Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Increase in airport shuttle bus fares

Increase in airport shuttle bus fares

Old Apr 28th 2013, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

repton55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Increase in airport shuttle bus fares

We have just had a quote for shuttle bus fares from Faro airport to Cabanas, it has gone up from £14 to nearly £40 per person in the space of 2 months Does any one know of a cheap shuttle service, we would use the train, only our return flight is at 7 o'clock in the morning.

Last edited by repton55; Apr 28th 2013 at 11:46 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:36 am
Just Joined

moonandsixpence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Increase in airport shuttle bus fares

I have heard good reports of the service offered by "resorthoppa". I think it's an international franchise as the website resorthoppa.com shows worldwide locations.friends have used it from Castro Marim to and from airport at faro, not used it myself.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I used the following company http://www.faroairportshuttle.com two weeks ago from the airport to Tavira (return) and it cost Euro 17. Have just checked it again using a couple of dates in May and it comes out the same.

John
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

This happened to me before with yourfaroairport transfers. Swapped to resorthoppa and have had no problems though you will read about people who Have.I think there are less problems to Eastern Algarve
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I used DIY Hols.

25 pounds for 3 people Faro to Tavira.

Excellent- will use again!!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your advice, we have now decided to hire a car, but will bear in mind all your suggestions for our future trips.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

Never heard of DIY Hols before. Did you actually have a licenced taxi or was it a mini bus. Was the vehicle in good condition with air conditioning?

Thanks for your help,
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

debsi6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used resort hoppa to Tavira several times, but last time (April 2013)discovered they have now contracted out to Green bus who don't use the motorway A22, so had a much longer trip to Tavira! not even on the EN125 , don't think I would use again, but was quite scenic though!
Old May 2nd 2013, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

I expect they used the N2 to St Bras then Fonte Bispo and Tavira. As I do not use the motorways this is the way I go to and from the airport.

I clocked it going along the 125 to our apartment in Pegada and the distance from the airport was 38k. Going via Fonte Bispo and St Bras to the airport it was some 5k longer but the time difference was minimal and no holdups or having to compete with crazy drivers on the roundabouts on the 125 or pedestrian crossings.

Going from Tavira that way, the first set of traffic lights you hit are by Mat Diver on the N2 and you only have to go a couple of cliks then to get onto the link road to the airport.

John
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

no we went through moncarpacho on a very quiet and bendy almost dirt track, then Luz and Tavira.
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

scots-pats is an unknown quantity at this point

We now book our transfers through Travel Republic as we have found them cheaper than Resorthoppa even when they offer a discount.
They also use Greenbus to do the transfers and it has never taken us more than 45 mins. to complete the journey from Faro to Tavira.
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I checked the price and it was dearer than resorthoppa. Can you book greenbus direct? The drivers told me their boss said if only one passenger don't use motorway. Never had any problems and for approx€10 per person per journey it's cheap. If you don't agree with motorway tolls then that's one up to each person that goes the alternative route
Old May 3rd 2013, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Green bus do have a website www.greenbus.pt which you can use to confirm pick up times if you are doing the return journey back to Faro airport, also on web site I think you can book direct with them. My trip to Tavira was 1hr 5min but as I said was very scenic!
Old May 3rd 2013, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

scots-pats is an unknown quantity at this point

Just checked Travel Republic and their price has doubled since we were over last month, unfortunately I then went ahead and booked with Resorthoppa as they are offering a 10% discount and then found out that Shuttle Direct were almost £8 cheaper, £28.54 for 2 people Faro - Tavira return.:
Resorthoppa don't do refunds even if the flight is cancelled for weather reasons which is why I wouldn't normally use them.
Resorthoppa are now owned by A2b Transfers.
Just shows it pays to shop around if you buy on the net.
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Travel republics prices have actually come down (not by much) from when I looked on their website last week. I phoned up Travel republic, and they told me that their suppliers had put up their prices. It is still £30 per person by shuttle service, but £22 per person by taxi