Reload this Page >

HELP: UK Car in Portugal but not resident

HELP: UK Car in Portugal but not resident

Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

RitaP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP: UK Car in Portugal but not resident

Hi all

I have been reading lots of forums and doing internet research but I can't find the answer to my questions:

- I reside in the UK
- I have second home in Portugal
- I want to bring my UK registered car and leave it in Portugal so I can use it while I am there

I understand I need to have residency in Portugal if I want to change the plate and registered it in PT. This is not my case, so what do I do to have it my car legally there ( after the 6 months legal period)?

Any help on this would be great
Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP: UK Car in Portugal but not resident

Originally Posted by RitaP
Hi all

I have been reading lots of forums and doing internet research but I can't find the answer to my questions:

- I reside in the UK
- I want to bring my UK registered car and leave it in Portugal so I can use it while I am there

I understand I need to have residency in Portugal if I want to change the plate and registered it in PT. This is not my case, so what do I do to have it my car legally there ( after the 6 months legal period)?

Thanks
If you use the search function you'll find this has been discussed many times over but the short answer is a foreign registered car can stay in Portugal for 6 months before beginning the PT registration process (matriculation) or being removed back to the country of registration for a further 6 months & it must be taxed, tested & insured in the country of registration all the time it's here....... If caught in breach of that criteria the PT authorities can & often will permanently confiscate & sell or destroy the vehicle.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to have residency to import your car but it may end up being more expensive both in costs of importation/matriculation/registration and ongoing road tax (IUC) than selling in the UK and buying a Portuguese car.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

The main issue here is whether the UK insurer would be happy for you to drive your car in Portugal for more than 30 days in a row (which is the standard limit). So maybe check with them first before considering anything else.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
You don't need to have residency to import your car but it may end up being more expensive both in costs of importation/matriculation/registration and ongoing road tax (IUC) than selling in the UK and buying a Portuguese car.
When i Matriculated my car i first went to the customs office in Averio to collect the various forms that need filling in. I was asked for my Statuary Declaration from from The Consulate, this is a form cost at the time £157 and it basically says that i am no longer a resident of the UK. This was needed before i could start the Matriculation process.

All the above is needed to import a car tax free.

Peter
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be a newly arrived immigrant (amongst other conditions) to be able to import a vehicle free of registration fees/taxes but anyone can import a vehicle if they're prepared to pay those fees/taxes.

RitaP can import her car (and pay those fees/taxes) without obtaining residency in Portugal or she can sell her UK car and buy a Portuguese car, which might be better value in the longer term. Either way, the outcome is the same - it will be a Portuguese plated car that will be kept for her use in Portugal.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
The main issue here is whether the UK insurer would be happy for you to drive your car in Portugal for more than 30 days in a row ....
Another matter of equal importance to insurance, with keeping a British registered car outside the UK for an extended period, is getting it MOT'ed each year.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

If RitaP chooses to import her UK car, it will cease to be a UK car after a maximum of around 6 months (and possibly much less) so none of UK Road tax, UK MoT or UK insurance will be needed thereafter.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
If RitaP chooses to import her UK car, it will cease to be a UK car after a maximum of around 6 months (and possibly much less) so none of UK Road tax, UK MoT or UK insurance will be needed thereafter.
Obviously.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

It was you who brought up the notion of getting the car "MoT'ed each year" because it's out of the UK for an extended period but RitaP says she wants to be legal and will therefore have to use a Portuguese car.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RitaP
Hi all

- I reside in the UK

Thanks
You can indeed register your car here as a non-resident. You'll have to pay the tax though and depending on the car, this can be very expensive. If it's RHD it will be pretty worthless for re-sale too. What is the car? (year,model etc)