British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Keeping chickens (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/keeping-chickens-450667/)

camogirl May 16th 2007 1:40 pm

Keeping chickens

Our chickens are not laying as many eggs at present. Maybe 1 to 3 per day. We have 22 chickens and 1 rooster. The eggs that are layed have either been pecked or sat on.
What is going on? Anyone with any advice would be welcome. It is very hard trying to find the one(s) who are breaking the eggs. I know that it is bad for chickens to get a taste for eggs.

TONY P May 16th 2007 2:31 pm

Re: Keeping chickens

Originally Posted by camogirl (Post 4788812)
Our chickens are not laying as many eggs at present. Maybe 1 to 3 per day. We have 22 chickens and 1 rooster. The eggs that are layed have either been pecked or sat on.
What is going on? Anyone with any advice would be welcome. It is very hard trying to find the one(s) who are breaking the eggs. I know that it is bad for chickens to get a taste for eggs.

I am no expert on hens but I have heard that if they get stressed, for example by a predator, they can go off lay. Don't know if that helps or not.
regards

TONY P May 16th 2007 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by TONY P (Post 4789021)
I am no expert on hens but I have heard that if they get stressed, for example by a predator, they can go off lay. Don't know if that helps or not.
regards

Please have a look at www.Hencam.co.uk/?tips it might help
regards

alentejo joe May 17th 2007 5:26 pm

blowing and hollowing out an egg and re filling it with curry sauce will cure this

Arightpair May 17th 2007 8:27 pm

Alenjtejo
I do not have chickens, but am interested in this post particularly why putting curry sauce into the egg??? how would this eliminate the problem??:unsure:
Elaine

derbyflan May 18th 2007 8:22 am

Originally Posted by alentejo joe (Post 4794069)
blowing and hollowing out an egg and re filling it with curry sauce will cure this

:D

jdr May 18th 2007 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by alentejo joe (Post 4794069)

I know some chicks who love curry. ;-)

Nomad_H May 18th 2007 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4798014)
I know some chicks who love curry. ;-)

I lived in India a few years back and I went out with a Bombay Duck!:rofl:

alentejo joe May 18th 2007 5:20 pm

ok you put the egg back into the nest and guess what ,these chicks hate curry no more pecking at eggs but my bird loves a curry too and eggs .wot should i do:confused:

Nomad_H May 18th 2007 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by alentejo joe (Post 4798964)
ok you put the egg back into the nest and guess what ,these chicks hate curry no more pecking at eggs but my bird loves a curry too and eggs .wot should i do:confused:

When your bird feels a bit peckish, hit her over the head with a drumstick, but the police might suspect fowl play!:p

jdr May 18th 2007 5:29 pm

LOL

alentejo joe May 18th 2007 5:39 pm

yeh i wont hit her with a breast be areasted as pervert

Nomad_H May 18th 2007 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by alentejo joe (Post 4799043)
yeh i wont hit her with a breast be areasted as pervert

I'm tittering at that remark!:rofl:

alentejo joe May 18th 2007 6:25 pm

dont laugh mate shes read this and spitting feathers,help

crispy May 18th 2007 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by alentejo joe (Post 4799254)
dont laugh mate shes read this and spitting feathers,help

You should have plucked her before she read it.