making the move

Old Jan 27th 2015, 4:11 am
Just Joined

jb46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default making the move

Did make a post few weeks ago,cannot find it,but here is post 3 so suppose I can PM for more specific advice.

Hello,
Lived in far east for far toooooooooooooo long,sick to death of it all,and looking for re-location to Portugal. Am 68 got good pensions,but got Thai wife aged 50. This is a problem,but do not intend to be pinned down indefinitely to Thailand because of her ,she will probably feel like a fish out of water there,anyway Ill bring her along,see how it goes,get her a return ticket if things do not turn out too good, also got a couple of mutts saved from being eaten,want to bring them along, they just will not let me out of sight without howling,must have realised they taste too good

Just like to say you lot living in Portugal I have always envied you,far better than Spain,even though I can speak Spanish,never particularly felt inclined to live there.

Rambled on,but one question dental work here is comparatively cheap compared to the UK,is it expensive there? Medically here is expensive.. Might get few teeth crowned before the move if so
Old Jan 27th 2015, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: making the move

On the subject of teeth: It's unlikely anyone here will know dental costs in Thailand but for what it's worth, I pay about €25 for check, Xray, drill and fill here and standards are pretty good.

Assuming you want to bring your wife here on a permanent basis, it'll be a lot easier for you if the marriage took place in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. If it took place outside Europe then you need to have an apostille attached to your original marriage certificate that says the marriage is legal. - UKRam who posts here has had recent experience of that so he'll probably comment further on that.

Dogs: Reguire to be jabbed for rabies etc and have a pet passport. It's a relatively complicated and slow process but far from impossible....... not cheap though.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mfesharne
On the subject of teeth: It's unlikely anyone here will know dental costs in Thailand but for what it's worth, I pay about €25 for check, Xray, drill and fill here and standards are pretty good.

Assuming you want to bring your wife here on a permanent basis, it'll be a lot easier for you if the marriage took place in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. If it took place outside Europe then you need to have an apostille attached to your original marriage certificate that says the marriage is legal. - UKRam who posts here has had recent experience of that so he'll probably comment further on that.

Dogs: Reguire to be jabbed for rabies etc and have a pet passport. It's a relatively complicated and slow process but far from impossible....... not cheap though.
Thanks for this,yes will look out for expert advice.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

For the dog you will need a vet to give rabies vaccine, then wait 6 weeks [could be more], then send a blood sample to the Pastur institute in Paris for a "titer" test. takes a few weeks and some cash, they send you back a certificate.
There will be someone local to you who has experience of it all, but basically it all has to be processed by a veterinary clinic who knows what the Europeans want to see.

Thai wives are often a problem due to racial discrimination, but I'm sure you both know that. There will be a few extra hurdles is all.
Medical and dental probably more expensive than Thailand, but a lot cheaper than northern Europe.
If you have work done before traveling, leave plenty of time in case of complications. You don't want a crown coming loose or an abscess when you have a non-refundable flight booked.
Having also lived in the East for much of my life, I would say that Portugal is a sort of medium between east and west; not so hectic and expensive as northern Europe, but still more expensive than the far east.
Infrastructure is good, bureaucracy terrible but not as bad as Thailand.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by liveaboard
For the dog you will need a vet to give rabies vaccine, then wait 6 weeks [could be more], then send a blood sample to the Pastur institute in Paris for a "titer" test. takes a few weeks and some cash, they send you back a certificate.
There will be someone local to you who has experience of it all, but basically it all has to be processed by a veterinary clinic who knows what the Europeans want to see.

Thai wives are often a problem due to racial discrimination, but I'm sure you both know that. There will be a few extra hurdles is all.
Medical and dental probably more expensive than Thailand, but a lot cheaper than northern Europe.
If you have work done before traveling, leave plenty of time in case of complications. You don't want a crown coming loose or an abscess when you have a non-refundable flight booked.
Having also lived in the East for much of my life, I would say that Portugal is a sort of medium between east and west; not so hectic and expensive as northern Europe, but still more expensive than the far east.
Infrastructure is good, bureaucracy terrible but not as bad as Thailand.
Again Thanks.

