Reload this Page >

Help! Driving to the UK

Help! Driving to the UK

Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Nicola_ad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Driving to the UK

Hi,

I am considering driving to the UK with my family around August time. There are five of us and it will cost quite a bit to fly and thought it might be cheaper to drive. Does anyone have any advise or know how much it roughly costs in fuel.
Thank you!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Driving to the UK

Your question in it's current form is like asking how long is a piece of string.

You either need to specify from where to where the journey will be and the vehicle used or simply check the fuel consumption on your vehicle and then check the distance on Google Maps and apply one to the other and then obviously check the ferry price for the time of year you want to go.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:10 am
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

This site will give you an idea of the driving costs excluding the ferry or channel tunnel http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:37 am
Just Joined

I will be traveling from ourique to Kent. I will check ferry prices and fuel comsumption on my car. Thank you!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicola_ad
I will be traveling from ourique to Kent. I will check ferry prices and fuel comsumption on my car. Thank you!
Working on Ourique to Bromley Kent, Google Maps say the shortest route is 2282 km and takes about 21 hours driving.

It says fuel costs are UKP360.95 but doesn't say what car or load that estimation is for.

You'll also have tolls and ferry crossing to add on. In both cases those prices will vary depending on the vehicle you use.

Also don't forget that's each way.

ADDED:

FWIW, the larger of my two cars would cost me at least E600 to drive that distance so they probably work that out on something like a fiat 500. LOL

Last edited by mfesharne; Apr 21st 2013 at 3:24 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

It might be worthwhile contacting the group bookings staff at the various airlines to ask if they'll give you a discount on that many tickets.

In the old days, they'd only discount for more than about 6 or 8 but times are hard for everyone & they might be willing to do something for you.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Dal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the rough

We do the trip every other year which is 1700 miles from door to door, where we live in UK to where we go in Algarve. Based on our car which does circa 55 mpg on a run it costs us just over three fill ups at £55 quid a tank so £165-175 in deisel. The tolls now run the fuel pretty close as a lot of the motorways in the Basque country are now tolled.

We book a simple Dover-Calais car and two people which this year was £42.00

We would look to do each way for about £300.00