Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

It's the 29th now what

It's the 29th now what

Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's the 29th now what

Hi All

Ok it's now the 29th so what. What does all the worrying about Brexit amount to nothing because we as individuals or groups have no power to do anything apart from to worry about the future.

So let's just enjoy the sunny day outside, mine is a cuppa this early in the day

Happy Brexit to all.

Peter
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's the 29th now what

The public has made their decision; a glorious Britannia that will once more rule the waves, king of trade, a well funded NHS, high value employment for blue blooded Brits, and keep the foreign blighters offshore where they belong.

Good luck, Brits; we're going to miss you.

We're headed for the beach, as you said Peter, to enjoy the day.
Trump has just sold our air and climate for a few bucks, so we'd better enjoy what's still left.

Sorry, but this is all just really depressing.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

The sun will still come up tomorrow & when it does, it'll be the 30th and so on. The earth will still turn & the seasons will change just as they've always done.

Life goes on & it's far too short to fret about things we can't change.

Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
The public has made their decision; a glorious Britannia that will once more rule the waves, king of trade, a well funded NHS, high value employment for blue blooded Brits, and keep the foreign blighters offshore where they belong.

Good luck, Brits; we're going to miss you.

We're headed for the beach, as you said Peter, to enjoy the day.
Trump has just sold our air and climate for a few bucks, so we'd better enjoy what's still left.

Sorry, but this is all just really depressing.

Thank god this day has come at last..I mean that the rude,name calling,smug,ignorant leavers have finally left. The door is slammed shut.They have finally,finally flounced. It might be disastrous for the UK.It might not be what any sane person would have chosen in the face of Trump and Putin. It might be the saddest mistake we have ever witnessed the UK make...but if we never have to hear another word from MR DD..it might just be worth it
I'm off to the beach too Enjoy your day
Old Mar 29th 2017, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
...but if we never have to hear another word from MR DD..it might just be worth it
:
Who's Mr DD?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:34 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Who's Mr DD?
Better you do not know😃
Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

rickuk3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see the re-moaners are still in full voice
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rickuk3
Glad to see the re-moaners are still in full voice
oh RickUK, you're either very brave or .......

Pmsl
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

oh RickUK, you're either very brave or .......

Pmsl
He's right........ and I believe it's called democracy which is where the will of the majority rules.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfesharne
He's right........ and I believe it's called democracy which is where the will of the majority rules.
Yeah, well I experienced 'democracy' in here when I suggested to someone, who was being distruthful and degrading about the country whose passport I carry, that they were mistaken. All the fool could do was say rude things about me instead. Then I watched as the fool did it to someone else who disagreed with them.

Sadly democracy isn't respected when you can say what you like cuz you're hidden behind a "username"

But hey, weather's getting better.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 11:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I believe we had this conversation a bit ago.
It was not a majority. It was a narrow 3% . Hence all this ire between the two camps.

"Point of order here please with regard to the turnout and result of the UK referendum.

It was not "half the electorate" nor a "majority"

The turnout out was 72% of the entire electorate not 100%. That would be over a quarter of the electorate that did not bother to vote or could not get their vote in for some reason. So, just 75% of the electorate got to have their say.

Out vote was 37.5% of those able to vote
In vote was 34.5% of those able to vote
No vote was 28%

That is a narrow margin of just 3% of the total electorate. Only a 1.3million difference over a total electorate of 44.7 million people. Not a majority.

As you were. "
Old Mar 29th 2017, 11:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yeah, well I experienced 'democracy' in here when I suggested to someone, who was being distruthful and degrading about the country whose passport I carry, that they were mistaken. All the fool could do was say rude things about me instead. Then I watched as the fool did it to someone else who disagreed with them.
Sadly democracy isn't respected when you can say what you like cuz you're hidden behind a "username"

But hey, weather's getting better.
Name calling & degradation takes all forms. Aggressive or passive. None are good . Both are bad.
Not everyone is going to agree with everyone all of the time. That does not make either side right or wrong. It simply means opposing views.
We don't walk in each others shoes nor experience each others lives . What works for one person may not be at all the same for another. It is subjective.

