compal (and that awful coffee substitute they serve at breakfast in Hotels).... so I guess it's foreigners in the Algarve who are driving any changes. Aldi and Lidl sell juice - but from Germany and Spain!!

American food is one of the reasons to beware trade deals with the USA... GM and growth hormones aside - have you ever tasted American chocolate? No wonder they've screwed up Cadburys!!

Last edited by macliam; May 18th 2017 at 9:57 am.
Old May 18th 2017, 9:58 am

I am lucky enough to have lime lemon and seville orange trees and a passionfruit vine [and baby sweet orange trees] in my garden in grenada, nothing better than a mixed passion/lime juice imho, the west indian lime tree is an amazing thing, its all so acid that a thorn prick is more like a sting than a prick, and the limes that fall on the ground cannot be eaten by any insect, they are far too acid.
Old May 18th 2017, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

when i worked in the USA for a year i absolutely hated the food
the quality of food in the UK after the rise of the giant supermarkets - especially the low end ones followed suite and became tasteless and poor quality - inedible meat - they allowed 30% water to be added - and no one said a word - remarkable - and prepackaged tasteless fruit and veg grown for its ability to be prepackaged irradiated tasteless fruit and veg
Fortunately through some good campaigning from tv chefs and personalities the UK has started to wake up and there always was better at the top end of the market inthe UK
The quality of food in Portugal is far superior - before the 'spite and hate' mob chip in its not paradise and you have to watch what you buy - but overall much better
Old May 18th 2017, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

=uk_grenada;12253813]Nothing to do with the name of this thread.

Old May 18th 2017, 10:49 am

True, needs to be a way to fork off a thread in to a new one - im sure ive seen a forum engine that did that...
Old May 18th 2017, 11:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

After so many pages the subject is always likely to wander away from the title of the thread. If any of you are not happy with that fact just take it neatly back onto the topic.

Rosemary
Old May 18th 2017, 12:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
After so many pages the subject is always likely to wander away from the title of the thread. If any of you are not happy with that fact just take it neatly back onto the topic.

Rosemary
There's already a thread for food and drink in Portugal ...... maybe we should retire there.

The problem is, no thread will stay 100% on topic unless it's very short and focused. Someone will say something as an aside and someone else will join in the conversation .... that's how these things work.
Old May 24th 2017, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I was just reading a scientific article which kind of exemplifies the law of unexpected consequences. A strain of wheat has been GM'd to be toxic to the European Boring Beetle - passed it's test and has been released for general use. It has transpired that a side effect is that it is also toxic to a butterfly which happens to be one of it's main pollinators.
It would be ironic if it wasn't so tragic.
GM is in it's infancy and some of its consequences are completely unknown and unexpected. Nature has spent millions of years achieving a balance through trial and error. It may take millions of years of trial and error for GM - by which time there may be no nature left.
Old May 24th 2017, 8:11 am

Given pollination is part of the normal testing of any new variant, i find this somewhat Hard to believe unless it was in north korea. Can you provide a link to this?

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I was just reading a scientific article which kind of exemplifies the law of unexpected consequences. A strain of wheat has been GM'd to be toxic to the European Boring Beetle - passed it's test and has been released for general use. It has transpired that a side effect is that it is also toxic to a butterfly which happens to be one of it's main pollinators.
It would be ironic if it wasn't so tragic.
GM is in it's infancy and some of its consequences are completely unknown and unexpected. Nature has spent millions of years achieving a balance through trial and error. It may take millions of years of trial and error for GM - by which time there may be no nature left.
Old May 24th 2017, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Wheat is usually wind pollinated. I wonder if the article is about maize that has an insect problem but is also wind pollinated. Insects can still access the pollen for food purposes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.