Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Healthcare & Contributions

Healthcare & Contributions

Old Feb 15th 2018, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Healthcare & Contributions

Like "Loafing Along" we became resident within 1 month. We bought a house and before going to the notary we became resident, using the adress of our new house.

We are under retirement age and we are registered for free national healthcare in the Algarve. After that we asked for our 'Portuguese' EHIC and that was sent to our house within 4 days. Validity 2 years.
Everything went 100% smooth and easy!
Old Feb 15th 2018, 6:44 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Not wishing to be pedantic but as the op isn't yet resident surely the ehic is the first step to take to ensure cover in the event of an accident or sudden illness
The EH1C is not for those considering residence.
It is basic cover for holidays , business trips etc.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
... That said, whilst I appreciate it might be different rules in the Algarve (because they often seem to try to work to different rules there) It might be possible to register residency early. ...
There are no rules (for EU residents) preventing registration during the first three months of residency, just no rules requiring it.

It's only early in the sense that it's earlier than required by the rules.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Not wishing to be pedantic but as the op isn't yet resident surely the ehic is the first step to take to ensure cover in the event of an accident or sudden illness
Being pedantic, the OP is resident but hasn't registered residency yet.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, get residency registered and then get your health care paper from your local clinic.
If they refuse, they're wrong; so you'll need to do some legwork and prove your case.

I went [erroneously] to the social security office first, where the lady told me to get registered at my local clinic, and to tell them to call her if there was any problem.
They did call her, without me telling them to.
The social security office isn't actually part of it [as far as I know] but they seem to know these bureaucratic details well.

Now I have a related question; As a resident of Portugal, holding a carte do utente [excuse my inability to spell that please], how do I obtain health cover when I travel to other EU countries? Do I get a form from the health center, and if so what's it called?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Yes, get residency registered and then get your health care paper from your local clinic.
If they refuse, they're wrong; so you'll need to do some legwork and prove your case.

I went [erroneously] to the social security office first, where the lady told me to get registered at my local clinic, and to tell them to call her if there was any problem.
They did call her, without me telling them to.
The social security office isn't actually part of it [as far as I know] but they seem to know these bureaucratic details well.

Now I have a related question; As a resident of Portugal, holding a carte do utente [excuse my inability to spell that please], how do I obtain health cover when I travel to other EU countries? Do I get a form from the health center, and if so what's it called?
We went to the social security office and they gave us a form to fill in. In 4 days we received the European Health card at home (Portugal).
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

https://www.portaldocidadao.pt/web/d...guranca-social
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Thanks all.

Yes, I'm already in possession of an EHIC card but this won't cover me once I'm resident.

My original question was about entitlement to healthcare once I become a resident as several people I've talked to here have been declined when asking to register. Now that I have the correct information I can go to my local health centre and make sure they jolly well register me.

As for becoming a resident sooner than the 3 months, I'm not sure this would benefit me. My lawyer tells me that he registered me with the Camara for my IMI in January (I completed my house purchase in December) so as to avoid me being liable to paying for last year as well; I believe the year ends on 31st Dec. If I apply for residency sooner then they may well link the two.

In the interim, I've this morning registered for 12 months with the local private hospital. It's cost me 36 euros and should I need to see a doctor either for a routine or emergency appointment it'll cost me just 20 euros for the consultation. It gives me peace of mind should I need to see someone and actually, I may well keep it going for the forseeable so I have easy access to a doctor if ever I need it. Being in the local healthcare system means I won't have to worry about an enormous bill should I need an operation or something once my EHIC no longer covers me.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cherrypop wrote:

As for becoming a resident sooner than the 3 months, I'm not sure this would benefit me. My lawyer tells me that he registered me with the Camara for my IMI in January (I completed my house purchase in December) so as to avoid me being liable to paying for last year as well; I believe the year ends on 31st Dec. If I apply for residency sooner then they may well link the two.

I completed too in December. I became owner late December and I need to pay as of december what needs to be paid.

Strange that you are registered not in December but in January to avoid paying IMI?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
... My lawyer tells me that he registered me with the Camara for my IMI in January (I completed my house purchase in December) so as to avoid me being liable to paying for last year as well; I believe the year ends on 31st Dec. ...
That sounds a bit suspect to me. What date is shown against the declaration you'll find at https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...tarIMTForm.jsp?

I doubt the vendor will volunteer to pay it and if you did complete in December, the vendor will have proof that you are liable.

Last edited by RichardHenshall; Feb 16th 2018 at 2:33 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

I went with my lawyers instructions who had power of attorney to sign on my behalf. To be fair, he didn't complete the sale until almost the end of the month and the previous occupants had already paid up until the end of the year.

There had been some delays with the deeds - something to do with the sellers mortgage and a document from the bank which meant I wasn't able to be there for the signing as it was changed twice. Although it was all signed, the previous owners still had a lot of stuff in the house and I didn't move in until end of January.

I'll be speaking to my lawyer on Monday and get the full story off him as I don't want any comeback from this. I'd rather do things above board.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

It sounds like you have some justification for expecting the vendor to pay if they were still occupying the property at 31 December.

As for the previous occupants having already paid up until the end of the year, that doesn't quite ring true as the IMI due from the owner at 31 December of one year isn't charged or payable until March/April of the following year (ie in arrears).
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
It sounds like you have some justification for expecting the vendor to pay if they were still occupying the property at 31 December.

As for the previous occupants having already paid up until the end of the year, that doesn't quite ring true as the IMI due from the owner at 31 December of one year isn't charged or payable until March/April of the following year (ie in arrears).
Shows how much I know; this is a huge learning curve for me. I will check it out though as don't want any problems when the payment becomes due. I was told the vendors were OK with it all so I'll see what my lawyer says.

Honestly - I seem to have encountered problems every which way, mainly due to my ignorance I suspect. If ever I have to move house again I'll know what to expect. I've gone grey with the whole blooming experience.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

You aren't the first to start learning about these wrinkles afterwards.

DAMHIKT.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
You aren't the first to start learning about these wrinkles afterwards.

DAMHIKT.
People told me I was either brave or stupid making this move alone. I'm beginning to wonder which is the more accurate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.