British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Lizard problem (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/lizard-problem-905461/)

Stoort Nov 5th 2017 2:36 pm

Lizard problem

I'm due back at my Casa In the next few weeks and when I open up the door I will expect the usual signs of lizards being in the house.
Is there any way of stopping them as I know their droppings are highly toxic?

EMR Nov 5th 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Lizard problem

Originally Posted by Stoort (Post 12375190)
I'm due back at my Casa In the next few weeks and when I open up the door I will expect the usual signs of lizards being in the house.
Is there any way of stopping them as I know their droppings are highly toxic?

Lizards toxic? count yourself lucky.

Ukkram Nov 5th 2017 6:04 pm

Many kids have lizards as pets and I love the geckos. So cute but they shed their tails when picked up.

uk_grenada Nov 5th 2017 6:13 pm

I live in peace with my geckos. They eat mosquitos and i dont hassle them. Ive actually had them jump onto me to eat a mozzie about to eat me...

I have picked them up if they are in the way, they dont bite or really object much.

We also have hulking great iguanas and some constrictor snakes [4 ft] but they both cant get under a door and just drink my pool. I like them too. The snakes are kept under control by mongoose, but the snakes live in fruit trees where they eat rodents.

A cat or dog will keep them all away.

RichardHenshall Nov 5th 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Stoort (Post 12375190)
... Is there any way of stopping them as I know their droppings are highly toxic?

Surely the droppings are only (potentially) harmful if you ingest them?

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12375325)
... A cat or dog will keep them all away.

You can't really leave a cat or dog in an unoccupied house (for weeks/months?) without having worse things than gecko droppings to clear up. ;)

I'd much rather have (toxic) gecko droppings than potentially deadly mosquitoes and while I'm always impressed by a gecko's ability to defy gravity I do find it annoying that the droppings also cling to the walls.

uk_grenada Nov 5th 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall (Post 12375433)
Surely the droppings are only (potentially) harmful if you ingest them?

You can't really leave a cat or dog in an unoccupied house (for weeks/months?) without having worse things than gecko droppings to clear up. ;)

I'd much rather have (toxic) gecko droppings than potentially deadly mosquitoes and while I'm always impressed by a gecko's ability to defy gravity I do find it annoying that the droppings also cling to the walls.

Im with you, i prefer my lizards to cats and dogs anyway, its just that my neighbours house cat does the job for them.

We also have other varieties of little lizards [active at night mainly] and delightful poison arrow frogs, orange or metallic blue. About 5-7mm long and highly poisonous, just touching them can give you halucinations apparently [so i dont.].

Stick insects are lovely and comevinside but seem very fragile. If touched even the big ones often die. We have several possum varieties, the robinsons possum or locally manicou cane is lovely, from a distance rat like, but are nocturnal with huge eyes, a fluffy tail and no fear of anything, they live in my palm trees, esp date palms.

liveaboard Nov 5th 2017 10:34 pm

I also like lizards, but that doesn't answer the op's question.

Tight fitting doors and windows, and closing up any gaps and through pipes should do it.
We don't have them in our house in Portugal.

uk_grenada Nov 5th 2017 10:51 pm

Problem is that they can entirely live a life in a house, they dont need to come from outside much. As babies they are tiny, if its not completely insect proof, probably not lizard proof.

GeniB Nov 7th 2017 9:04 pm

I have had lots of tiny Gecko's overwinter in the house.,usually in the woodpile or fireplace. I have never seen any evidence of poop,nor have I ever heard of it being 'highly toxic' Gecko's aren't poisonous in themselves,so i am at a loss as to why their poop would be,and in what circumstances ?

RichardHenshall Nov 7th 2017 9:37 pm

I suspect it's mainly salmonella and the like that lurks in gecko sh!t and it's surely only a hazard if normal hygiene measures are ignored. Those who keep them as pets may be more vulnerable (a bit like psittacosis and parrots). So when you do find some gecko sh!t, don't eat it!

macliam Nov 7th 2017 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
So when you do find some gecko sh!t, don't eat it!

Rule of thumb for expats, along with:

- Don't try kissing the scorpions;
- Don't play tag with wild boar.
etc., etc.:tounge_smile:

RichardHenshall Nov 7th 2017 11:32 pm

Scorpions :eek:

I've not met them here but spooked by that comment my Googling led me to a site with the following advice:

"When you first arrive in a foreign country, you must first find a local chemist, then a local medical centre or hospital, you may not need them, but if you do in case of an emergency, then you will not waste any valuable time looking for one."

When we've done that we can live with the geckos, scorpions, javali etc. :lol:

macliam Nov 8th 2017 3:39 am

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall (Post 12377215)

I've not met them here but spooked by that comment my Googling led me to a site with the following advice:

"When you first arrive in a foreign country, you must first find a local chemist, then a local medical centre or hospital, you may not need them, but if you do in case of an emergency, then you will not waste any valuable time looking for one."

Oh yes, little beggars like to hide under rocks - and at certain times we need to be careful they don't come into the house (taipa, so cool).
http://naturlink.pt/ResourcesUser/Ga...3%A1ticos5.jpg
Whilst my neighbours are keen to claim they are venom-monsters from hell (along with the famous "spit in your eye to blind you" geckos), I've been told the sting is a bit worse than a hornet, but unlikely to be fatal. Either way, I hope to give it a miss.

But they're quite passive,I remember watching the neighbours cat playing with one, batting it from one paw to the other as they do. Cat's still alive, no damage. Scorpion survived too as the cat got bored.....

GeniB Nov 8th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall (Post 12377215)

I see you post Luz as an address in the Algarve Richard.. I live near there .Local hairdresser found a Scorpion in her shop once.. My YD lived in the old town of Lagos and had several in her flat during and after renovation... Mind you she is a Scorpio so perhaps they were looking for like :eek:

They are not supposed to be too bad if they ever get the chance to bite you.Like a wasp sting.. The old trick in France was to put lavender around your window sills etc.They are supposed to hate it.I am not sure what their diet is ,maybe cockroaches,hence being in old properties.

GeniB Nov 8th 2017 12:24 pm

I think the fear of Geckos came in with the Moors. They believed they were poisonous (false) and that you got skin diseases from them. Maybe open cooking pots and nil hygiene in those days mean't their poop got in food, and gave them food poisoning