Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking for practical advice and on site help in refurb of Algarve derelict property

Looking for practical advice and on site help in refurb of Algarve derelict property

Old Sep 2nd 2006, 12:50 pm

haztomloz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for practical advice and on site help in refurb of Algarve derelict property

Hello everyone

Finally it seems we are ready to source our place in the Algarve. We have found a ruin within a short distance of Portimao.

To make it work around everything else, we are looking for a British (ex?) builder (or anyone with enough building/DIY knowledge) who might take on a project management role, or even do the work.

In our typical style we are diving in with both feet, so anything anyone has to offer in the way of advice, factual or anecdotal, that could be useful please would you throw it in - and by anything we mean anything, from beginners basics to detailed information.

Any links anyone could provide on the local planning law/procedures would be helpful also.

Thanks in anticipation

Mark Allen
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for practical advice and on site help in refurb of Algarve derelict property

Why are you looking for a British builder? Why not use a local builder?
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:50 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for practical advice and on site help in refurb of Algarve derelict property

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Why are you looking for a British builder? Why not use a local builder?
I agree.why do you want an english builder?
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:55 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for practical advice and on site help in refurb of Algarve derelict prope

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
I agree.why do you want an english builder?
You'd agree with anything for a drink!! Ha!!

Nomad is watching!!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:39 am

I going to tread carefully with an answer here...

The comment was geared more towards finding a British builder to do a project management role to bridge the language gap.

I'm aware that the local trades operate differently (there's a lot more reinforced concrete etc etc) and as such the majority of physical build would need to be done by the local guys, and I wouldn't want to do it any other way

But, I've read horror stories here and there, and I work for a developer in England and frankly its hard enough dealing with the guys over here (I know that sounds cynical but its unfortunately true.)

Plus, I know of examples of local agents geared up to do a project management role who don't perform - so i was hoping to fish around to find a less formal, but potentially more trustworthy relationship.

Does that make sense? Or as i say, does it just sound cynical?

Mark
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by haztomloz
I going to tread carefully with an answer here...

The comment was geared more towards finding a British builder to do a project management role to bridge the language gap.

I'm aware that the local trades operate differently (there's a lot more reinforced concrete etc etc) and as such the majority of physical build would need to be done by the local guys, and I wouldn't want to do it any other way

But, I've read horror stories here and there, and I work for a developer in England and frankly its hard enough dealing with the guys over here (I know that sounds cynical but its unfortunately true.)

Plus, I know of examples of local agents geared up to do a project management role who don't perform - so i was hoping to fish around to find a less formal, but potentially more trustworthy relationship.

Does that make sense? Or as i say, does it just sound cynical?

Mark
No its not cynical,you are thinking of all angles,BUT
In my humble opinion,you need a project manager,who can liase with all,from the camara to the labourers,and i think he should be Portuguese.
There are some good guys around.
I know of one project manager,who I trust 500%,but I need to ask him first if he is able to help you,before I pass on his details.
Its a fact of life,that the portuguese will respect their own more than british,and I think the whole process will be alot easier with a portuguese on your side.
You are thinking more of your communication with the manager,than his communication with all the people that are going to be involved,dont worry about that,you will find someone who can speak english.
I will speak to my contact and see if he has time to help,he is based here in Vale da Telha,so not a million miles away from Portimao.
Regards
Cleri
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:17 am

Cleri

thanks for that - its exactly the type of help I'm after.

Have a word with your man if you would, but I've still got a way to go before I get to the practicalities of building so I don't want to mislead anybody into thinking I've got work just yet.

Your advice is very clear - its sounds like experience talking, did you have to have work done when you moved over?

My trouble is I know too much (or at least I think I do), after all, building houses is what I do over here - and I'm concerned I won't be able to quickly adjust to the European work attitude.

Everything here is programme, timing and stress, and its pretty ingrained into me. Which is exactly the reason why i want to get out of the place before it kills me - is that paradoxical or irony, I'm not quite sure (probably neither)

Thanks for you help

Mark
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by haztomloz
Cleri

thanks for that - its exactly the type of help I'm after.

Have a word with your man if you would, but I've still got a way to go before I get to the practicalities of building so I don't want to mislead anybody into thinking I've got work just yet.

Your advice is very clear - its sounds like experience talking, did you have to have work done when you moved over?

My trouble is I know too much (or at least I think I do), after all, building houses is what I do over here - and I'm concerned I won't be able to quickly adjust to the European work attitude.

Everything here is programme, timing and stress, and its pretty ingrained into me. Which is exactly the reason why i want to get out of the place before it kills me - is that paradoxical or irony, I'm not quite sure (probably neither)

Thanks for you help

Mark
Hi
No we bought a house that was already completed,but we live in Vale da Telha which is a continuos building site.Most Portuguese here are involved with construction,so we hear all the stories,and a lot of our portuguese friends are involved too.Im afraid it will be very very stressful for you,but Im sure,well worth it in the end.
You will have all the usual problems with workers,and goods not being delivered when they say.and the camara taking ages to approve things etc etc
But at least you know what you are talking about,re building,so thats a good advantage Im sure!
Rui is on holiday at the moment,but I will speak to him soon,and let you know,when do you visualise starting the project?
Good luck
Cleri
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:50 am

Default Re: Looking for practical advice and on site help in refurb of Algarve derelict prope

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
You'd agree with anything for a drink!! Ha!!

Nomad is watching!!
Nosey Nomad
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:29 am
Just Joined

nimitza is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Looking for practical advice and on site help in refurb of Algarve derelict prope

Hi there,
I've recently moved to Portugal central, that is my family and I. I am a general builder and can help anyone looking for an all round builder.
I can tackle all jobs if not too big, don't want to build apartments you know.
I have 25 years in the trade, no complaints!
Kind Regards,
Nick.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by nimitza
Hi there,
I've recently moved to Portugal central, that is my family and I. I am a general builder and can help anyone looking for an all round builder.
I can tackle all jobs if not too big, don't want to build apartments you know.
I have 25 years in the trade, no complaints!
Kind Regards,
Nick.
Nick

thanks for that.

I've picked up a plot over here for a couple of houses so I'm finishing them first - I'll keep this link for the future.

Well done for getting out their, we're very jealous!

Mark
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

hi Nick
how far from Tomar are you?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

nimitza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by omostra06
hi Nick
how far from Tomar are you?
Hi,
I am about 90km from Tomar, close to Nazaré.
Regards, Nick.