Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Huge drop in EU nurses since Brexit vote

Huge drop in EU nurses since Brexit vote

Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Huge drop in EU nurses since Brexit vote

Hi All

There has been a sharp drop in nurses registering to work in the UK since the EU referendum, figures suggest.
Last July, 1,304 nurses from the EU joined the Nursing and Midwifery Council register, compared to 46 in April this year, a fall of 96%.
The Health Foundation said the findings could not be more stark and said they should act as a "wake-up call".

EU nurse applicants drop by 96% since Brexit vote - BBC News

Peter
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Huge drop in EU nurses since Brexit vote

I also saw that and my guess is it's at least partly scaremongering and/or anti Brexit etc.

I appreciate there may well be a temporary & very large drop in applications during this in between period but I really can't see people with such skills being refused visas etc after Brexit..... So perhaps it's another reason for everyone involved to get their skates on instead of dragging their feet as they've done for the past 12 months.

Time now for me to climb into my nuclear bunker & close the door before all the attacks begin! lol!
Old Jun 12th 2017, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I also saw that and my guess is it's at least partly scaremongering and/or anti Brexit etc.

I appreciate there may well be a temporary & very large drop in applications during this in between period but I really can't see people with such skills being refused visas etc after Brexit..... So perhaps it's another reason for everyone involved to get their skates on instead of dragging their feet as they've done for the past 12 months.

Time now for me to climb into my nuclear bunker & close the door before all the attacks begin! lol!
You need to realise that there will be many Europeans who will no longer wish to come to the UK, in fact I came across some today, many are aware of the hostility towards them - it's not all about visas & regulations!
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
You need to realise that there will be many Europeans who will no longer wish to come to the UK, in fact I came across some today, many are aware of the hostility towards them - it's not all about visas & regulations!
That's their choice but I reckon they'll be plenty that do want to work there still.

As for hostility, I can't comment on that because I haven't lived there for decades.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:10 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Provided the prospective employer is prepared to pay for the employment permit and the applicant can afford the costs of a visa.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

That's their choice but I reckon they'll be plenty that do want to work there still.

As for hostility, I can't comment on that because I haven't lived there for decades.
So you haven't seen or heard any evidence, whatsoever, then in the last year or so.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

So you haven't seen or heard any evidence, whatsoever, then in the last year or so.
Define "seen or heard"?

I've seen plenty of stories in the media going both ways but haven't seen any evidence personally because I haven't set foot in the country for longer than that.

If it was that bad there wouldn't be half the world willing to risk life & limb to get in there by any & all means possible.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

Contradictory post!
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Contradictory post!
In what way?
Old Jun 12th 2017, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have however seen the recent report on Sky News where they quote a survey of companies about various aspects of Brexit, the GE & the economy.

Which reminded me of this:

And this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_news

Which are just 2 examples of why I'm so distrustful of the media.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 8:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem is that ones moving here, and those already here do NOT know whether they will be allowed to stay after Brexit, another mess the current idiots called the government are doing nothing to allay the fears.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The biggest problem is that ones moving here, and those already here do NOT know whether they will be allowed to stay after Brexit, another mess the current idiots called the government are doing nothing to allay the fears.
Good point & they have my sympathy but the EU not May must be blamed for the ones already in the UK.

The media tell us that May has been trying to settle that since day 1 & wants to guarantee that but Junkers/the EU refuse to discuss it.

IMO that should be the 1st thing to be absolutely guaranteed.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point & they have my sympathy but the EU not May must be blamed for the ones already in the UK.

The media tell us that May has been trying to settle that since day 1 & wants to guarantee that but Junkers/the EU refuse to discuss it.

And the BBC was giving fake news

Immigration: May rejects points-based system for EU nationals - BBC News
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

May can settle this without the EU. Simple really.

I know of few Germans that are leaving the UK. All very well-behaved and educated. They have options other than the UK. Germany is the winner out of this situation. The job market in Germany is extremely good and we need nurses, doctors and scientist. Thank you Brexit 😘
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:46 am
Account Closed

In what way?
In the first sentence you imply the item is just propaganda, in the second you see to accept it as an inevitable fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.