Reload this Page >

Importing Motorbike

Importing Motorbike

Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

123 Tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing Motorbike

Hi,
I have recently moved to Madeira and have a lot of problems to register my motorbike- that I have took with rest of my stuff to Madeira by ferry-inside my van.
Everything was O.K until I started the registration process here in Madeira-local customs told me that I have to declare the fact of bringing my own bike inside my own van.. I don't understand why I have to declare that I'm bringing my own bike (registered in UK)
If Portugal is a part of Europe... there is no need to declare movement of own goods,(Madeira is under the same customs law and has no exemptions in any part)
When I have arrived to Portimao no one asked me what I have inside my van, in fact there was no customs on the border at all ,it wasn't a surprise for me at that time as Portugal is in Schengen zone,so the question is why do they want to control movement of goods?
I believe that if they have some "special" rules they need to address them first to have rights to execute them later.

Does any one know how this works,maybe someone had similar troubles?and how to resolve them.

thanks
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

RocksAndBikes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing Motorbike

Dear Tony.

This sounds very strange, my bikes came buy van to Oporto. I am in the process of getting matriculation now, and, I can see no difference between them arriving in a van or me riding it off the ferry and riding into portugal...

I am using a company to do the matriculation.. if you want thier details to check it out let me know..

Tony.

Originally Posted by 123 Tony
Hi,
I have recently moved to Madeira and have a lot of problems to register my motorbike- that I have took with rest of my stuff to Madeira by ferry-inside my van.
Everything was O.K until I started the registration process here in Madeira-local customs told me that I have to declare the fact of bringing my own bike inside my own van.. I don't understand why I have to declare that I'm bringing my own bike (registered in UK)
If Portugal is a part of Europe... there is no need to declare movement of own goods,(Madeira is under the same customs law and has no exemptions in any part)
When I have arrived to Portimao no one asked me what I have inside my van, in fact there was no customs on the border at all ,it wasn't a surprise for me at that time as Portugal is in Schengen zone,so the question is why do they want to control movement of goods?
I believe that if they have some "special" rules they need to address them first to have rights to execute them later.

Does any one know how this works,maybe someone had similar troubles?and how to resolve them.

thanks
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RocksAndBikes
Dear Tony.

This sounds very strange, my bikes came buy van to Oporto. I am in the process of getting matriculation now, and, I can see no difference between them arriving in a van or me riding it off the ferry and riding into portugal...

I am using a company to do the matriculation.. if you want thier details to check it out let me know..

Tony.
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response, well this is very strange for me too, Madeira has the same Custom Law (I did the web research and they have the same law as rest of the EU without any exclusions) so why to hell did they ask me for a declaration of fact that I'm bringing my own bike into the island.In fact if they are right it means that I broke the law, soon when I have left the ferry in France.. which doesn’t make any sense. The customs asked me for my ferry ticket as well to prove when I have arrived here with my van, I understand that they trying to protect their own economy ( import tax) but this I believe is one step too far. My Portuguese lawyer is trying to resolve this case, and remind them that Madeira is a part of the EU,the only trouble is, is that it will takes ages and I'm just worrying that my Harley gets rusted before anything to be resolved.
At the same time a big warning to anyone who wants to bring vehicle to Madeira--KEEP ALL TRAVEL RECORDS,TICKETS ECT ---as local customs will ask for all documents, they even asked me for the original invoice to prove how much I paid for the bike (a few years ago!) and they were very unhappy that the price is in £ not in Euros...It's hard to believe in the things that are happening here, sometimes I think that the sun/wheather is not enough to balance the troubles that we have here with bureaucracy.
If you can please give me details of the company that you are using to do the matriculation,maybe they are operating in Madeira as well or if not ,can they give advice at least.

Thanks

Tony
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

PM Sent.

Originally Posted by 123 Tony
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response, well this is very strange for me too, Madeira has the same Custom Law (I did the web research and they have the same law as rest of the EU without any exclusions) so why to hell did they ask me for a declaration of fact that I'm bringing my own bike into the island.In fact if they are right it means that I broke the law, soon when I have left the ferry in France.. which doesn’t make any sense. The customs asked me for my ferry ticket as well to prove when I have arrived here with my van, I understand that they trying to protect their own economy ( import tax) but this I believe is one step too far. My Portuguese lawyer is trying to resolve this case, and remind them that Madeira is a part of the EU,the only trouble is, is that it will takes ages and I'm just worrying that my Harley gets rusted before anything to be resolved.
At the same time a big warning to anyone who wants to bring vehicle to Madeira--KEEP ALL TRAVEL RECORDS,TICKETS ECT ---as local customs will ask for all documents, they even asked me for the original invoice to prove how much I paid for the bike (a few years ago!) and they were very unhappy that the price is in £ not in Euros...It's hard to believe in the things that are happening here, sometimes I think that the sun/wheather is not enough to balance the troubles that we have here with bureaucracy.
If you can please give me details of the company that you are using to do the matriculation,maybe they are operating in Madeira as well or if not ,can they give advice at least.

Thanks

Tony
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Dear Tony.

Tony.
You using Agencia Maia?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

?? CENAPE ??? I think...

Who are Agencia Maia?

Originally Posted by gedscottish
You using Agencia Maia?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

?? CENAPE ??? I think...

Who are Agencia Maia?

Since you are in porto?! I was guesssing it may be them(agencia maia) as they have a good reputation.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really nice

I'm confused! If the OP is in Oporto, why is he importing in Madeira?

Last edited by Jon_D; Nov 14th 2009 at 2:30 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya

I am using them as I was not away of the Maia company... I have 2 to do, I am doing 1 with CENAPE but if not happy will move to Maia for the other... Do you have any contact information.

Thanks, Tony.

Since you are in porto?! I was guesssing it may be them(agencia maia) as they have a good reputation.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya

I am using them as I was not away of the Maia company... I have 2 to do, I am doing 1 with CENAPE but if not happy will move to Maia for the other... Do you have any contact information.

Thanks, Tony.
sure!

Agencia Maia
Largo da Maternidade Julio Dinis 1 e 2
4050-371

tel 2260647337/226064772
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

sure!

Agencia Maia
4050-371

tel 2260647337/226064772
Thanks,will try
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sure!

Agencia Maia
4050-371

tel 2260647337/226064772
just noticed I had an extra number in there....so should be 226064733