Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Learning Portugese

Learning Portugese

Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:22 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Portugese

Originally Posted by JJHolmes
Thanks for all advice. I'm currently rather middle aged and starting from scratch in the UK. Have an open ended job in Portugal whenever I can manage the language and its our dream to be living there.
Is the language actually a pre-requisite for the job and if so, to what standard?
Old Nov 4th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I can or rather could speak 3 languages as well as my Mother tongue but find Portuguese harder to learn than all put together & also find pronunciation variable by area (to say the least)

A friend of mine has been going to weekly lessons for more than 6 years & his neighbours still can't understand a word he says but can understand everything he writes...... They tell him he's been taught 'high Portuguese' & they speak ordinary Portuguese. lol!

My ex oh had many rather expensive lesson from a retired Uni Professor in the Algarve, the result ,exactly the same as above !!!
Old Nov 4th 2017, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

sandyeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , Portuguese Language Lessons are based in Tomar and are advertising 2 - 5 days intensive courses early 2018.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJHolmes
Thanks for all advice. I'm currently rather middle aged and starting from scratch in the UK. Have an open ended job in Portugal whenever I can manage the language and its our dream to be living there.
I can sympathise with you J Holmes. It does take an inordinate amount of time and effort to learn a new language as an adult. I lived in the Netherlands for 30 yrs, it took me three yrs to speak even half way decent Dutch. I had the help of a neighbour though who was a teacher .She made sure I had coffee with her once a week. At first I absolutely dreaded it.Many's the time I wanted to invent an illness to get out of it.It is the best way however . to learn. If you can't find a handy native speaker to help you,then i strongly recommend children's TV prog's. or soap opera's. They use repetitive words and simple vocabulary. The news is also useful. I also have a CD in my car with lessons from Michel Thomas.An excellent teaching method that doesn't require you to do anything but listen.
There's no substitute however for actually getting out there and speaking though. I use the method I used in NL. Which was to have my first words ready and then when they inevitable tried to switch to English,I would say,Ok, but how do you say this or that in Dutch( or now-In Portuguese) .I would store up that extra bit to add to my first sentence .-gradually building it up over time.,until I had a complete sentence. Its amazing how fast it will go after that.

Having said all this I am also struggling with Portuguese,but not for the usual reasons. My problem is an OH who has become fluent so rapidly that he has left me far behind. I can't get a word in edgeways now.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I thought it was me, until a Portuguese friend from Lisbon came to stay ..... and said the same thing! But that's more about the person than the language - and that's probably the same with the people you quote..
I laughed when I read this! I spent a couple of weeks in Lagos & Portimão Hospitals last year. At least twice I, (British), had to interpret for a couple of very refined Coimbra-educated lady interns who could not understand velhotes from São Marco da Serra and Vila da Bispo!