Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

holiday home insurance Schofield/Intasure

holiday home insurance Schofield/Intasure

Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute
Default holiday home insurance Schofield/Intasure

Hi
Last year I posted here asking about IBEX home insurance for my place in Portugal. I went with them. Although I haven't made a claim, I am general happy with their coverage. However this year they amended their minimum security requirement which means my house may not fit their requirement. So I am looking somewhere else again.
I had couple of quotes from Schofield and Intasure, they seem to be mentioned in other expat forums. I am just wondering if anyone here has had experience with them. Or any Portuguese providers worth recommending?

Many thanks!
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice
Default Re: holiday home insurance Schofield/Intasure

Originally Posted by qianh
Hi
Last year I posted here asking about IBEX home insurance for my place in Portugal. I went with them. Although I haven't made a claim, I am general happy with their coverage. However this year they amended their minimum security requirement which means my house may not fit their requirement. So I am looking somewhere else again.
I had couple of quotes from Schofield and Intasure, they seem to be mentioned in other expat forums. I am just wondering if anyone here has had experience with them. Or any Portuguese providers worth recommending?

Many thanks!
There are plenty of companies to choose from as you will no doubt know by searching Google. We initially used Intasure and when we had a break in, although not much damage or goods stolen, they paid up promptly but the following year increased the premium so much they recovered what they paid out in a single premium, so we did not renew.

We looked at the larger insurance brokers but they were all similar in premiums and decided on a smaller broker with backed by a significant insurance company and have remained with them as they are still very competitive. A link to their web page is - Holiday Home Insurance Portugal | Portuguese House Insurance

We've had no further reason to claim, so unable to judge what the service will be like if we have to.

Regarding minimum security requirements, most insurers seem to want the same level in our experience.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Woodstore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Try ageas.pt. I found them very reasonable and they speak English. They used to be Axa then merged into Ageas. This office is located near Faro.
Email
[email protected]
Website

http://www.ageas.pt
Old Mar 20th 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Hi

Many thanks!
Deadlocks on entrance doors, shutters and/ or bars, grills or security locks on windows and patio doors are fairly standard requirements. An alarm will be required it contents exceeds a certain amount.
Ask Ibex for a quote from Hiscox. It was probably the best Holiday Home policy you can get.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply! I will look them up.
As to the security requirement, I found some insurers accept lever operated lock/ latch on windows, but some specifically asked for key operated lock. This is the case of Ibex this year. I am going to look into the possibility to install the lock system as well. well Schofield is pretty relaxed in terms of security requirement, which may seem a bit suspicious.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

wow - that is a security spec - years ago i went to prisons with lower requirements
when i had a holiday home here and costs started to seriously rise we decided this -
buildings insurance and third party only
we took a long hard look at the contents - thought about what might be stolen - realistically its very unlikely large pieces of furniture will be taken unless you live somewhere very remote - couldnt at the time find new for old policies - so when we put realistic values on the contents decided not to insure them
We did have a reasonably secure house - good locks - shutters etc
i appreciate its a risk - but over time we saved 1000s -more than enough to cover second hand replacment values

Last edited by carvoeiro; Mar 20th 2017 at 5:33 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply! I will look them up.
As to the security requirement, I found some insurers accept lever operated lock/ latch on windows, but some specifically asked for key operated lock. This is the case of Ibex this year. I am going to look into the possibility to install the lock system as well. well Schofield is pretty relaxed in terms of security requirement, which may seem a bit suspicious.
If you have sliding windows and patio doors try something like this:
https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Patio-...Door-Lock.html
I can say from personal experience that they stand up to tremendous abuse. Burglar tried jemmying window, completely trashing frame and window but could not get in.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
wow - that is a security spec - years ago i went to prisons with lower requirements
when i had a holiday home here and costs started to seriously rise we decided this -
buildings insurance and third party only
we took a long hard look at the contents - thought about what might be stolen - realistically its very unlikely large pieces of furniture will be taken unless you live somewhere very remote - couldnt at the time find new for old policies - so when we put realistic values on the contents decided not to insure them
We did have a reasonably secure house - good locks - shutters etc
i appreciate its a risk - but over time we saved 1000s -more than enough to cover second hand replacment values
Each to their own. I had to make a claim for damage caused by electrical power surge. Saved me thousands having cover.
There are many other perils covered beyond theft which are more likely, fire, smoke damage, water damage, etc, etc.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

totally agree mike - each to their own
ours was totally a holiday home - we turned off water and electricity when not in use - totalled up the easy removable contents and based the decision on that
were all different and i think we should all carry out our own risk analysis then decide
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Or any Portuguese providers worth recommending?

!
For sure it's the way to go, no special security needs etc and you've got them on , just be sure to state with a PT company that your home is not your full time residence 2nd home/emmigrant home.

Fidelidade, Allianz or Liberty are certainly 3 great companies. Oh and avoid the banks!
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Oh and avoid the banks!
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
For sure it's the way to go, no special security needs etc and you've got them on , just be sure to state with a PT company that your home is not your full time residence 2nd home/emmigrant home.

Fidelidade, Allianz or Liberty are certainly 3 great companies. Oh and avoid the banks!
Are the banks that bad gedscottish?

We are in the process of buying a place that we plan to move into in January.
I was thinking of just going with Millennium as I thought it would be easier.

I like the idea of buildings and third party only, we don't own alot of expensive kit.
We have had an "escaped water" claim here in the UK and I think it was just the carpet that cost alot to replace - we won't have fitted carpets in Portugal.
Our contents insurance here in the UK is only about £100 a year, even after our claim. If it's that cheap in Portugal I'd still take it out, so is it alot more there?

The fact that the official term used by the insurance company was "escaped water" still makes me laugh - it just doesn't reflect the scale of it.
It was a broken pipe pumping out 4 bar of pressure of water that took 20 minutes to turn off. Even with it running out of the property it was two inches deep before it was turned off, the noise of it was unbelievably loud.
Gone off topic a bit there - sorry.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Last year I was looking at Allianz home insurance and the quote was more expensive than ibex or U.K. Provider.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
Are the banks that bad gedscottish?
They are merely salesman who know nothing about insurance. How can they adequately advise on the cover you need, the suitability of policies or provide any support when you need to claim?

You might as well ask the greengrocer.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mike
They are merely salesman who know nothing about insurance. How can they adequately advise on the cover you need, the suitability of policies or provide any support when you need to claim?

You might as well ask the greengrocer.
Exactly, they targets to hit and they need to sell and once there is a problem they don't want to know. We've lost many customers over last couple of years to Millennium as they had great prices for a "year or two", fortunately our predictions came true and the following year they humped the prices up again and some of the customers returned, others returned looking for help as they had an accident and got no assistance from the bank.
Millennium is our bank and I get on well with the guys over in the bank and they'll admit they hate dealing with insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.