Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Has anyone changed the name

Has anyone changed the name

Old Dec 6th 2017, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone changed the name

of the house/property they have bought? The reason I ask is that the place we are buying is rather unfortunately named. I think someone didn't do their homework when naming it and they have inadvertently named it something which they might view as charming but is colloquially quite rude in Portuguese.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

David_c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone changed the name

Originally Posted by Shanorme
of the house/property they have bought? The reason I ask is that the place we are buying is rather unfortunately named. I think someone didn't do their homework when naming it and they have inadvertently named it something which they might view as charming but is colloquially quite rude in Portuguese.
Hi there,
What do you mean by changing the name of the property? Is it a commercial estate, like a bar/restaurant?
Regards,
David Rodrigues Custódio
Old Dec 6th 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a house.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Update: spoke to my lawyer and she said that once the deeds are in my name, the name of the house can be changed.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 10:00 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, come on, three replies and nobody has asked what the name is?

Old Dec 7th 2017, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Our house doesn't seem to have a name or number, but the address we were told to use translates as "pig pool on the moor" and usually evokes s friendly snicker.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

In the village in Wales where we are an English couple moved in and fair do's they had a go and took the words Ty for House and Bach for Small and named their house Ty Bach (small house quite literally translated)

The only problem being the Ty Bach in Wales is one of the terms used for the toilet.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, lets just say that 'Vagina Farm' is the polite version of what the house is called. My OH doesn't find it quite as amusing as I do.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 3:04 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very popular wine from this neck of the woods called Periquita. It means female parakeet apparently. Though my wife who is Brazilian finds in hilarious as over there it means, the same thing as the name of your house - in very strong terms.

When her mum came over a year or two back, we ordered a bottle at a restaurant and I made sure to mention with a very straight face that I love the taste of periquita.

Last edited by captainflack; Dec 7th 2017 at 3:06 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Well, lets just say that 'Vagina Farm' is the polite version of what the house is called. My OH doesn't find it quite as amusing as I do.
I can understand why you want to change the name!
Old Dec 9th 2017, 9:57 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Your problem will be getting any new name recorded/used by the various organizations that already have it in their records. The property name on my EDP contract is not my house name (and never was) - when I tried to get it corrected, after much faff I was basically told (in typical EDP customer services fashion) "that's the name that was used when the contract was taken out - tough."

Your second issue is that locals will always remember the current name. Again, my house is built in taipa and it rained a lot during construction (50 years ago) so people said it would fall down later, "Cai logo". When talking to locals, the name of our house gets blank looks, but everyone knows "Cai logo"
Old Dec 9th 2017, 10:23 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
There is a very popular wine from this neck of the woods called Periquita. It means female parakeet apparently. Though my wife who is Brazilian finds in hilarious as over there it means, the same thing as the name of your house - in very strong terms.

When her mum came over a year or two back, we ordered a bottle at a restaurant and I made sure to mention with a very straight face that I love the taste of periquita.
The wine is named after the grape - now known as Castelão. The grape was planted on J M Fonseca's property "Cova de Periquita" and the wine was the first commercially bottled red wine in Portugal (1850).

The other meaning of periquita is known in Portugal too - although "passarinha" (little bird) is more common

Luckily, the Portuguese prefer expresso, because it would be hard to sell the famous brand of vacuum filter coffee here....... for the same reason the new Hyundai crossover will be called the Kauai here too......