Tolerance and understanding please. It would be a shame to have to see another thread closed in the sunny Portugal forum.

Thank you.
BEVS
Moderator.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 11:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi All

Ok it's now the 29th so what. What does all the worrying about Brexit amount to nothing because we as individuals or groups have no power to do anything apart from to worry about the future.

So let's just enjoy the sunny day outside, mine is a cuppa this early in the day

Happy Brexit to all.

Peter
lets the fun & games begin

EU plans to punish UK over Brexit: Le Pen

"British Prime Minister Theresa May says Britain has not received a multi-billion dollar exit bill from the European Union.

EU officials have said Britain will have to pay as much as 50 billion euros ($63 billion) before it leaves to cover EU staff pensions and other obligations.

May said in a BBC interview Wednesday that "there isn't a formal demand. The negotiations haven't started yet."

Until ALL the signatures are on the final document (two or so years down the road), might as well sit back & not worry about it, for the reason common folk have no control from here on in.

One can only hope the negotiations on both sides finalize a deal so that life for ex-pats living in the EU to continue on as they are pre-Brexit

Last edited by not2old; Mar 29th 2017 at 11:40 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
I believe we had this conversation a bit ago.
It was not a majority. It was a narrow 3% . Hence all this ire between the two camps.

"Point of order here please with regard to the turnout and result of the UK referendum.

It was not "half the electorate" nor a "majority"

The turnout out was 72% of the entire electorate not 100%. That would be over a quarter of the electorate that did not bother to vote or could not get their vote in for some reason. So, just 75% of the electorate got to have their say.

Out vote was 37.5% of those able to vote
In vote was 34.5% of those able to vote
No vote was 28%

That is a narrow margin of just 3% of the total electorate. Only a 1.3million difference over a total electorate of 44.7 million people. Not a majority.

As you were. "
We did but as I see it, everyone who was qualified to vote had the chance to vote & under UK rules, the votes of those that chose not to vote or who spoiled their vote were not counted at all & let's remember that under UK rules a majority of just one vote is sufficient to decide the vote.

Of those that did vote there was a clear majority that voted to leave so by the rules on the day, the democratic decision to leave was made & the Electoral Commission were obviously happy that the rules of the day were adhered to & the Referendum fair......Had that not been the case, I'm sure the remainers with Ms Miller at the forefront would have been in the High Court to argue that issue quicker that you could say knife.

All that said, debate now is pointless because A50 has now been invoked & the only thing we can all hope for now is to get an exit deal that's fair to all concerned.

As Mrs May said: This is now the time for us all to come together no matter how we voted as individuals.

I do however see your point about those that didn't vote & if I had my way it'd be compulsory as it is in Australia but unfortunately it's the rules of the day that must apply & those rules say voting is not compulsory.

However, if you take the number of non votes & divide them 50/50 OR count them on a pro rata basis according to the votes that were counted then the decision would still have been a decision to leave.

Therefore, as I see it, the decision was a democratic one.

Last edited by mfesharne; Mar 30th 2017 at 5:50 am.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt that those UK citizens who are legal residents when the UK finally does exit the EU, will be allowed to stay.
However, the flow of "new blood" will be much lower. People come and go, most seem to return after a while,while a few find that their Portuguese home is truly where they want to stay.

And there are many unknowns beyond the residence permit; taxation, pensions, and most importantly, health care expenses.

Tourism will go on as before I expect, but the flow of new British people arriving with the idea of joining us living here will surely be significantly reduced.

The whole "retire in the sun" subculture could be at an end; it's all in the details that have yet to be worked out. If the Greeks, Spanish, and Portuguese are not welcome to live and work in the UK, how can those governments welcome UK citizens down here?

Born on the island, live on the island, and die on the island.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.