Reload this Page >

Meo top up by credit card?

Meo top up by credit card?

Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

benwrigley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meo top up by credit card?

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the UK and my daughter lives in Lisbon. She has a Meo sim in her phone but I cannot find any way to top it up for her with my credit card.

I've called Meo but I can't speak Portuguese so they put me on hold for 30 mins and then the line went dead.

I have emailed them too, but I get no reply.

My daughter (14) says that the man in the Meo shop says it can only be done by direct debit from a Portuguese bank account.

any ideas as I'm tearing my hair out!

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meo top up by credit card?

She should be able to buy credit in most cafes & some Chinese shops if that'll help but would recommend that in the future you change the Meo sim to a lycamobile.pt one because their online PAYG credit system is a doddle to say nothing of cheaper call rates
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Go to any MEO shop or agent and pay cash
Go to any ATM and pay using Multibanco or Credit Card
Go to any PAYSHOP and pay cash or card
Use the mobile itself and the Multibanco App
Use the mobile itself and the MEO App
Use your Portuguese banks online payment system

Ask a friend with Multibanco to do it online and give them the cash

But paying from the UK bank system is like paying a UK mobile from Portugal - not really possible
Old Jan 21st 2018, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Sorry but MrBifes options are about all you can do without you having a portuguese bank account. Presumably you are sending her cash? Can’t she top up herself?
There may be other ways around it like Apple pay or google pay but I’m no expert on them. MB Way would be a good option, but again you need a PT account to transfer her the money. Sorry to pry but can’t her Mother / Guardian sort it for her?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all.

I'm afraid her mum and step-dad are not prepared to help which is frustrating, so I have no way to send my daughter the money as she doesn't have her own bank account.

In the UK you can just go to a provider's website, like o2 and top up a mobile phone with a credit card.

Are you saying that in Portugal you either have to use a bank account or cash!?

Thanks again.

Ben
Old Jan 21st 2018, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by benwrigley
Thanks all.

I'm afraid her mum and step-dad are not prepared to help which is frustrating, so I have no way to send my daughter the money as she doesn't have her own bank account.

In the UK you can just go to a provider's website, like o2 and top up a mobile phone with a credit card.

Are you saying that in Portugal you either have to use a bank account or cash!?

Thanks again.

Ben
Ben, it’s just like in the UK, you can top up through a bank, cash or ATM (multibanco). You don’t seem to have any of those options. Can you explore sending her money through Apple Pay, google or, last option, western union.?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jonny22
Ben, it’s just like in the UK, you can top up through a bank, cash or ATM (multibanco). You don’t seem to have any of those options. Can you explore sending her money through Apple Pay, google or, last option, western union.?
Hi Jonny, except that in the UK you can top up by credit card. So if it were the other way around, my daughter could have and o2 sim and I could top it up by my credit card in Portugal. Seems strange to me that they can't offer that.

Looking into lyra at the moment as they seem to allow credit card or paypal.

Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road

Just as a thought for future reference why don't you get her the top up bank card either visa/MasterCard pre paid then you can add to the account easily through your own bank and she will have her own money. Just like pocket money but card form. 😎😎
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rollermum83
Just as a thought for future reference why don't you get her the top up bank card either visa/MasterCard pre paid then you can add to the account easily through your own bank and she will have her own money. Just like pocket money but card form. 😎😎
That’s a brilliant idea. Just post her a prepaid Visa Card, text her the PIN then she can take out the cash at the multibanco and he can load it up online from the U.K.