Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Have car import tax regulations changed?

Have car import tax regulations changed?

Old Mar 18th 2018, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have car import tax regulations changed?

Originally Posted by mfesharne
When was the last time most of us did any serious work on their cars ....?
I did a lot of work on mine recently.
The workshop manual is of limited usefulness, but you can get them online these days.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 7:45 am
Just Joined

rhody is an unknown quantity at this point

It was always 12 months but some UK Govt websites have recently claimed 6 months & that link is the first time I've seen the 6 months mentioned on a Portuguese Govt website so I guess it's correct.

I've also seen claims that the resale limitation has been reduced from 5 years to 1 but have not yet seen confirmation of that on a Portuguese Govt website.

Quite honestly, I find these restrictions utterly pointless. Why should it matter how long you've owned it or how long you keep it?

And for that matter, why have to go to the trouble of supplying a CoC for the individual vehicle when type CoCs & tech specs are both published by the manufacturer?

Pointless bureaucracy at it's very best! (sigh)
Not that I enjoy bureaucracy but the CoC is actually an important document to show that the car in question conforms to EU specifications without having to inspect it. Believe it or not, almost all manufacturers make cars for multiple markets and often you can't tell that the specs are different from just looking at the car or examining the VIN. The VIN will always have the country in the first few letters, W for West Germany (now for all of Germany) for example but that doesn't mean it was made for the EU market. But it is a matter of trust, if the car was registered in say Germany then it most definitely conforms even if it was imported from North America it would have to be modified first and inspected. I've had zero problems getting the CoC for both German and Japanese cars I have imported from Denmark to Germany. Not surprised about Land Rover though. Shitty cars, shitty service I guess.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get one from Mercedes once.
There was a dedicated department for that, and as it's not a revenue earner for the company the desk was incredibly overworked with a big backlog.

I haven't heard anyone say Mercedes made shitty cars with shitty service, but it took a while to get that CoC from them.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I had to get one from Mercedes once.
There was a dedicated department for that, and as it's not a revenue earner for the company the desk was incredibly overworked with a big backlog.

I haven't heard anyone say Mercedes made shitty cars with shitty service, but it took a while to get that CoC from them.
Just got mine from Mercedes last November. Took 2 days. Maybe speaking German helps, not sure though.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhody
Not that I enjoy bureaucracy but the CoC is actually an important document to show that the car in question conforms to EU specifications without having to inspect it. Believe it or not, almost all manufacturers make cars for multiple markets and often you can't tell that the specs are different from just looking at the car or examining the VIN. The VIN will always have the country in the first few letters, W for West Germany (now for all of Germany) for example but that doesn't mean it was made for the EU market. But it is a matter of trust, if the car was registered in say Germany then it most definitely conforms even if it was imported from North America it would have to be modified first and inspected. I've had zero problems getting the CoC for both German and Japanese cars I have imported from Denmark to Germany. Not surprised about Land Rover though. Shitty cars, shitty service I guess.
It's important in as much as it's a required document but as I see it, the VIN number will tell you where & when it was made & for which market & the type CoC is usually freely available AND the vehicle has to undergo a thorough matriculation inspection to check it still complies with the relevant standards all of which (as I see it) makes the individual CoC rather pointless.

Let's face it, it only details the standards/tech spec of the vehicle on the day it rolled out of the factory not what it might have been adapted to since......... which is one of the reasons for the inspection.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

It's important in as much as it's a required document but as I see it, the VIN number will tell you where & when it was made & for which market & the type CoC is usually freely available AND the vehicle has to undergo a thorough matriculation inspection to check it still complies with the relevant standards all of which (as I see it) makes the individual CoC rather pointless.

Let's face it, it only details the standards/tech spec of the vehicle on the day it rolled out of the factory not what it might have been adapted to since......... which is one of the reasons for the inspection.
Well, that's definitely over the top then. In Germany, that's why you have the CoC so you don't have to have the car inspected top to bottom. Now I see the frustration - not looking forward to it...
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

.....Just in the process of getting one for my Jaguar. £100 including VAT, so probably the cheapest thing I have ever bought for this particular money pit.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
.....Just in the process of getting one for my Jaguar. £100 including VAT, so probably the cheapest thing I have ever bought for this particular money pit.
Damn but that made me laugh!
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Mitzi2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Diddion
I just received mine from Jaguar LandRover, pretty painless process as long as you can photograph the VIN code. It was located in three different locations.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Mitzi2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to disagree with your last comments about LandRover. Owned two over the last four years and never a problem. The CofC process was clear and easy. As long as the requested documentation is sent with the application you will receive the CofC by return.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, that's definitely over the top then. In Germany, that's why you have the CoC so you don't have to have the car inspected top to bottom. Now I see the frustration - not looking forward to it...
The matriculation inspection really is thorough........ they even made me fit a different exhaust box because the existing one didn't have an EU approved stamp on it.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd just bought a Portuguese car you wouldn't have needed to do any of these things.

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
If you'd just bought a Portuguese car you wouldn't have needed to do any of these things.

The particular car I’ll be bringing is unllikely to be available in Portugal. When I bought it there were only two on sale throughout UK
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

If it was just about cost we'd all be driving Toyota & Aixam but sometimes it's not about miles per gallon but rather smiles per gallon.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzi2012
Have to disagree with your last comments about LandRover. Owned two over the last four years and never a problem. The CofC process was clear and easy. As long as the requested documentation is sent with the application you will receive the CofC by return.
JD Powers Quality rating: 2 out of 5, Reliability 2 out of 5. Maybe your cars were Wednesday made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.