Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How to contact ambulance service?

How to contact ambulance service?

Old Aug 15th 2015, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default How to contact ambulance service?

Some time ago I enquired as to what number to call for an ambulance and was told that I am an imbecile not to have noticed the 112 sign on all the ambulances.
A few hours ago I was fortunate to be able to test it. My wife and I took a long walk into town and she tripped over the uneven side walk. It looked like her elbow was dislocated and she could not get up.

I dialled 112 and the ambulance arrived and treated her but said they could only transport her to the government hospital and not to the private hospital that was the same distance away. They only work for the government hospital.

They were kind enough to call the taxi service for us and helped her in.
Just thought I will post this for those who think 112 will transport you to a private hospital.

I still have no idea yet as to private ambulance service but I will find out and post here.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 7:33 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to contact ambulance service?

What was wrong with going to the public hospital ?
Old Aug 15th 2015, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EMR
What was wrong with going to the public hospital ?
As always. You never get it. Think before you post. I pay for private medical insurance so why must I go to a public hospital when I can get better service at Hospital Particular?
Old Aug 15th 2015, 7:53 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

But why would you expect the public ambulance service to take you to a private hospital..
Its not a taxi service for those with private health insurance.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR
But why would you expect the public ambulance service to take you to a private hospital..
Its not a taxi service for those with private health insurance.
Are you for real? Read my original post again and see the gist of my post.
I said that I was told to phone 112. Get it now?
You keep tramping in your own shite.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 8:23 pm
EMR
Banned

112 is the public funded ambulance service for emergency health treatment at the nearest public hosoital.
Why would you even ask them to take you to your preferred hospital.
You could always of got a taxi from there to your " superior " hospital if you were unhappy with the proposed treatment.

Last edited by EMR; Aug 15th 2015 at 8:33 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

You have totally lost the plot. I pay for private medical and as it is way superior to the underfunded public hospitals and I want to get what I pay for. Do you not get that?

The 112 number is wrong for this as I stated but for some reason you refuse to read my first post.

I do not have UK health care that I can use here so I rely on my private medical.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 9:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
You have totally lost the plot. I pay for private medical and as it is way superior to the underfunded public hospitals and I want to get what I pay for. Do you not get that?

The 112 number is wrong for this as I stated but for some reason you refuse to read my first post.

I do not have UK health care that I can use here so I rely on my private medical.
What you really need to do, instead of getting into a public pi**ing contest with EMR, is to ask your private health cover people what number you should call to get an ambulance to take you to the correct hospital, howevver I very much doubt that, had you or yur wife collapsed with a heart attack you would have been very greatful for someone calling 112 and you getting transported to the nearest public hospital where they would have ried their best to save your life.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
What you really need to do, instead of getting into a public pi**ing contest with EMR, is to ask your private health cover people what number you should call to get an ambulance to take you to the correct hospital, howevver I very much doubt that, had you or yur wife collapsed with a heart attack you would have been very greatful for someone calling 112 and you getting transported to the nearest public hospital where they would have ried their best to save your life.
I would prefer to to be taken to a private hospital in the case of a cardiac event and you cannot deny that.
Why am I paying for private medical insurance if I cannot get transport to it?
This was my question in the first place.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

What you were saying then..in fact...was that you were given the incorrect information in the first place Ukkram...Seems like a 'no brainer' to me to have asked your preferred private hospital for their ambulance transport no.'for future reference' I have used both public and private hospitals and found very little difference. Like Mike says if it's an emergency most people would be grateful for any help..
Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

112 is a free telephone number to contact the emergency services in the majority of European and some other countries.

It is not a dedicated ambulance number.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm completely with Ukkram; you pretty much have to use 112 in an emergency. The public service has ambulances everywhere, and the best chance of a quick response.

They should take you to where you will get the treatment best for you. That they will refuse to do so is news to me, so thanks for the information, Ukkram.

The public hospitals are famously underfunded and overburdened. if your luck is good and they are able to help you, of course they will.

We also have private insurance, and would rather go to hospital particular in almost every case.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

As a p.s Ukk I asked OH this morning about this (he being connected with the AFPOP organisation) and indeed whilst there is a lot of info in their guide book about medical services there isn't an emergency no for the individual hospitals!! only their normal contact no ,which I guess we have to assume will send out an ambulance? He is going to make that a priority on monday to check out if that is indeed the case...
Old Aug 16th 2015, 8:20 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
112 is a free telephone number to contact the emergency services in the majority of European and some other countries.

It is not a dedicated ambulance number.
In this context it is the number for ambulances in an emergency.
In an emergency the last thing that would matter is what hospital you are being raken to.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 8:27 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
In this context it is the number for ambulances in an emergency.
In an emergency the last thing that would matter is what hospital you are being raken to.
I can't believe you said that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.