Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Internet and phone

Internet and phone

Old Aug 30th 2016, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet and phone

I am with meo and pay 40 euros a month!
There must be a cheaper deal.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet and phone

Meo & the other options have endless packages & pricing & you just pick what you want.

The more you pay, the more you get but before you change to another company you need to check when your contract with Meo because if it hasn't expired, they're like a dog with a bone.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Indeed ! Most deals have a 'fidelity clause' (fidelização in Portuguese) that ties you in for two years, if you try to jump ship early they will come after you without mercy for the balance due for the remainder of the contract term.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with MEO and I pay €14.99 for unlimited internet (5.15 Mbps average download speed over copper wires) and €11.99 for landline, totaling €26.99 per month. The landline charge includes free calls to Portuguese landline numbers.

You need to speak to MEO and ask for some discounts. Call 16200 and select option 4, then option 4 again. You can ask for an English speaker if you like. I have to phone every 3 months to get the €8 discount on the internet, which is a bit of a pain but well worth it, and every 12 months to get the €5 discount on the landline. I've been doing it for years. I think they are worried that I will change to one of their competitors if they don't tempt me with discounts.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morro
I am with meo and pay 40 euros a month!
There must be a cheaper deal.
You don't actually say what you get for your 40 Euros a month ! For a mobile with Internet access I use their PAYG option which is Euro 3.- a week.Top Total 1GB is the deal
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I am in Tavira next week, I will telephone straight away. I heard about the 5 discount for telephone but not 8 for internet!
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I'm going to try that, only problem is my phone supplied by MEO is broken, do they supply a new one free?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 4:16 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I am with cabovisao. At the time we moved in, it was the only cable where we are.

Since we moved in NOS and MEO now have cable and have been relentlessly coming round pitching to us. Some weeks, we have had them come round 2 or 3 evenings trying to doorstep us. Started to get really annoying, every time we were having dinner they'd ring the doorbell and ask us about our internet.

Still, because our cabovisao deal was a few months from expiry, my wife called up and mentioned all the deals the others were offering (which they must be aware of, as I am sure their retention fell) so she got a good deal on renewal:

Just under 40 EUR for:

100 mbit cable internet
cable tv (no premium channels but have nat geo and discovery)
phone line
2 mobile SIMs, with 2000 texts, 2000 minutes and 2 GB of data

I think this is a pretty good deal. I'm at the office most of the time, but the 2GB of data is more than enough to ensure I have internet when I am out, at the beach, etc. and the wife gets her phone included too.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 12:00 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

We had problems with our MEO landline, or so we thought. When the engineer came to check it out there was no problem with our line or the phone. Then he spotted our second phone in the hallway and checked that out. It was duff so he replaced it free of charge although MEO had not supplied it.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I'll try the shop again then. Usual queue yesterday so didn't wait.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

if you're trying to phone for a discount it's mon-fri 9-3. now been on hold 60mins
gave up. on 2nd try now
Old Sep 12th 2016, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that next June (2017) roaming charges will be abolished for mobiles within Europe. So potentially UK tariffs (that carry far more data) may actually become the cheapest option.

Paul
Old Sep 12th 2016, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
My understanding is that next June (2017) roaming charges will be abolished for mobiles within Europe. So potentially UK tariffs (that carry far more data) may actually become the cheapest option.

Paul
Good one to add to the Brexit debate - it is an EU initiative which has yet to be finalised, just last week sent for review again as there are certain restrictions on time and duration of "free" roaming.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did it got through got the discounts had to confirm by texting back from Portuguese mobile. Now have a message to log on to website so better not hold my breath till I've done that !
Old Jun 1st 2017, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Zip13 is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding it is EU directive that has been on the cards for 2 years. UK telco's waiting till the last minute before implementing. Amazing how voda, 3 and the others are all now have advertising campaigns on TV currently saying how fantastic they are because they are ending roaming charges trying to bundle extras to be able to sell it as a plus for them, very very cynical. Oh and come brexit they will be free to charge again although it will be interesting to see who's greed gets the better of them first to start the ball rolling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.