Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

importation car: a nightmare

importation car: a nightmare

Old Apr 24th 2018, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: importation car: a nightmare

Originally Posted by mfesharne
+/- 6 years
That was before the huge stream of RNH people arrived.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by liveaboard
You'll have to rent a car I think.
Or buy one with the plan to resell it when you no longer need it.

When we moved to Portugal, we had a few unforeseen issues that cost money; however much you research and prepare, something will likely get you.

To feel ok about it all, I consign these costs to the 'immigration' account. They look smaller there.
We got toasted in property transfer tax as our lawyer assumed we were not PT residents at time of sale.

We missed the widow to import our big van without duty, so had to sell at an ultra low price. We lost several thousand on that one.

You're changing countries, excrement happens.
My advice is to accept that there will be unforeseen costs and try not to get too stressed out.

To buy another car quickly is not the best solution for us.

I now have 2 options:
1 try to stop the procedure, because our car is still spanish. If necessary with a lawyer
2 try to give power of attorney so that the official document will be send to a lawyer who has our power of attorney and the lawyer can send it to our holiday adress outside PT.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
To do this work in 1 day is perfect and everybody's wish.
How can you do this in 1 day?
Did they check your papers right away? And did you receive a document with your new plate number? Did the procedure change?
I don't much care if you believe or do not believe what I say. The IPO test they give you the result pass or fail for what reason would they not. Go to the Customs they are very helpful. You have been given a load of crap that you would rather believe and as you are paying the agent then you believe any thing he says.

Don't believe what I say Go to the Customs and get the truth.

Peter
Old Apr 24th 2018, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peterfc
I don't much care if you believe or do not believe what I say. The IPO test they give you the result pass or fail for what reason would they not. Go to the Customs they are very helpful. You have been given a load of crap that you would rather believe and as you are paying the agent then you believe any thing he says.

Don't believe what I say Go to the Customs and get the truth.

Peter
Peter, you went to Faro?
Old Apr 24th 2018, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

b
Originally Posted by Pilou
Peter, you went to Faro?
No as I mentioned in previous posts I went to Averio south of Porto.

Peter