Just get so homesick lately too,and nothing in the UK any more.

Think a lot of ex-pats are thinking the same as I living here,some choose Spain,but Portugal seems to be favourite with more experienced returnees

Thailand is way different to few years ago,the Thais not as friendly for sure,think they want rid of farang now ,and I just want a steady climb down to securing a place for my old old age
Old Jan 30th 2015, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

You would have to go to a private dentist here as I presume you do not have UK Health care. Cost for a filling is E75.00.

As you will have to go through the same process as me having a non EU wife, feel free to ask me questions when you start.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
You would have to go to a private dentist here as I presume you do not have UK Health care. Cost for a filling is E75.00.

As you will have to go through the same process as me having a non EU wife, feel free to ask me questions when you start.
Maybe the cost depends on the individual case but down here in the central zone, an x-ray, local anaesthetic, drill and fill recently cost me about €25 or €30.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Was that not on your Portuguese SS as I recall you saying that you managed to get SS?
Old Jan 30th 2015, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't know if there are NHS dentists here but if there are, we don't use them. Our dentist is completely private.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

So my daughter was ripped off. A week later in the UK, she flossed her teeth and it fell out. E75 wasted.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Certainly sounds like you paid over the odds..... especially if the work wasn't up to scratch.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Yes it certainly sounds like your daughter was stung, the norm here for dentists is to charge per appointment, 35-40€ wherever you get a filling or a clean, only when there is something exceptional you may pay extra.

I do however know of a dentist in Porto who my wife used to go to and he also took 75€,
Old Jan 30th 2015, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Berlimey, you lot got it cheap

Minimum down here is 50 euros and where I go - but he is a good dentist - is 60 euros.

Old Feb 1st 2015, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ukkram

Hello UKKram,

Yes will have Thai wife,could be a problem though.Thai women especially like mixing with their own,could chatter all day.

As I stated before ,getting fed up in far east and need to get back to somewhere nearer the UK,and Portugal seems to fit the bill. Spain a bit too much up its own backside as far as I can judge and did take a month taking it all in a couple of years ago

Would appreciate advice on getting her into Portugal,but more importantly ,the prospect of her getting a job. I do give her a fair bit,but would like her to find a job to get her busy. I know jobs there are near impossible ,but she earns next to nothing for a 12 hour day here,will give her some confidence too.

Realise marriage will give her right of passage,did state had wife,should have stated ( will be) but Thai marriages are nothing,ten a penny really. Been with her for ever and a day but will give her an opportunity to further herself,she can speak English quite well..
One question,how long would she await permission and obtaining NI number?
Anything but everything you think is worthwhile me taking on board will be appreciated

Looking at the eastern Algarve, small village or town few miles inland but many people tell me its far too quiet. Would not mind a bit of quietness in my life after this mad house

Thanks anyway,any help much appreciated
Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:26 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jb46
Would appreciate advice on getting her into Portugal,but more importantly ,the prospect of her getting a job. I do give her a fair bit,but would like her to find a job to get her busy. I know jobs there are near impossible ,but she earns next to nothing for a 12 hour day here,will give her some confidence too.

Realise marriage will give her right of passage,did state had wife,should have stated ( will be) but Thai marriages are nothing,ten a penny really. Been with her for ever and a day but will give her an opportunity to further herself,she can speak English quite well..
One question,how long would she await permission and obtaining NI number?
Anything but everything you think is worthwhile me taking on board will be appreciated
Hi from the France Forum. The rules and regulations for non-EU spouses must be the same in France and Portugal, in which case you'd be advised to consult your nearest Portuguese Consulate in Thailand concerning your future wife's residence in Portugal. I obviously can't advise on her chances of finding work in Portugal, but if you were coming to France, they would be bleak, not speaking the language.
There was a thread on the France Forum concerning dogs arriving in Europe from Asia, indicating that particular requirements must be complied with, a special form has to be signed by your local vet before you leave. You'd do well to google the Portuguese Customs before you book your flight. If your flight isn't direct, check with the Customs of your European stopover airport.
Hope this advice which is applicable to France is of some help! Fore-warned is fore-armed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.