Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The Horror of Portugal

The Horror of Portugal

Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Horror of Portugal

12 dogs!? There's some amount of dog crap!
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:23 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Is this not yet another example of not doing your home work.
I can,t thi nk of a worst thing than a neighbour with 10 dogs, even one who barks a lot of the day and Portugal is full of them can drive you mad.
Don,t blame the Portuguese for trying to bring under control a situation that was getting out of hand.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live next door to someone with 9 dogs. They used to say it was their right to have them and for the most part they were no trouble, it was the things you don't realise that cause the problems, it's when we used to try and sit on our own garden or eat outside that we noticed them the most, any noise, even the quietest would set the dogs off, balking for ages, so much so we would just go back inside in the end and hardly ever used our own garden. We got on quite well with our neighbours and when we mentioned it they just said... "Well that's what dogs do when they hear strange noises".... We moved out after 6 months.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

6 dogs and 6 cats sounds more than generous.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:53 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
6 dogs and 6 cats sounds more than generous.
Even that gives me palpitations at the thought of the food bill.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Sounds to me like a wind-up.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:59 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi from the France forum!
This wouldn't be possible here, as the maximum limit of bringing pets (dogs, cats and ferrets) into France is 5.
How did the OP manage to take 22 animals into Portugal?
Old Jun 21st 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

We live on a farm, have plenty of space and love our pets
dogs, cats and horses

However i'd never have that many animals or anywhere near - you have reached the level where you need to be a fully qualified professional , complete with licence if necessary to be responsible for them.
Have in your mind this legislation isn't personal - no matter how well you look after your animals, i'd guess more people with that volume of animals wouldn't - and this is aimed at them.
Plus it is a huge inconvenience living next door to such a zoo - neighbours have rights too.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough

Rugbymatt, that's an endorsement for the "rent before you buy" advice. Or had you bought the place already?
Old Jun 21st 2013, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Alihampton I understand how bad you must be feeling but presumably moving to Pt was a permanent plan & you will, hopefully, outlive all of those animals.

To be constructive there are a few Algarve related forums & at least 8 Algarve related Facebook pages buying selling & exchanging things. Why don't you try & get them re-homed? I would sooner take on a domesticated from birth animal rather than a formerly wild animal from a shelter, apologies to those who work so hard at these shelters. Good luck.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 7:14 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by daisyman1951
Rugbymatt, that's an endorsement for the "rent before you buy" advice. Or had you bought the place already?
Nope, this was the UK... I live in the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

You got me there! Reminds me of Only Fools & Horses when Trigger said he had been using the same broom for 20 years!
Old Jun 21st 2013, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

paulrees is an unknown quantity at this point

I contacted Afpop, the expats assocoation which is good at this sort of thing, which says that 4 dogs are allowed on a normal license. This is the limit but you should contact the municipal vet who may be able to suggest any other legal way to allow more dogs to be registered (as it's the vet that would end up endorsing any such license amendment, this is the best person to ask)

If you are an Afpop member then its staff will do this for you. If not you could take a Portuguese speaker and see how you get on.

Paul Rees
algarvedailynews.com