Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking for rural land to buy or lease

Looking for rural land to buy or lease

Old Mar 28th 2015, 6:18 am
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for rural land to buy or lease

We are searching for a permanent location to park our self-contained caravan and a container that we’ll convert into a living room/work space that also had land for gardening. Perhaps rather than set up a container, as such, the land may already have a ‘ruin’ or dwelling we can modify? We’ve seen some amazing properties with many acres of land, even fruit trees, plenty of water and some with dirt road access and utilities in place for €3,000-€9,000 in the northern hinterlands. We want a place to live in the (I know, HOT) summers when we rent the apartment out; a place to go-to and stretch out, plant a garden, touch the soil, let Betsy-the-Ridgeback run around, a place for Pat’s tools and to immerse ourselves in more rural Portugal. And I’ve a wee business idea that requires land. We don’t need land with planning permission as we don’t want to ‘build’ a house. Our biggest concern is security in these fairly remote affordable lands for sale. Therefore we’d also consider a long term let (20+years) if someone already has a rural property.
We (may) need to be within a couple of hours of Tavira as we need to manage the apartment. But we’ll look at all ideas and offers.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 8:51 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for rural land to buy or lease

You may need to go further than two
hours to get away from the hot summer. Inland Portugal is even hotter than the Algarve.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 9:35 am
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh yes I think you are correct more like 4 hours and YES it's SOOOOO VERY hot. Buuuuut that said....who knows what we may find that's reasonable price and good soil? It's the SECURITY that's our real concern/barrier.... hmmmmmm
Old Mar 28th 2015, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend you go and talk to whichever local Camara is involved before you commit because it's quite likely they won't let you put the caravan and container on any rustic land on a permanent basis.

Have you considered trying to find a cottage or similar with land and storage facilities attached that you could rent on a long term basis? - It'd cost more but you wouldn't have any security worries if you find the right place.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:25 am
Smokn Joy

Oh thank you mfsharne, yes we are looking at all ideas but cost is an active variable equal to security as we just bought the place in Cabanas. Several of the rural properties that we found online 'claim' to have living allowances in place, such as approved planning permission etc., but s/he who believes what s/he reads online is a mega-fool. So we're a wee bit excited but we're UBER cautious and will have all documents and 'promises' validated through our solicitor....for sure! We're way too old to make impetuous mistakes.......
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you'll have problems in keeping a caravan or a container on any rustic land anywhere in Portugal for any significant length of time...... you might get away with it for maybe a year or two to start with but sooner or later the local Camara are going to get wise to it and when they do, they'll move you on.

However, if you take the caravan and container out of the equation, I reckon you could probably find something like an apartment or cottage with lock up storage/workshop and a field or two without any great problems......... It would be more expensive though.

Price will vary from area to area but in my area (Pedrogao Grande ish), my guess is you'd get something like that for about €300 - 350 per month plus expenses but if you rent out your place in Taveira then you'd easily come out on top.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 12:37 pm
Smokn Joy

Looking your area up now ...THANKSSSSSSS may just take a drive up for a look see early next week.... deb
Old Mar 29th 2015, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Let me know if you are coming to the area....... it'd be nice to meet up with a fellow forum member for a coffee.

And for what it's worth, there's a fair bit of land here (many plots of fairly small size) that would be available for just a peppercorn rent. Funnily enough, my (Portuguese) neighbour and I were only talking about how hard it is to find someone to work the lands just a few days ago.

I'm just now thinking of putting a few ducks into one of my fields because I'm gatvol sick of cutting the bloody grass!
Old Mar 29th 2015, 2:54 pm
Smokn Joy

Yes, we'd love to meet up for a coffee, forgot next week ends in Easter, so either we come up Monday/Tuesday or after the holiday.... hmmmmm so we can't take the caravan out of the equation as it's part of the core mix of the reason for the search for another piece of property as we need to store /make use of it if we give up France and actually put all our eggs into the Portugal land basket. And as nice as this apartment is, part of its current mandate is to generate income to supplement the pension SOOOO where to 'live' part-time when it does its work? AND My books alone wouldn't fit in this place much less all Pats tools (builder, electrician, plumber...the quintessential DIY man). We don't want to actually build a another house (mid-60's we are now). But our yearning for gardening/farming and making things from the garden is strongly influencing our decision. SOOO, we're thinking VERY creative for a 20+ year solution and "peppercorn rent" is just up our alley as long as we have the option to 'dwell' and there's shade and cheap water. I looked at a website called PurePortugal.com in your area found lots of stimulating bits of land and such there...a long term lease is not out of the question... buying a better idea. mfesharne, perhaps PM your contact details and we'll get it touch when we come up. Deb
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I reckon you'll have problems in keeping a caravan or a container on any rustic land anywhere in Portugal for any significant length of time...... you might get away with it for maybe a year or two to start with but sooner or later the local Camara are going to get wise to it and when they do, they'll move you on.
There are people with containers and caravans on their land around here in Aljezur for many years.
Some live there full time.
Tents, yurts, and tipis too.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:24 pm
Smokn Joy

Hi kiddo/liveaboard....have you any ideas for us? You know how to reach us direct.
Deb
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'll ask around for you; the guy who will likely know someone is away for a few weeks though.
There are many unused plots around, and rental should be reasonable. But when they sell they ask for quite high prices because we have access to irrigation water. And the beach.