Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Importing a cat d car.....will this be a problem?

Importing a cat d car.....will this be a problem?

Old Jun 11th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a cat d car.....will this be a problem?

Originally Posted by Diddion
Hello everyone.

Well, I have ignored everyone's sound advice! I decided not to have the car repaired, due to the (unknown, but high) cost, and there is little doubt that the money would not be recouped, ever, because of its write-off status. I have, though now replaced it with a later version of the same car: a 2005 4.2 litre supercharged convertible. This has done 74,000 miles, compared to the previous car's 140,000 - I had used that car as my daily driver for business.

I am comfortable with the Portuguese roads, though will be taking cobbles and speed humps carefully! I am a bit less comfortable with some of the driving I have encountered, and won't, ever, be tempted to take a macho response to some of the very risky manoeuvres which some people seem to love. Actually, my main fear is that some of these models encounter a load of glitches, such as electrical problems, and it may be problematic to find a competent engineer able to deal with them (other than the main dealers). Any suggestions, anywhere in Portugal for this? ( I might well post that as a separate question, later.

Our plans to become Portuguese residents early in the next UK tax year remain on track. Be glad to get away from the UK weather and the mess of UK politics!

Good news on all fronts...... Portugal has plenty of good mechanics experienced with older cars but that engine will challenge most of them so you might have to spend time hunting one out before you need one.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Diddion
Hello everyone.

Well, I have ignored everyone's sound advice! I decided not to have the car repaired, due to the (unknown, but high) cost, and there is little doubt that the money would not be recouped, ever, because of its write-off status. I have, though now replaced it with a later version of the same car: a 2005 4.2 litre supercharged convertible.

Our plans to become Portuguese residents early in the next UK tax year remain on track. Be glad to get away from the UK weather and the mess of UK politics!
So you bought a UK XKR and intend to import it into Portugal?
Old Jun 14th 2017, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

A 2005 model will have the EU mandated common computer interface, so every garage big or small can access the car's CPU[s].
The gizmo has become so cheap, you can buy your own connection to a smart phone or PC for 10 or 20 Euros.

Other than the electronics, there's little engine difference between the latest top end car and a 30 year old fiat.

Parts can be expensive and/or difficult. But it's all available online of course.